EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Ready for 5G ?  (Read 513 times)

Dreamsend

• ---
Ready for 5G ?
« on: May 06, 2017, 03:07:04 PM »
It's coming. I understand the equipment is about the size of a public supply electric power transformer -- doesn't need more huge towers. 

Article below just verifies it's existence but doesn't explain much.
http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/02/03/indianapolis-test-market-ts-new-5g-network/97398376/

And gee, I just bought my VERY FIRST smart phone last week on Verizon 4G LTE.  Samsung Galaxy S7.  Found out upon researching yesterday  that Samsung abandoned HDMI cable to TV with the S6 model.  I'm so confused about how my communications and entertainment are gonna work in the RV, I can't even form intelligent questions to ask. :-[
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 03:08:43 PM by Dreamsend »
Linda with kitties Sarah & Samson
2017 Ford F250 Lariat aka Gypsy Rose

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Re: Ready for 5G ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 03:20:44 PM »
Most pages load almost instantly on my Chromebook on 4G and video streams to my TV just fine so I could care less about 5G.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Life list of birds:
https://goo.gl/photos/xuP9zPD2KP2swN1g8
Grand Canyon photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7

docj

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 03:27:35 PM »

And gee, I just bought my VERY FIRST smart phone last week on Verizon 4G LTE.  Samsung Galaxy S7.  Found out upon researching yesterday  that Samsung abandoned HDMI cable to TV with the S6 model.  I'm so confused about how my communications and entertainment are gonna work in the RV, I can't even form intelligent questions to ask. :-[

Your S7 has Miracast built in and so do many smart TVs.  Miracast was designed to mirror smartphone and PC displays onto a TV.  On your S7 Miracast is called Smart View and the button for it is on the "notification shade" that pulls down from the top of the screen when you drag your finger down it.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 06:19:04 PM »
In spite of all the hype, there is not yet a complete, finalized 5G standard, from all I see in the tech world. And there are no 5G phones. So, unless I'm totally misunderstanding all the stuff on the tech sites out there, AT&T's 5G is really just them starting to put in some equipment that will be needed when 5G rolls out for real. For example, read this IndyStar article from early February and this NetworkWorld article from mid-April.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 07:02:40 PM »
Still carrying a flip phone here.
2006 Dutchmen Denali 29 RL fiver
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500
1996 Dodge Ram 1500

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 08:00:22 PM »
In addition, most of that spectrum T-Mobile won at auction that they plan to use for 5G will take several years for the affected TV stations to transition away from it or shut down.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Ernie n Tara

• ---
  • Life is Good - Together
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 07:31:12 AM »
I'll be surprised if we see wide spread 5g in less than five years. We probably won't notice much difference anyway. The primary advantage of 5g is that it uses that valuable sprectrum mor efficiently.

Ernie
Ernie 'n Tara

2011 Winn Journey 34y
2012 Jeep Rubicon - Dozer (orange - kinda)
2006 Jeep Wrangler

Bill and Debbie

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 10:01:35 AM »
My 4G LTE streams perfectly when I have good Verizon coverage. Unfortunately their unlimited data plan drops to 3G after 10GB of data usage. Makes streaming Netflix a little problematic. May go back to my 24GB plan.
William Bonsell
Poulsbo, WA

2010 CT Coachworks Siena 35V
1999 Cherokee Sport with Roadmaster Falcon 5250

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 11:13:58 AM »
First... Why do Cell companies put their antennas at the top of tall things?

BECAUSE HEIGHT IS MIGHT

5G, 6G, 210 G, won't change that.. You eithe put up a relatively few TALL towers which can see for miles and miles.. Or a whole lot (Relatively) short "towers" that can see perhaps one  city block if you are lucky.

Second. HDMI to TV..  Samsung did not abandoned it with the S-6 they just chanced how you do it.. Chrome Cast.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 08:20:37 PM »
My 4G LTE streams perfectly when I have good Verizon coverage. Unfortunately their unlimited data plan drops to 3G after 10GB of data usage. Makes streaming Netflix a little problematic. May go back to my 24GB plan.

I'm currently about 2/3 through a movie I'm streaming from Amazon. As a test, I'm streaming it on my unlimited 3g only flashed Verizon Jetpack, with zero buffering so far...

(http://www.speedtest.net/result/6279402560.png)
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 11:07:25 PM »
I stream Netflix on 3G with a Novatel USB modem usually every night. But John is correct. The single biggest improvement to my streaming in the RV was when I added a push up antenna to my cell antenna. Just getting up above  the noise from all the other rigs in a park made a huge difference. 

I saw where T Mobile purchased about 60% of the new 600 mhz bandwidth recently. They plan to roll out 5G on it, but it is going to take a while. 
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 06:22:13 AM »
I might add on my Height is Might comment.. IN some big cities with lots of high rise buildings (Say NYC) you'd need to be in orbit to get decent range.. So they put up hundreds of what they call "Micro-cells"  And yes, these are good for about a city block, or one side of it..

Hotels often have Microcells inside the building as well.

T-Moblie (And I assume others) Sell microcells, about 100 bucks.. Plug 'em in to your Wi-Fi (Cable or Fiber-optic) Router and you get 4-G coverage for just a couple hundred feet
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Hosted by Over The Network