2003 Tundra + 2006 28' Layton TT...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

03tundra

Hey guys we are new to this forum, but not to RVing... And thanks in advace for any help offered.  We have a 2003 Toyota Tundra, tow package, V8 which I believe has a tow rating of 7000 lbs.  We just purchased a 28' Layton TT (a big upgrade from our pop-up!) and were concerned about our weight.  Should we use a weight distribution hitch/sway bar to aid in towing?  To find out our total weight, can I stop at any weigh station along the highway or are we allowed to stop (is it for big rigs only)?  Also, when it comes to tire pressure of the truck while towing, we should be close to max pressure allowed, correct?  Is there a place to find the correct pressure for the trailer also?  Any other advice is welcome, and thanks again!! 

03tundra said:
Hey guys we are new to this forum, but not to RVing... And thanks in advace for any help offered.  We have a 2003 Toyota Tundra, tow package, V8 which I believe has a tow rating of 7000 lbs. 

That 7000 lb figure is good only for the 4.7 L engine.

We just purchased a 28' Layton TT (a big upgrade from our pop-up!) and were concerned about our weight. 

I checked their website and found it to be the worst I have seen for providing specs.   However, since you own the rig, look on the DOT plate on the left outside at the front.  That plate should list the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR).   That is the number we like to use for gauging towability with a given truck.   

Should we use a weight distribution hitch/sway bar to aid in towing?

Absolutely!!  Get a good weight distributing system with an integral anti-sway system.   Such systems include the Reese Dual Cam, the Equal-i-zer, the Hensley Arrow, among others.    I frankly have a bit of a prejudice against friction bar anti sway systems -- they must be adjusted by guess and gosh.  Be sure your hitch receiver is a class IV or V.   A lot of SUV and light truck hitch systems are really class II or III - much too light for a largish TT.    Replace the original if it is a class III.

To find out our total weight, can I stop at any weigh station along the highway or are we allowed to stop (is it for big rigs only)?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.   I would use a commercial public scale (look in the Yellow Pages) - call and ask.  We have a weighing procedure for trailers in the library which you should see.
By the way, Layton claims to give you a scaled weight for their units on a plate on the trailer.  If true, that is a marvellous idea.  However, this is an empty weight.   It would behove you to fill the water tank, fill the propane bottles, and put all your gear and food in the trailer ready to travel, and then weigh it.   That will be useful information for you to use.

Also, when it comes to tire pressure of the truck while towing, we should be close to max pressure allowed, correct?  Is there a place to find the correct pressure for the trailer also?

I have LT rated all terrain flotation tires on the truck.   I go to max pressure as indicated on the sidewalls.  Same with trailer tires.  However, this will get me an argument here.   I go on the idea that the penalties for over inflation within limits are much less severe than for under inflation.   By the way, compare your actual trailer weight, less tongue weight, to the load ratings of the tires.  Could be interesting.

A lot of SUV and light truck hitch systems are really class II or III - much too light for a largish TT

How can I find out what class the hitch is?  I looked underneath and in the owner's manual with no luck...

As for the rest, we have the 4.7 L V8, our GVWR is 6200 lbs., and thanks for the advice on the weigh stations and tire pressure!! 

Did you receive any brochures with your travel trailer?  The brochure package that came with our trailer included information for our Carlisle trailer tires and indicated that they should be kept at the max rating as shown on the side of the tire.  Others on this forum  have previously suggested that you get a loaded weight on each trailer axle and then go to the trailer tire manufacurer for your RV and use their weight/tire pressure tables to determine the correct weight for your specific combination. 

To find out what Class hitch you have, you might try stopping at one of the U-Haul hitch installation centers or other hitch installation facility.  I'm sure they could tell you what you have.  The hitch structure should be securely attached to the Tundra frame.

Good luck with your new TT!

How can I find out what class the hitch is?  I looked underneath and in the owner's manual with no luck...

I suppose you could assume a Class IV given the tow rating.  You might ask at a dealers service dept if any of the lads have experience in trailer towing and ask him.  I would worry about asking someone who sells hitch receivers -- there is an obvious conflict of interest there. 

Thanks for all of the great advice so far... I am sure I will be back often for more tips.  Also, my wife and I love your Library section, we have found a ton of useful information.  This is absolutely the best place that we have found for RV information/chat... Happy RVing everyone!  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom