Advice on TT size...21 footer or 26 footer - 2010 Ford Exped EL 4x4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skibuoy

I'd appreciate some advice.  I have the above vehicle.  Just bought a used 30 foot flagstaff v-lite.  Clearly too big for my TV...going to sell it now that I'm smarter!  Fortunately got it for a good price....

We are trying to decided between the 21 foot vnose or the 26 footer.  Looking at several used trailers.  The 21 dry weight is between 5100-5400 pounds (actual mfr'd weight).  The 26's are between 6200-6400 (again, actual mfr'd weight).

We travel pretty light, and I've weighed everything we put in the trailer, including the propane, food, clothes, etc.  Adds up to about 600 pounds.

I'd like to have hitch weight around 12.5% - 13% I think, based on research and my experience towing the 30 footer. 

My truck:  131" wheelbase.  GCWR 15K; Max TT wt: 8900; Max Hitch Wt: 920; GVWR: 7720.  I'm using an Equalizer WD hitch.  Curb weight with me and full tank of gas is 6500.  Add 2 more passengers, the WDH and 100 pounds of gear and I'm at 7010, which leaves me about 700 for hitch weight.  (Please tell me if I'm calculating that wrong, I've been a bit confused as to whether I need to count my own personal weight into the totals, and it makes a big difference for the amount remaining for hitch weight.)

I am thinking I'll probably sell this truck in 2 years and get something heavier.  But I don't want to be foolish in the interim either.  Would like the 26 footer, but not sure.  I'm an experienced trailer puller with good sized boat, large utility trailer and big popup.  But nothing quite this big.  Appreciate your insights!

Whether you count your own weight depends on what number you are computing or comparing to. The trucks Payload Rating, for example, includes an allowance of 154 lbs for the driver, but Cargo Carrying Capacity (CCC) does not. You count anything and everything against the GVWR and GCWR.

Thanks Gary.  So, I do need to count my weight against the 7720. 

Any thoughts on my quandary?

The most your loaded truck can weigh is 7720#.  Your weight with full fuel and you in it is 6500#, so you may add another 1200# to the truck.

Your calculations are correct.  Your weight must be included as you will be in the truck.

Dry weights on campers are very bad numbers to use.  Most campers have options that push the weight higher.  Often, propane, as you noted, is not included.  Other common omissions include a battery, sewer hoses and fittings, water hose, any electrical surge suppression gear or plug adaptors, etc, etc.  The better number to use is the TT  GVWR.  Regardless, I bet a year from now, the camper will have 1000# or more of gear on board.

You are clearly on the right track to do this safely.  Keep asking questions and we will help as best we can.

Back
Top Bottom