NE Florida to West Colorado

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Workman

New to long haul travel in a motor home and planning a trip next month from Yulee FL (just 30 miles North of Jacksonville) to Olathe CO.  I will be driving a Thor Windsport 34P  with a Harley motorcycle on a Hydralift and flat towing a Jeep Wrangler Sport. The jeep has a Aux brake system installed.
Looking for some experienced advice on the route.

I plugged the start and end points into the Good Sam Trip Planner which gives me a route thru Atlanta GA (that doesn't thrill me much) and over Monarch Pass on US Hwy 50 in CO. 

Your query does not say how much time you have to make the trip or any preferences you may have concerning sights, stops, etc. I used Google Map to insert your information and it routes you over on I-10 to Mobile, up 49 to Jackson, MS then west on I-20 to Dallas, Northwest on 287 up to I-40 at Amarillo then Northwest again on 87 into Colorado. I can tell you from my experience this route is easier on your RV with less elevation changes than what Good Sam trip routing is giving you. I have traveled part of it in my coach. Mobile is easy to get through verses Atlanta. Dallas can be difficult but you can select an alternate route around Dallas to US 287. I personally would prefer using the southern route with my coach to eliminate as much elevation change as possible. There are several ways you can use to map your route including Google Maps, RV Trip Wizard and of course a GPS. I always consult a paper map to compare when I plan my travel. It is also a very good idea to get a copy of the Western Mountain Directory;http://www.mountaindirectory.com/ to assist you with roads and passes.
Safe travels and enjoy the trip.

Well, I recommend I-10 to Mobile, US-98 to Hattiesburg, MS, US-49 to Jackson, MS, I-20 to Shreveport, LA then I-49 to Texarkana, and US-82 across Texas to Wichita Falls.
US-82 is a much more pleasant drive than going across and through Dallas-Ft Worth on I-20 and then 287 to Wichita Falls. It is a bit longer, but Speed limits are same as the Interstate, for the most part.

From Wichita Falls, you can go north on 287 to Lamar, CO and follow US-50 to Olathe. In the summer, Monarch Pass is pretty clean.

You can also follow US 385-US 87 to Raton, NM and pick up I-25 to Pueblo, to pick up US-50.

There are other routes that are quite fascinating, if you have lots of time.

Thanks --Golffan, I just ordered the Mountain Directory.

Thanks to both for the route suggestions - i agree that the southern route is going to be easier and going around Dallas area on 82 is sound advice.

I am giving myself 5 days for the trip not knowing how long I can stay in the saddle - I have done 550 -700 mile days on my motorcycle but am fully aware that the stresses are different in this kind of driving environment. 

if you need a place to stay on Olathe you can not go wrong at Uncompahgre River RV Park it is the nicest park we have found in Colorado by far

Workman said:
Thanks --Golffan, I just ordered the Mountain Directory.

Thanks to both for the route suggestions - i agree that the southern route is going to be easier and going around Dallas area on 82 is sound advice.

I am giving myself 5 days for the trip not knowing how long I can stay in the saddle - I have done 550 -700 mile days on my motorcycle but am fully aware that the stresses are different in this kind of driving environment.

It is a relatively easy five day drive. I suggest planning to arrive in Pueblo/Canon City area by fourth day, and the make the run across the mountains after a good night sleep.

If you feel the need to avoid significant and radical elevation changes, like Monarch or Raton Pass, then you could run I-40 west from Amarillo to Gallup, NM, and US-491 to Montecello, UT, then 191 up to I-70, and back through Grand Junction, and down US-50. That would be pretty extreme, and cost you an extra day. The scenery would be worth the drive (assuming you like Desert), but not if you are on a schedule.

beaverfever said:
if you need a place to stay on Olathe you can not go wrong at Uncompahgre River RV Park it is the nicest park we have found in Colorado by far
Glad to hear - that is my destination - have reservations in place. Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom