Equal-I-Zer 4PT Sway Control/Weight Distribution - Experience??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CassandraS

After shopping around for different weight distribution hitches, I stumbled upon the Equal-I-zer hitch. Its both weight distribution and sway control in one unit. I'm thinking this for sure will be the way to go for towing control/comfort in the Yukon. After researching it online it looks like we can also purchase an additional different shank so my husbands truck with a lower hitch point can still use the hitch for its sway control. (there is about a 7 inch difference in hitch points from my Yukon to his F150 :eek:, and I'm too lazy to want to dink around with playing with hitch drop/rise every time we decide who's truck is towing this trip)

It costs more than other WD hitched we've been looking at, but with the built in sway control I'm hoping its better in the long run.  8)

Just hoping someone on here would have some experience with this type of hitch and let me know of your personal experiences with it.  :)

Its the best. Been told that from a very experienced camper. He saw that I had one (I didn't realize) and said that thing is gold, and the best. He said I'd lock it up at the campgrounds because you never know who wants it.  This person just found one on Craigslist for less than 200.00 not the almost 1000.00 general RV wants for one.

We have also been talking recently on how to lock it up. They sell a lock kit from ezstorhitch.com  that allows you to lock it and the sway bars up.

Don't buy new, look on craigslist or Ebay.

I recently purchased some rustoleum truck bed liner spray and sprayed the entire hitch and sway bars with it. It keeps the rust off it because they get banged and dropped etc.

I don't have experience with that one, but have heard nothing but praise for them. I have used a Reese Dual Cam, and it works well also. Quite a bit involved in getting them set up correctly though.

I have used the Equal-i-zer on two different TTs and I highly recommend it. I had the 1,000/10,000 rated bars for our first TT and the 1,400/14,000 rated bars on the second. It take some getting used to setting it up - you can't muscle the bars up on the L-brackets like you can with the chains - but it's worth it. For many reasons, get yourself a power tongue jack and it will make hooking up much easier.

I actually ended up with the Equal-i-zer by accident. We upgraded from a pop-up to a TT in 2004 and a buddy told me to get the Reese Dual Cam like he had (also a great hitch, BTW). I just asked the dealer for "the one with 4-point sway control" and ended up with the Equal-i-zer. Great mistake! I loved it so much I upgraded when we got the new TT back in 2009.

Joezeppy said:
I have used the Equal-i-zer on two different TTs and I highly recommend it. I had the 1,000/10,000 rated bars for our first TT and the 1,400/14,000 rated bars on the second. It take some getting used to setting it up - you can't muscle the bars up on the L-brackets like you can with the chains - but it's worth it. For many reasons, get yourself a power tongue jack and it will make hooking up much easier.

I actually already have a power tongue jack, so that's great! Looking better and better!

I've had an Equal-i-zer on my rig since new. No complaints. It works great for keeping my TV and trailer almost as level when towing as when not.
I one of those who believes that the biggest factor contributing to sway is trailer tongue loading, so I don't attribute any of my trailer's lack of sway to the hitch's friction. Others have their own take on that, but I've run my Equal-i-zer bars both dry and well-lubricated. I've noticed no difference in stability, but it's a lot quieter when lubricated. ;)
Whatever you choose to believe about sway control, don't depend too heavily on your hitch to keep you out of sway trouble. Keep your trailer loaded so that 12-15% of the trailer weight is on the hitch.

CassandraS:
"...looks like we can also purchase an additional different shank so my husbands truck with a lower hitch point can still use the hitch for its sway control. (there is about a 7 inch difference in hitch points from my Yukon to his F150 :eek:, and I'm too lazy to want to dink around with playing with hitch drop/rise every time we decide who's truck is towing ..."

It is a NON-trivial task to swap shanks (the shank is only part of the hitch head) and adapt to different tow vehicles each trip. Can be done, but different wheelbase, rear overhang and spring rates between vehicles mean different weight transfer requirements beyond just hitch height considerations.

We have had an EquilIzer set up for multiple trailers and multiple vehicles for many years. Like Austex says, you can't randomly switch them between vehicles. The configuration gets set up for each trailer/TV combination. You would be better off just deciding what vehicle to use and getting it set up safely. The system is very good at controlling sway while providing weight distribution.

To flesh out what UTTTransplant and austex said, The mounting holes used by the L-bracket (on the trailer frame) may also vary between tow vehicle setups. Even if you had two different and complete shank/riser/ball/washer setups, there's a possibility that you'd still have to relocate the L brackets when switching tow vehicles.

We have an equalizer hitch on our rig and have been very pleased with the handling and responsiveness of the trailer. But as others have noted, it's not just a simple matter of swapping hitches between tow vehicles. As an example, we started out with a 2011 Tundra with the 4.6 engine. When we traded up to a '16 Tundra with the 5.7, I had to adjust the hitch to accommodate the new truck. It took a couple of trips to the scales to get it dialed in just right, but we've pulled over 8,000 miles with the new setup and have had zero issues. So far ?.  Point being, even the differences between two trucks from the same manufacturer were enough to adjust the hitch for optimal performance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom