EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Logging into forum  (Read 407 times)

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
Logging into forum
« on: May 10, 2017, 05:56:11 PM »
In the last couple of days I started having issues with connecting to the forum so I'm hoping one of you PC gurus can help me.
My browser is Internet Explorer (I/E). The forum is my Home Page. The way I had it set up, when I'd click on the I/E icon, it would automatically take me to the forum without the need to log in. What happens now, it takes me to the forum but I have to insert my User Name and password. I also check the box "to always stay logged in" but it doesn't help. Any ideas?
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Logging into forum
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 06:11:05 PM »
Rene, as I mentioned in email, it appears that your browser is deleting the forum cookie that would log you in. You need to find the cookie in your browser and check the settings to check the duration and to see if it's being deleted. I haven't used Internet Explorer for many years, so I have no idea how to display cookies, but suspect it's in your security settings. When you asked about posting on the forum, I assumed you were asking about the location of cookies in IE.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 06:33:13 PM »
When you asked about posting on the forum, I assumed you were asking about the location of cookies in IE.

That too I guess.
AKA  Pep N Mem

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 07:36:17 PM »
I think I fixed it. I logged into the forum. Then I copied the address and pasted in my settings for the Home Page, and then I shut down my PC.  A few minutes later I powered it back up,  then once all my icons uploaded, I clicked on the I/E and it went right to the forum page of "Recent unread topics" right where I want to go.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 07:39:59 PM by Rene T »
AKA  Pep N Mem

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 11:11:45 PM »
Glad you got it fixed Rene, thanks for sharing. Not what I was thinking.

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Home is where you make it.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 08:06:49 AM »
I cleared my cache and deleted all my browsing history the other day because I was having trouble logging into Google maps.  I'd forgotten how many password combinations I had for various pages until then. 
I've got about all of them changed to the same one now, but for the life of me I can't remember my exact user name on the Jeep Forum page.  It wouldn't let me use my normal forum name like I have on this one.
This getting old crud sucks.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 08:18:23 AM »
I cleared my cache and deleted all my browsing history...  I'd forgotten how many password combinations I had for various pages until then.

Aye Wally, that's definitely an issue when you delete all cookies. You might consider a password manager such as KeyPass that stores your user names and passwords in an encrypted database, either on your hard drive or externally such as on a thumb drive. You only need to remember one password (to access the database). There are other password managers out there.

...I can't remember my exact user name on the Jeep Forum page.

Most forums (including this one) allow you to retrieve or reset user name &/or password. Do they have something similar? The link would normally be on the log-in page.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 08:22:37 AM by Tom »

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 10:38:06 AM »
Aye Wally, that's definitely an issue when you delete all cookies. You might consider a password manager such as KeyPass that stores your user names and passwords in an encrypted database, either on your hard drive or externally such as on a thumb drive. You only need to remember one password (to access the database). There are other password managers out there.

Most forums (including this one) allow you to retrieve or reset user name &/or password. Do they have something similar? The link would normally be on the log-in page.

I have a password manager. ME. I keep all my user names and passwords on a small piece of paper kept in  my wallet and they're also encrypted so no one can't figure out my passwords.
AKA  Pep N Mem

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Home is where you make it.
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 07:55:01 AM »
I used the same user names and passwords for years.  Had one set for the forums and other social media and one set for banks, credit cards and utility company web sites.
Then everyone started asking for special characters, capital letters, and numbers with the passwords.  Then they wouldn't let you use part of your real name as your user name, then they want you to change them every 90 days...
The digital world isn't easy for an old guy like me.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Hosted by Over The Network