Septic flies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vmayf

I'm looking for suggestions as to how to get rid of septic drain flies in our RV. We are full-timers parked with a continuous connection to a septic tank, and the flies coming up the toilet are getting worse & worse. I don't really want to put an insecticide down the drain if i can help it. Anyone else have to deal with this who might have some suggestions as to how we can address it? Thank you for your help with this growing pesky problem ~V

Do you leave your black tank valve open all the time?  If it was me, I would get a spray can of bug killer and empty the entire can into the black tank down through the toilet after you dump.
You could also put a bend in the hose just before it goes in to the CG sewer. Create a trap. This will stop anything from coming up into your sewer hose. (stinky slingky).

When we camphosted for months on end, we left our gray valves open all the time, but only opened the black tank valve to dump when the black tank was full. I always made sure I had a trap in the discharge hose. You definitely don't want to leave the black tank valve open all the time. The liquids will drain out, but the solids will remain in the tank. You will then end up with the poop pyramid Tom mentioned. One way to get rid of the flies is close your black valve, fill the black tank FULL of water with the tank flush to eliminate all available room in the tank, then flush the toilet. Most will be drowned, but you probably will get a few fly out. Then dump the tank. That should take care of them.

I am assuming that you have an Rv toilet rather than a residential one. If that is the case and you are dumping directly into a septic /sewer system, you need a trap in the line.

Jack L

Thank you for the good ideas everyone. This helps me know what i need to do now. ~V

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom