Hwy 1 Driving Southern Cal Concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samanthahhi

I just came across the post about motorhome limitations in Southern Cal (something that had not occurred to me before to check out) and now I am scratching my head having an "oh, crap!" moment. I definitely need some more experienced help.

I have a 27' travel trailer and a Yukon. My total length is roughly 50'.

My plan was to drive into San Diego, then continue on up Hwy 1  and veer over to I-405 around Seal Beach to Van Nuys (Balboa RV Park).

Next leg was to leave Van Nuys via 101, cross over Topanga State Park (Hwy 27) to Hwy 1 to drive through Malibu, Carpinteria, Solvang and on up to the Cambria area.

Now I am getting a little wigged out about restrictions and such. What is it I need to know traveling with a travel trailer through Cali?

Samantha

It's not Hwy 1 that I am concerned about. It's getting on Interstates that is concerning me. I grew up in Cali in my younger years and I know they can be a bear. Which leads me to my next question...is it possible just to stay on Hwy 1 and find campgrounds around LA and not have to go into Van Nuys?

Samantha

Interstate 10 is easy so long as it is not rush hour. There is a campground in Malibu and one in Ventura. There is also camping on highway one.

https://www.maliburv.com/

You're wise to detour around the Seal Beach to Santa Monica parts of Highway 1 - that section is 30+ miles of tight, crowded city driving.  The 405 is usually OK during mid-day, if you get caught in slow traffic just stay calm and follow the guy in front of you - eventually you'll get there.

There are 3 public campgrounds along the coast.  All are crowded and require advance reservations.

Dockweiler Beach RV Park is on the beach, but it's just an asphalt parking lot with hookups.  An added feature is being almost directly beneath the LAX takeoff path.  Bring earplugs.

Between Malibu and Oxnard are Leo Carillo State Beach and Point Mugu State Park

If you want to explore Los Angeles, Balboa RV Park is a good base.  There's nothing closer to L.A. proper and it's two miles north of the L.A. Metro Orange Line which gives transit access to Hollywood and downtown Los Angeles.

I'd continue west on Hwy 101 from there, or double back taking I-405 to I-10 in Santa Monica to take Hwy 1 along the coast to Ventura/Oxnard.  All of the roads from the San Fernando Valley to Hwy 1 cross over the Coast Range and are very narrow with numerous sharp turns - not trailer friendly at all.

rvparkreviews.com is a good resource.  Click on the US map to bring up a state map, then zoom in to find RV parks and campgrounds in the areas you're interested in.

Great advice all. I actually grew up in Long Beach which is why I am not fond of the idea of driving through the traffic, but I think I am going to stay on Highway 1. I can be patient and I want my son to see the area I grew up around. I did - just now - get an RV spot at Malibu RV. I was going to stay at Balboa, but was concerned about Interstate traffic. It would have been 30 mins closer to my ideal, but this way, my son gets the beach experience.

Okay...deep breath. I can do this! lol!

Thank you, Seiler. Yep...perhaps, I will jump onto the 405 around Seal Beach to expedite things a bit.

Since I retired in 2010 I have been out of the loop on the maddening traffic in So Cal area. I think the 10 freeway ends in Santa Monica which is just South of Malibu. This area is crowded no mater which day your in town. Thousands of little cars zipping all around and messing with their cell phones not paying attention to anybody else. Your RV park will be on the East side of Highway 1.Idf you can head up around Ventura there are places right on the beach where you can stay first come basis. There is a frontage road turnoff but I don't know the name sorry. I have often noticed all the RV's parked there with envy while traveling Northbound on hwy 101. Its before Santa Barbara...

My favorite place to camp on one is at Emma Wood Beach State Park in Ventura. No hookups but the surf will crash on your windshield at high tide.

30 years ago I used to enjoy trips to Los Angeles from San Diego. If you left after morning rush, it would be reasonable. Things have changed. There is no predictable time that you will not encounter stop and go, or sometimes full stop traffic toward or around L.A.  What can make it worse is road construction/repair, especially where they keep the same number of lanes during construction by shaving off some of each. It can be an RV driver's worst nightmare. Sorry to be negative, but I live in a San Diego suburb. Mostly I head east rather than north, but if forced to go north, I try to stay inland.

Traffic on 1 near any town will be 'interesting'.  San Clemente, Laguna, Newport Beach, Huntington Beach.  Newport and Laguna are the worst any time of the day.  On the other hand they are the most interesting.

I suggest you use RV Parky, Woodalls, or something like them to find RV parks along the way.

Oceana north of Santa Barbara is a great place.  These's a state campground and a private RV Park right there.  Beach camping might be allowed in Carpenteria still.  Not sure.  Several places in the Monterey area.

Oceana is just a stones throw south of Pismo Beach. We have rez art a nice clean well run smallish park for Memorial week. You can still drive on the beach with your RV/trailers/Sand Toys etc. 5 ucks will get you on the beach for the dy. Thousands of people camp out there during the summer season. Weather is very cool compared to the South region...Hard to believe that is part of Calif as I know it....

P.S. the state beach has been closed for renovations for the last 2 years...not sure if its up and running yet...Will report back after the 24th of this month...Alaska King Crab legs pretty soon!!!

Back
Top Bottom