Newbie - safety measures for keeping the dog cool? Ice-powered AC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HoundyBoy

Hi All! I've read a lot of posts about heat sensors and do plan to get one, but also looking for ways to keep my dog cool in case of power or AC failure when I'm away from the RV. I purchased a few battery powered fans and going to test them to see how much cooling power they actually have as well as how long the batteries keep the fans going. In my searching, I found this intriguing ice-powered AC unit and am wondering if anyone here has tried one? And importantly - do most RV parks have ice machines? As I'm planning to travel with only a scooter and no toad, I'm thinking that routinely purchasing and transporting bags of ice would be a huge pain...Have also seen posts about portable ice makers, but not sure if making enough ice for this unit is a realistic option? But thinking if I can figure out the ice part, this looks like a great idea. Thoughts? Thanks for any advice!

http://batterysavers.com/battery-operated-fans/sale-frozenaire-battery-operated-air-conditioner/

Have not seen an ice machine at a rv park. Some will sell you bags of ice if they have a store. I have an icemaker, but you have to be on shore power to use it. Would get quite expensive running a generator to make ice. How often would you expect the power to go out. Maybe have the camp owners call you in the event of an outage.

I am probably just being paranoid, but so worried about losing power and my dog overheating. I'm more concerned about a short or an AC failure vs the park losing power...Am I being paranoid or is this a reasonable fear? I'm totally new at this...

HoundyBoy said:
I am probably just being paranoid, but so worried about losing power and my dog overheating. I'm more concerned about a short or an AC failure vs the park losing power...Am I being paranoid or is this a reasonable fear? I'm totally new at this...
I kind of think this is a little unreasonable. Power in parks is sometimes less reliable than in houses but not much.
The other thing is that it takes a lot longer to heat up an RV to unsafe levels than a car, it's a much greater volume.

Thank you for the reality check. Daytime high is supposed to be 94 degrees at my destination this weekend and I was like, "OMG I'm leaving my dog in a vehicle!!!" Deep breath. It's all good.

My first Yorkie and I spent the summer in KC in our 73 TT with no A/C I worked nights so we slept through the heat of the day it was 100+ for about 10 days too. We had a nice spot on top of a hill under a shade tree.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom