Logging into forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
In the last couple of days I started having issues with connecting to the forum so I'm hoping one of you PC gurus can help me.
My browser is Internet Explorer (I/E). The forum is my Home Page. The way I had it set up, when I'd click on the I/E icon, it would automatically take me to the forum without the need to log in. What happens now, it takes me to the forum but I have to insert my User Name and password. I also check the box "to always stay logged in" but it doesn't help. Any ideas?

Rene, as I mentioned in email, it appears that your browser is deleting the forum cookie that would log you in. You need to find the cookie in your browser and check the settings to check the duration and to see if it's being deleted. I haven't used Internet Explorer for many years, so I have no idea how to display cookies, but suspect it's in your security settings. When you asked about posting on the forum, I assumed you were asking about the location of cookies in IE.

I think I fixed it. I logged into the forum. Then I copied the address and pasted in my settings for the Home Page, and then I shut down my PC.  A few minutes later I powered it back up,  then once all my icons uploaded, I clicked on the I/E and it went right to the forum page of "Recent unread topics" right where I want to go.

Glad you got it fixed Rene, thanks for sharing. Not what I was thinking.

I cleared my cache and deleted all my browsing history the other day because I was having trouble logging into Google maps.  I'd forgotten how many password combinations I had for various pages until then. 
I've got about all of them changed to the same one now, but for the life of me I can't remember my exact user name on the Jeep Forum page.  It wouldn't let me use my normal forum name like I have on this one.
This getting old crud sucks.

I cleared my cache and deleted all my browsing history...  I'd forgotten how many password combinations I had for various pages until then.

Aye Wally, that's definitely an issue when you delete all cookies. You might consider a password manager such as KeyPass that stores your user names and passwords in an encrypted database, either on your hard drive or externally such as on a thumb drive. You only need to remember one password (to access the database). There are other password managers out there.

...I can't remember my exact user name on the Jeep Forum page.

Most forums (including this one) allow you to retrieve or reset user name &/or password. Do they have something similar? The link would normally be on the log-in page.

Tom said:
Aye Wally, that's definitely an issue when you delete all cookies. You might consider a password manager such as KeyPass that stores your user names and passwords in an encrypted database, either on your hard drive or externally such as on a thumb drive. You only need to remember one password (to access the database). There are other password managers out there.

Most forums (including this one) allow you to retrieve or reset user name &/or password. Do they have something similar? The link would normally be on the log-in page.

I have a password manager. ME. I keep all my user names and passwords on a small piece of paper kept in  my wallet and they're also encrypted so no one can't figure out my passwords.

I used the same user names and passwords for years.  Had one set for the forums and other social media and one set for banks, credit cards and utility company web sites.
Then everyone started asking for special characters, capital letters, and numbers with the passwords.  Then they wouldn't let you use part of your real name as your user name, then they want you to change them every 90 days...
The digital world isn't easy for an old guy like me.

Back
Top Bottom