Dual-output from 3000w inverter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunes

Hi all, new to this community and looking for help on an inverter question.

I have a new 3000w inverter I am trying to install in the trailer. Exact type is here:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-eliminator-mobile-power-inverter-3000w-0111846p.html

According to the inverter manual, even though it is a "3000w" inverter, each outlet on the inverter can only handle a maximum of 1000w. If I use 12/2 wire to connect the inverter to the AC distribution in my camper, can I connect the wire to TWO of the outlets to increase the wattage available?

Basically what I am asking is - does anyone know if the phases are synchronized on the output of an inverter? I presume they are... but.. ?

If I can't do this, then what is the point of these inverters with 2000w, 3000w, and more when you need to divide the load among many outlets, making you unable to distribute it?

I was curious enough that I decided to open up the inverter. Interestingly, inside it, there are *only two* two pairs of wires running to the board that powers the outlets - one called AC 1 and one called AC2. Both pairs seem to be coming from the *exact* same leads on the inverter's board. The wire on these seems pretty thin though - I am surprised that it would even be able to handle 1000w.

Basically - after opening it up I still don't know the answer :/

That model has three outlets @ 1000W each. You should be able to parallel 2 or 3 outlets to get a total of 2000W or 3000W from the unit.

Be aware that you need a lot of battery capacity to get anywhere near that much wattage. 2000 watts draws a continuous 170+ amps from the battery bank, so probably needs 400-500 AH of battery capacity to run for even a few minutes.

That's a very strange looking inverter.  Two sets of battery input lugs - are you supposed to split the battery leads in half to run them to both terminals?  Take each set of lugs to a different battery?  Or just run redundant cables to the posts?

Then dividing up the output to 3 different outlets.  Strange.

Not to mention it's modified sine wave and not true sine.  I'd think twice about it.

I found this quote from the Motomaster manual on the JustAnswer.com site:

"If connected with loads of over 1000 W, two sets of same size wirings must be connected to the SAME battery kit. Damage may occur if using one set only or if connecting two sets of wirings to different batteries separately."

That suggests to me that the inverter's individual internal input wiring may not be adequate to carry the full rated load, requiring the paralleled connections from a multiple battery bank.  Or it could be that internally, there are actually two smaller inverters with paralleled outputs.

I'm guessing it is actually three 1000W inverters (one per outlet), with shared 12v (battery) sources. Indeed rather strange.

In the USA I would recommend any of several others brands that are more traditional in design and don't cost any more, but maybe in Canada your choices are more limited. You won't get pure sine at that price, though.

Here's a 2500 watt MSW inverter for $229 (US).

I decided to open the inverters face and have a look.
It's wired by a double run of 18awg feeding 3 breakers then to each receptacles. Only info I get on the breakers was @115v it trip @1500w... So not quite 15 amps really.
Tested each wire for continuity to confirm they are fed at the same place on the board.

18awg !!!! For 25amp max running (3000w/120v) !! hehehe well well. FWIW  two 18awg is the same as one 15awg... in terms of resistance.

So really two choice arise, either make two male-end plug parallel and run 10/2 wire to panel. I'm not sure how the breaker will react... but "should" protect equally.
Or open and make connection directly whit the 2x18awg and 10/2 wire using twist on wire connecter.
In both case protect at the panel with a 25 amp breaker.

Attachments

• 3000w Inverter 1.jpg
    3000w Inverter 1.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 3000w Inverter 2.jpg
    3000w Inverter 2.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 3000w Inverter 3.jpg
    3000w Inverter 3.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 3000w Inverter 4.jpg
    3000w Inverter 4.jpg