Best routing from Portland, OR to Eureka, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nolongerrv

We want to travel around the first of June from Portland, OR to the Eureka, CA area and wonder what the most efficient routing would be to see the area between Crescent City and Eureka then back to Portland (we are meeting our daughter at the airport in Portland as she wants to travel this segment with us). We will at most have about 1 1/2 weeks as she can't be away from work longer than this). We will be traveling in our 33 ft Class A with a small toad. I don't want to get into trouble with hairpin turns or difficult situations so wasn't sure if traveling the stretch on the 101 between Crescent City and Eureka would be a problem. Once in a park in the area we can take the toad and explore the area. I had thought about taking Hwy 199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City, then traveling on down the 101 to the Eureka area. Then departing there via Hwy 299 to Redding and back up I-5 to Portland. Any suggestions for routing and RV parks would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like your concerns are centered around whether the highways are suitable for your rig.  I haven't traveled 299, but I have driven 199 from Grants Pass to Crescent City in a 31' MH with toad. It is a little windy in parts, but certainly doable. It is listed as a byway, so it is not intended for express traffic. Take it slowly and you will be fine. The other option, of course is to take 101 from Cannon Beach. Driving south on the Oregon coast is awe-inspiring, because you get the best views. There is no part of that road that I would be worried about with your rig.

OTOH, I-5 is a pretty drive, especially from Eugene south. So, I-5 to 199 to 101 is a good choice. I live in a rural area in the Willamette Valley, and occasionally I get on 99 behind some farm implement and have to go 20 mph for a few miles until it turns off the highway. It is part of rural life, and it allows you to appreciate the scenery. So, if you are worried about going slowly on 199, don't be. Where the road allows, you go 55-60; elsewhere, you go whatever speed is comfortable. There are no turns you cannot negotiate.

I envy you this trip. If you go down 101, I would recommend Sea and Sand RV Park near Depoe Bay, Beachfront RV Park in Brookings and Shoreline RV Park in Crescent City. These are all right on the water. You may notice that I love the ocean. If you like state or county parks, try Beverly Beach State Park or South Beach State Park. In Florence there is Harbor Vista County Park. We also stayed at Heceta Beach RV Park, which is about 2 blocks from the beach. When we were there in late summer, there were tons of huckleberries available to pick right between the campsites. I would be making reservations now. The Oregon Coast is very popular in summer, but you may be just on the edge of school getting out. Campsites will become less available, when the school year ends.

Have a wonderful family trip, no matter which route you take.

We enjoyed 18 once we got clear of metro Portland, the Evergreen museum at McMinnville would be worth a visit if you are into that kind of thing. 26 would also be a good bet bringing you to Cannon Beach, it is spectacular. It would be a shame to miss part of the coast.

I5 south to just south of Eugene and head west to Reedsport, 101 south.  There is a really nice park at Winchester Bay which would be a good first night.  Take your time down the coast.

I live in Eureka. We just came down from Grants Pass on 199. It is absolutely gorgeous. Almost all highways in Oregon and California with the exception of I5 are windy and narrow in some spots. Due to the heavy winter rains this year and a lot of slides many roads are under construction and there may be delays. Highway 101 just south of Crescent City has some delays, also 299 which is open hourly on the hour west of Weaverville. But the coastline is beautiful and I can recommend great places to visit depending on your interests.
Susan K

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom