Worried about traveling to Hill City, SD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yellowroses

I am new to RV driving and have about 2 weeks of experience on FLAT land and gentle hills from Florida to Kansas. I made a reservation for Horse Thief RV park in Hill City, SD for a week from now and have been reading the travel logs of others on the internet. I am getting scared about the drive and need to make a decision now about cancelling and rerouting to Hermosa, Rapid City or some place flatter. I read online about twisty roads with sheer drop offs and got worried. I am driving a 36 ft. class A pulling a toad solo.

Can anyone tell me about the route from I-90 to Hill City? It shows it as a motorcarrier route in my map book.

I would appreciate suggestions for base camp, if you have any, as well as information concerning the roads in and out of the Black Hills. I don't mind driving the "scary" roads in my little Nissan Versa, but can't see being brave/careless in the big rig.

Sincerely,
Kate

You really shouldn't meet any un-navigable roads for your rig. US 16 and US-385 are both good roads.
I am not particularly familiar with that RV Park, but the roads in the area are very good.

The toughest part of that ride will be going through Rapid City, which is perfectly flat.

The "scary" roads in the area are Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road. Both are beautiful, but neither are possible in a big rig.

Joel

Thank you for the quick replies. The decision had to be made today. I guess I'll keep that reservation, after all.:)
Sincerely,
Kate

T.A.N.S.T.A.AF.L.

Back
Top Bottom