Probably will be deleted or blocked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
B

BoonDocker Bob

First , I want to say , that the description of this forum is VERY incorrect .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing

Seems , unless you are one of "clicks" who owns one of those HIGH dollar new coaches , what you say here , is basically worthless and is ignored . I gave advice on a few different things and  it always seems the same . IGNORED .
I am a truck driver and have a few MILLIION miles under my belt . ALL of which are accident /incident FREE . 
I am basically writing this hoping that a few of you might "see the light" and maybe that others are forewarned .
A member wrote that right after buying a used trailer , they went on a 400 mile trip through the mountains . The member than stated that as he went further and further , his brakes were getting worse and worse . When I questioned about his abilities and knowledge of descending and climbing mountains and stated that the problem might not be mechanical or electrical , and it could be the drivers abilities , it was totally ignored and overlooked by ALL . Then when I tried aiding a another member who had clunking in the rear of his Class C when he would put it in gear and start to move , everyone kept telling him it was a U joint , to which I agreed and then I went on to also tell him that it could be a yolk - bad rear end ( differential ) . And I also told him how to check it himself that way he would know for sure . Again ... TOTALLY ignored and then I had a admin try and say that it was basically OK for a rear end to make noises ... but to check the fluid to be safe .
Since this forum for basically for you folks that have BIG monies and BIG  RV's and honestly do NOT want help ... then I am out of here . I am a boondocker , and for MANY reasons . Some of which most of you would NOT like and then some of which you might .
Either way ... IMO , this forum is NOT for someone who does NOT have deep pockets and does NOT think going to the campgrounds that are 5 feet apart with "childrens activities" and scheduled things to do - is camping .
Sorry ... but , this place is NOT for  me and hopefully others READ posts like this BEFORE becoming a member here .
Today is my last day and this is my last post here .
I am one who has a LOT of money to waste on WIFI , or a 52 inch LED TV for inside my RV , and I do NOT believe my RV should cost more than my house ( $450,000 or more  is a LOT of money just for an RV that will only get used a few times a year )
I go camping to go camping . NOT sit so close to someone elses RV that if you sneezed , they would say "God bless you" due to the fact that they heard you .
I believe camping is camping , getting out , enjoying nature , leaving it the way it was when you got there , NOT killing some poor creature just because you arrived and are uncomfortable with it being there .
Nature is here for its beauty and we to see it and enjoy it . NOT destroy it .
As much as I hate to make judgment on most ( NOT all ) of you here .... I would have to say ... this an RV club , NOT  a forum .  Seems its like keeping up with the Jones's here ...
( thats probably why the BOONDOCKING section posts are  scarce  )
So , all you enjoy and take care . Again , I do NOT belong here and it was a BIG mistake for me to join .
NOT my kind of forum .

Toots for now

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
:-X :-X :-X

Before leaving us, give some members here a chance to reply. You may feel differently by the end of the day.

I respectfully disagree about the forum but will add that most folks don't want to admit their faults and/or don't respond to their own post anyway. Too me all reply's to my post are considered, good, bad or indifferent. I too own a not so expensive rig.

Hate to see you go, but you have every right if you wish.

Boondocker, having participated in this forum on and off since the CompuServe days I can tell you that regrettable you have missed an opportunity, and literally thousands and thousands of others would agree. I would respectfully suggest that while you were concerned with making sure everyone knew about your experience you missed the fact that the overwhelming majority of members of this forum do not own one of the "high dollar" rigs you mention. In fact, my own 14 year old rig, something I'd always hoped I could own, is but a dream for many. And my prior rigs included a 1994 gas Bounder, ancient cabover camper, and small Class C & B RVs.

Successful participation in this forum requires only two things, the ability to listen to other's advise if it has been requested and the desire to help others. What is unnecessary and probably not well received are those who's primary goal is to first make sure others know how experienced they are. The reality is that even first timers may have a learning experience to share that could be valuable to others, while others with lots of miles under their belt may yet have lots to learn.

As someone who has benefited immensely through this forum from the experience and knowledge of others, and who now volunteers in an effort to give back, I can say with 100% certainty that none of this has anything to do with the size of one's rig.

Best wishes in your future endeavors.

My RV cost me $4200 and my opinions are very well respected. But then again I don't shout at people using lots of all caps to make my point. Generally when someone is shouting I pay no attention to them. Learn some manners and people might start respecting your opinion. You need to understand your opinions are nothing more than your opinion. Opinions are like butt holes, every one has one and every one else's stinks.

Too bad Boondocker Bob didn't take the time to get to know folks here before coming to his conclusions/opinions about us and deleting his account. Even the subject line of this topic shows a lack of understanding of a forum that has been around 23 years.

Tom said:
a forum that has been around 23 years.

Tom, off topic but what was the name of that CIS offline reader one could use? It would login to CompuServe, get new messages then log off. I remember using it exclusively to follow the RV Forum.

Scott, there were several offline readers (OLRs), but the original was TapCIS (DOS based). OzWin was Windows based. Wigwam and Virtual Access were among the others.

The early OLRs made two passes - one to grab the headers of new messages/threads, allowing you to decide offline which ones you wanted to download/read; and the second pass to download the messages/threads you'd selected, and to upload any messages/replies you'd composed offline.

I certainly do not have a big bucks rig, but everyone has been really nice to me on here, offering tons of great ideas and advice when i have asked for it.  I am sorry that you did not feel as welcomed as you wanted.  Sounds like you have expertise you could share with a lot of folks if you were willing.  It is a great forum to connect with people sharing a love of camping in whatever form of camping they choose.  Wishing you well.

Tom said:
There were several offline readers (OLRs), but the original was TapCIS (DOS based). OzWin was Windows based. Wigwam and Virtual Access were among the others.

The early OLRs made two passes - one to grab the headers of new messages, allowing you to decide offline which ones you wanted to download/read; and the second pass to download the messages/threads you'd selected and to upload any messages/replies you'd composed offline.

I remember TapCIS. Don't think I used the two pass method, always read everything. Course, back then I had paired ISDN, so bandwidth wasn't an issue  ;)

back then I had paired ISDN, so bandwidth wasn't an issue

Many of our forum members were on expensive cell phone minutes and limited bandwidth. Coupled with the fact that CIS used to charge by the hour for accessing their system, meant that anything that made the process more efficient was very welcome. Often, forum members would borrow a fax line at a campground office, and some used an acoustic coupler at a pay phone.

I was continually traveling to far away lands, and was often happy if I had a wet string to connect.

BoonDocker Bob said:
As much as I hate to make judgment on most ( NOT all ) of you here ....

"I am going to anyway".  This line pretty much sums up the whole post. Some folks have such a big chip on their shoulder they can't see over it. 

I don't know anyone on here that  started out with a high dollar rig. Shoot, 40 years ago I started out with a beater truck camper. The RV bug bit me and I never got over it.  Probably a similar story to many of us here.  I will make the attempt to help anyone, but apologize to no one for my passion.

It's sad to see him go for that reason. One has to have somewhat thick skin to actively participate on a forum any where. This is the easiest forum to be active in that I've seen. I have given correct advice here that was pretty much ignored all together, given advice that was ignored, but the same advice was accepted when someone else said the same thing, I have a thread with 375+ views, but only 4 replies, all helping me out with an issue, but no comments when I posted the verified problem, and gave the details of the fix. I didn't post for recognition, I posted to help out people that may have the same issue, and how to go about getting it corrected the right way, and not having to spend money doing it. I guess if I was thin-skinned and petty, I would have been out of here long ago. I also haven't seen the "affluenza" issue here. Yes, there are some folks here that may have more than others, but I haven't seen it flaunted in front of my face. Quite the opposite I must say. Go surf some of the other RV forums and get on the wrong side of "the Newmar" owners. You better have your flame-proof suit on. One in particular, it seems if you don't own a Newmar, you and your rig is crap, and they don't mind letting you know it. I don't see that kind of thing here. There's even good folks here that don't even own an RV getting and giving good advice.
Boondocker Bob, just take a breath, and come on back, believe it or not, folks read what you say, and learn from it.

Absolutely KD, happens all the time. And it's because sometimes folks don't want to accept the bad news about their problem. It's human nature. Then eventually somewhere down the line the info sinks in.  Shoot, this is a forum, not an interrogation. Information flows back and forth here.  Take what you like and move on.

Apparently "BoonDocker Bob" is not familiar enough with online forums in general to realize that many/most of our suggestions and advice posts go unacknowledged by the OP. Personally, I take heart from knowing that whether or not my post helped the OP, it may at some point help another reader when they are faced with a similar situation and recall what I wrote. I know that has happened to me on a number of occasions, and if I could recall where I read the helpful post, I would certainly go back and thank the poster.

Hopefully I didn't (unintentionally) contribute to his "who owns one of those HIGH dollar new coaches" perception; I recently responded in a "Prevost bus conversion" topic that I prefer a Newell, and posted a photo of Chris and me alongside a nice new coach outside the Marathon Coach factory in Coburg, OR.

Our current modest motorhome is 14 years old, and we have no plans to replace it. We owned our prior modest motorhome 15 years before I decided it had too many/expensive issues to fix.

Yeah, but you don't go park it out in the boonies Tom, so therefore you can't be a real RV'er. And if you did, you would probably just make to much noise anyway.

There are always members on every forum that get huffy when they don't get the attention they feel they deserve, and then have to start a thread so they can publicly bow out.....whatever.

I realized nobody cares what I say when I was 10, so I'm over it. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom