Newcomer looking to get into RVing...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tony2co

Hello

My family and I are considering taking this up. We have an 4x4 Diesel Excursion and are considering trading it for a 4x4 crew cab 3/4 or 1 ton. From what I have heard 5th wheel are much better, and they seem to be more used ones out there. My wife and I have some wonderings...

1. What is the insurance like?
2. There are a couple places around here that store them for you and rent them out to the public for weekend or longer trips. What type of experiences have others had with these type of places? Seems to me a good way to have your RV stored, kept up, and maybe make some money back. I know there would be the risk of damage, and abuse, smokers, pets, etc... Is this a good idea with rare problems, or something to stay away from?
3. What type of upkeep costs, etc are there?
4. We are thinking something around 5 or so years old in good/better condition for our first. Don't want to buy new.

Thanks, Tony

Welcome to the forum.  Yes you are better off with used.  Good Idea 4 to 5 yrs.  5ver vs TT, you'll find lovers on both sides. More will favor MH.  As for Renting or leasing, some do it. Not my cup of tea.  You can't control what other(mostly =) ammeters will do with your unit.  Something always goes wrong and you will never recoup the expenses of leasing it to others cuz thats an addition insurance for you to carry and the leasing co with take most if not all the profit.  To lesson the cost drop your purchase another yr or 2 and then you'll have  bit more for operating expenses.

From what I have heard 5th wheel are much better, and they seem to be more used ones out there

Conventionally hitched travel trailers and 5th wheel trailers each have their pros and cons.    The TT tracks the tow vehicle closely;  the 5th wheel cuts inside the tow vehicle track on a turn and thus must turn wide.  TT stability requires a good weight distributing hitch system, but when it gets it is is thoroughly stable.  The cost of such systems and the hitch system for a 5er is a wash.  TTs have a lower profile than a 5er and a flat floor plan.  TTs cover the range of small to about 30 foot, 5ers dominate in the 30 foot and over market.

Not too bad.  The liability load is carried by the tow vehicle.  You are insuring collision, comprehesive, towing and contents.  Tho my auto carrier has my insurance a lot of folks around here recommend carriers specializing in trailers and RVs. 

There are a couple places around here that store them for you and rent them out to the public for weekend or longer trips. What type of experiences have others had with these type of places? Seems to me a good way to have your RV stored, kept up, and maybe make some money back. I know there would be the risk of damage, and abuse, smokers, pets, etc... Is this a good idea with rare problems, or something to stay away from?

I would stay away.  Thinking about the legal and insurance complications makes my head hurt.

On a trailer, not too bad.  Tires every 5-7 years, batteries about the same.  Wheel bearing packing annually.  Appliances can last 10 years or more -- mine have.
Storage.

tony2co said:
From what I have heard 5th wheel are much better, and they seem to be more used ones out there.

We purchased a fifth wheel because we use a pickup and I didn't feel like having another motor to maintain.  (I have a few too many to keep track of now!)  We really enjoy it.  I do, however, envy the motorhome crew who can break camp in about five minutes.  Takes me about a half an hour.

tony2co said:

I have an entry level fifth wheel trailer (mid to upper $20K's) and my insurance is about $400 a year.

tony2co said:
2. There are a couple places around here that store them for you and rent them out to the public for weekend or longer trips. What type of experiences have others had with these type of places? Seems to me a good way to have your RV stored, kept up, and maybe make some money back. I know there would be the risk of damage, and abuse, smokers, pets, etc... Is this a good idea with rare problems, or something to stay away from?

One of the main reasons we have a 5'er is because we can take our "home" with us.  The thought of having others use it sort of makes it "not ours" anymore.  Also, there are too many things I can think of that a renter could mess up or break.  I personally wouldn't want to rent mine out to anyone.

tony2co said:

It depends on how much you want to do yourself.  For me, I pretty much do all of the work on it myself. That leaves costs on a 5'er mostly tires, brakes, and the antifreeze for the drinking water system.

tony2co said:
4. We are thinking something around 5 or so years old in good/better condition for our first. Don't want to buy new.

Good idea.  We researched for about a year before buying, but never rented.  We lucked out and got just what we wanted on the first shot.  I can imagine our research period could have been greatly shortened if we'd gone out as renters a couple of times.  The problem was that I wanted a TT or a 5'er, and there aren't any places within 250 miles of here that rent those.

Good luck!  If you enjoy it half as much as we do, you'll have the time of your lives.

-Dave

Since you are new to the game, I would seriously consider finding a dealership that will rent you one for a weekend so you can try it out. I'd start with a travel trailer as you won't need to get anything special to tow it (dealer should have a weight distribution hitch you can also rent). If you like it, but still want to try a fifth wheel, you will either need to have a hitch mounted in the bed of your truck or borrow one from a friend that has a fifth wheel setup. I'm suggesting this to start as the RV lifestyle is not for everyone, and I would hate to see anyone spend the money just to find out that RV'ing isn't really something they like. Once you decide that this is the way to go, then decide what floor plan you like, whether you want a trailer or fiver and start shopping. You mentioned you don't have a truck yet. When you get a truck, remember that you want one beefy enough for what you intend to tow. A trailer will put the load on the hitch (which you balance out with a weight distrubution hitch, but a fifth wheel can put upwards of 2500 Lbs in the bed of your truck (pin weight). When considering trailer weight, go by the GVWR of the trailer as other weights given are for empty coaches. In both cases, make sure the GCWR of the truck is hefty enough for both tthe ruck and trailer combined. Dealers can and will mislead you (aw, heck, that Ranger will pull this 10,000 Trailer - no sweat - ya, no sweat on the dealer, he just made a bunch of money). Also, in the process, check out your proposed dealer as much as the trailer you like. You can have the best trailer in the world, but if you have a crappy dealer, they can make life a living hell when you need any work done.

Good luck in your discovery ... sure hope RV life agrees with you. It's the only way to fly .... can't wait until I retire next year so we can spend more time on the road enjoying this wonderful country in our fiver.

Larry

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom