Winnebago Journey 36C - for Full Timers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jshireman

We have been looking at the Winnebago Journey 36C Diesel .. Years 2000-2003. I have two main questions.. Are there any main issues I should be considering for this model? Also, they tend to have either the 275 or 300 HP Cummins Diesel... would I regret purchasing the 275...? We are looking at this for full time RV'ing meaning we will be all over the U.S.A. traveling including mountains. Worried about enough HP/Torque with the 275 particularly with a Toad. 

I expect you will be somewhat underpowered with either, but it's not that big a deal, you just get to the top a little later. We have a similar MH and find it very well suited for full timing.

Ernie

If the torque ratings of the engines are similar or the same (which I suspect), you will have essentially the same performance. Torque gets you up the hill.

I would prefer the 300 hp version, but probably not a big deal. A weight to horsepower ration around 100:1 is a rule-of-thumb for adequate motorhome performance. Make sure it has the 6 speed Allison transmission, but I think all of those did.

The chassis batteries won't get charged from shore power on that vintage unless you add something like a Trik-L-Start (not a big deal either, price or difficulty). That's only a consideration if you will be staying in one place for more than several days.

Thank you for the information Gary and sorry for taking so long to respond. I was not aware that at least for those years of Winnebagos hooking up to shore power (unlike my current travel trailer) does not automatically charge the coach batteries. I'll have to investigate that further.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I would prefer the 300 hp version, but probably not a big deal. A weight to horsepower ration around 100:1 is a rule-of-thumb for adequate motorhome performance. Make sure it has the 6 speed Allison transmission, but I think all of those did.

The chassis batteries won't get charged from shore power on that vintage unless you add something like a Trik-L-Start (not a big deal either, price or difficulty). That's only a consideration if you will be staying in one place for more than several days.

It does charge the "house" batteries, but not the chassis batteries. Both are charged by the alternator with the engine running. The "house" batteries supply the lights, some monitors, fans and refridgerator.

I drive a 2004 Journey 36G with 330 Cat engine. I buddy has a 300 Cat engine. I out pull him up the mountains. I would recommend not going below a 300HP.

Jshireman said:
We have been looking at the Winnebago Journey 36C Diesel .. Years 2000-2003. I have two main questions.. Are there any main issues I should be considering for this model? Also, they tend to have either the 275 or 300 HP Cummins Diesel... would I regret purchasing the 275...? We are looking at this for full time RV'ing meaning we will be all over the U.S.A. traveling including mountains. Worried about enough HP/Torque with the 275 particularly with a Toad.

My 2?.

I have an almost 40ft MH and I'm by myself and I would not want to have anything smaller - and I'm not full time yet.
I have a 350hp with 1050lbs of torque and a computer program to monitor things and have seen all of the 1050 lbs of torque being
used and up to 335hp being used going up hills - not really mountains and I drive 55-58mph most of the time.  Slower going up hills.
IF your the type that drives the speed limit (70+) because you can, you will be disappointed with the lower hp and torque of the those engines.  IF you can drive slower like I do then you may be OK most of the time.  Depends somewhat on what you have for a toad.  A Smart car or a Suburban makes a pretty big difference when climbing hills - especially with a smaller engine.

So IF your not dead set on the unit you mentioned I might keep looking for a little bigger unit to full-time in with a bigger engine
and torque rating if your really planning on going all over the USA, because there are mountains in this country.  ;D

An extra 2-6 feet in length can make a huge difference in livability and for full time use that's what you want is livability.  JMO.
Don't be afraid to go a little bigger then you think you need as most people upgrade because they bought too small and then upgrade again.

RedandSilver said:
...An extra 2-6 feet in length can make a huge difference in livability and for full time use that's what you want is livability.  ...Don't be afraid to go a little bigger then you think you need as most people upgrade because they bought too small and then upgrade again.
Bingo! We went the upgrade route with sailboats going from 13' to 40' in about five steps. We were determined to buy our last and final motorhome first and avoid the upgrade circus.

Back
Top Bottom