Crazy outside temp reading on dashboard of 2015 Itasca Viva

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ripken

Just noticed the outside temperature reading on the dashboard of our 2015 Itasca Viva (Ram ProMaster chassis) is 138 degrees!  I'm guessing this is some sort of sensor error but can anyone help a know-nothing with how to fix it?

I can't help with the technical part, but is it covered by the warranty? I would think the temp system is part of the chassis.

Ripken said:
Just noticed the outside temperature reading on the dashboard of our 2015 Itasca Viva (Ram ProMaster chassis) is 138 degrees!  I'm guessing this is some sort of sensor error but can anyone help a know-nothing with how to fix it?

If this is the first time this has ever been seen, I would worry just yet.

You didn't mention what time of day you saw this.

Check it at night and see if it reads correct or close to it.

Could have been a Fluke.

Our outside dash temp reading always reads high for awhile after the engine is shut off. Once the engine heat dissipates, it reads normally. Our sensor is mounted just inside the grill, but it's an aftermarket setup installed by the previous owner.

We've had it for about a year. It has about 8500 miles on it.  We noticed the temperature reading Saturday afternoon on a 60 degree day. I started the engine cold today and it was reading about the same.  The time and other readings on the dash don't seem to be affected.

Is the outside temperature display is integrated into the dash display or is it an add-on display?  Our Horizon has a separate display for compass direction and outside temp.

The sensor on my '04 American Tradition was mounted under a black area of the front cap, so any tine the afternoon sun was on it the temp soared well over 100. 1-teens were common, but I never saw 138!

Conversely, in the morning, the reading was slow to rise to ambient, probably because the surrounding metal & skin stayed cool until the sun hit it later in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom