Pulling a TT through mountains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jesseo715

I'm a first-time TT owner, and I'll be taking my family to Yellowstone and Glacier this summer.  What do I need to know about pulling a trailer on grades?  Trailer and TV are in the signature.

Thanks for asking!

1,  Take it SLOW!

2.  Coming down a grade, downshift to make the engine help slow the rig.

3.  If you want to stay below 40 mph, when you get to that speed, brake somewhat hard to slow down to 30 mph, get OFF the brakes and let the motor keep speeds down.  If you are needing to brake more than every minute, use a lower gear.  DO NOT RIDE THE BRAKES OR USE A CONSTANT BRAKING TECHNIQUE!  You will have a brake failure before reaching the bottom due to excessive heat in the brakes. 

What Preacher said.
Plus, if there's a scenic overlook or two on the way down or up, stop and enjoy the view for 10 or 15 minutes while the brakes or engine/transmission cool. You won't regret it.

I slow down and down shift to let the engine help slow the rate of decent.  Even then, I need to tap the brakes a bit on 6% grades. The main things is not to let the speed build up. Start down at a lower speed.

On most grades as you crest the summit there will be a sign- "6% down grade next 4 miles" or something similar. Don't worry about gearing down to far, if you feel that you are in to low a gear it is easier to gear up one than to gear down another gear.

grashley said:
Thanks for asking!

1,  Take it SLOW!

2.  Coming down a grade, downshift to make the engine help slow the rig.

3.  If you want to stay below 40 mph, when you get to that speed, brake somewhat hard to slow down to 30 mph, get OFF the brakes and let the motor keep speeds down.  If you are needing to brake more than every minute, use a lower gear.  DO NOT RIDE THE BRAKES OR USE A CONSTANT BRAKING TECHNIQUE!  You will have a brake failure before reaching the bottom due to excessive heat in the brakes.

:))  Good advice.

Back
Top Bottom