Travel Trailer Friendly Route over Mountains off Highway 1 Before Big Sur

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samanthahhi

Hey All!

We were going to do our dream trip of driving up Highway 1 from LA to San Fran, but the bridge is down around Big Sur and won't be repaired before our early July travel date. So...I am trying to see if there is a travel trailer friendly road from around the town of Plaskett (off Hwy 1) over to King City, CA. I see Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd, but it looks perhaps a bit too windy for a travel trailer.

I am confident in my driving skills, but I would like to find a decent route. Any thoughts?

Samantha

Nope, there isn't, which is why the town of Big Sur was so isolated when the bridge came down and Hwy 1 was closed further south by landslides.

Forget Nacimento-Fergusson Rd., it's very narrow, winding and storm damaged in several spots.  Plus you'll encounter heavier than normal traffic as locals are using it to get in and out of their homes.

Here's a link to the Current Hwy 1 Closures and a more graphic version at http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/highway_conditions.html.

I do recommend going north as far as Hearst Castle and taking one or more of the 9 available tours.  Then double back to Hwy 46 and go inland to US 101 at Paso Robles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom