Recommendation for 50 amp panel with 12v

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

norgewizard

Don't think I need an inverter but would like to have  50 amp panel with 12v circuits and a battery charger. No generator.
I am building out a 32' gooseneck toy hauler and am looking for a good source for electrical, plumbing, parts.
Thanks.........Tim

Not sure what your doing but if your running everything off of 110 from the campground then just a normal electrical panel from Lowes will do or just order off Amazon for everything. 

Usually you run off your 12v battery bank and then plug in your 12v battery charger when 110 is available.

50A RVs typically do not use panels that have integrated 12v. They are normally 120/240v only and you have a separate converter/charger for 12v, along with a 12v distribution panel (basically just a buss bar with fuses). However, Progressive Dynamics makes a nice 240v (50A) integrated unit with a smart charger and 12v converter. It's the 4500 series. See http://www.progressivedyn.com/all_in_one_pd4500_1.html

I think WFCO makes one as well.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
I think WFCO makes one as well.

Yep:

http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/WFCO_63_8930_50_POWER_CENTER_10-with-space.pdf

It has an outlet for the convertoe, so you can supply the converter of your choice.

Thank you for your replies.  Looks like a 50 amp panel from Home Depot and a converter is the way to go. I assume this way you would hard wire the power cord into your breaker box, and leave it coiled up in a compartment on the side of your unit??
Any recommendations on a good brand of converter?
Tim

After looking at the Progressive Dynamics unit that Gary referenced I would go with that unit.  It has everything built in and will save a lot of time trying to create a 12V distribution panel and all the associated wiring.

Makes me glad to know my coach has such a highly recommended converter.  I topped the batteries off shortly after I bought the coach and added the charge wizard that kdbgoat mentioned and haven't had to add water to the batteries in 4 months. 
Much better than the old '89 Sportscoach I used to have that would boil the batteries dry if you didn't add water every month.

You can hardwire the shore cord or make it detachable using the connector Lou referenced.  Personally I prefer hardwired, but the removable type is handy if the cord needs to be stored elsewhere. Since you are building the trailer yourself, you can make your own choice about that.

I think the Intelli-power 45xx or WFCO is a cost-effective choice. You get the 120v load center, 12v distribution/fuse panel, and a quality 3-stage converter/charger for around $250.  I don't think you can do much, if any, better than that with separates and you have everything in a nice single package.    However, if you are considering using an inverter/charger instead of a converter, I would choose separate load centers and inverter/charger instead so I could pick a good inverter with transfer switch for my needs..

Do the above mentioned units automatically switch  from shore converted 12v power to battery only power when shore power is not available?
Tim

Yes it usually is connected so the battery is on the same circuit and gets charged when power is available and supplies when power is not, It also provide surge capacity for heavy loads.

Looks like the Progressive Dynamics 4590 would suit my needs and looks like it has good reviews. I will post back when I start to wire it in with more questions.
Thanks all.........Tim

Got the 4590 a few days ago. Looks like I need a ground bar for the DC side. One from Home Depot should work?...as long as it fits. I would imagine it would need a jumper to the Converter negative to complete the circuit. Anyone have a better wiring diagram than the one that comes with the unit, or maybe I should contact progressive Dynamics with this question?
Thanks..........Tim

It looks as if the ground bar is optional in that unit. It is shown on page 1 as optional chassis ground PD812375.

http://www.progressivedyn.com/pdfs/110030%20English.pdf

Maybe a call to Progressive Dynamics would help you.

Good online source for some 12v wire ....12 and 14 gauge ( 2 wires)???  And some usb/ cigarette style outlets to use.???
I did a search but did not find anything.
Tim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom