rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: External microphones for video recording  (Read 4546 times)

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
Re: External microphones for video recording
« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2017, 01:34:06 PM »
Hopefully things will get better, Tom. While doing the basement run (above), I once forgot to turn on the 440 on the Nikon, thus had silence on the video, so had to rerun it. Thankfully it wasn't a concert or something I couldn't redo.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL, Bounder, Beaver
  de N8GGG

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2019, 02:10:49 PM »
An update here, Tom.

I've used that MKE 440 now for several concerts in the middle school gym, and it's a decided improvement over the Canon G-20's built-in mics -- I really like it for that, but it still doesn't focus in tightly on the music director announcing (no PA) what's coming up (better than the Canon, though), and it doesn't completely kill the excess echo (a lot of it though), but what triggered this update is that I got a chance to do another concert of my grandson's school, this one in a theater environment (plush seats, carpet, etc.) and it is SUPER. And there was a lot of percussion (drums, steel drums, xylophones, even some choir music and such. I couldn't ask for better sound quality or for better sound distribution across the stereo image.

So the MKE 440 (stereo "super" cardiod) is a sweetheart, and can be used on both my Canon G-20 and my Nikon 7100, giving excellent results on both.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2019, 02:44:01 PM »
Thanks Larry. Hope to post an update on the results from my stereo super cardiod mic at our June 2 concert. Meanwhile, I'm still hoping to gain access to the theatre to set up cameras and mic sometime this week, and compare the image, zoom, etc of my new Canon videocam with my Panasonic G7 in video mode.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2019, 03:26:47 PM »
Last evening was our "dress rehearsal" for the June 2 concert. Not a good venue for audio tests, but I set up two cameras, both with external mics:
  • My Panasonic G7 'still' camera, which takes very good video, and my prior (inferior) ext mic.
  • My new inexpensive Canon HR800 camcorder with the newish stereo super-cardioid mic.
The videographer (Chris) has been sick and, since I was sitting/playing in the band, I didn't do much beyond place the cameras and turn them on (I did remember to turn the mics on this time!). As expected, the G7 captured superior video, and the stereo super-cardioid mic captured superior audio. A Panasonic phone app is able to control some features, but the darned 20 minute auto shut-off required me to periodically get up, walk across the room, restart the G7 and restart/reconnect Wifi.

If there was a way around the auto shutoff, I'd have Chris use the G7 and the stereo mic at Sunday's concert. It's apparently an EU tax issue; Anything longer than 20 minutes on a 'still' camera causes it to be treated as a video camera, with higher taxes. I haven't found a reliable workaround.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 03:35:55 PM by Tom »

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Good things are illegal immoral or over 1000 watts
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2019, 03:39:36 PM »
There really isn't a good way around the 20 minute limit. Yes you can get up and manually restart it but the reason for the 20 minute limit is because the sensor gets hot. If you keep on running the sensor after 20 minutes you run the risk of damaging the chip. I would run one camera and then after 20 minutes run the second camera and then restart the first camera etc.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
Favorite 2018 shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/s2JcpKVxX3Ez3c8j9
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2019, 04:14:36 PM »
Aye Tom, there are apparently two reported reasons for the auto shutoff; The tax issue and the sensor heat issue. One sets a limit of 20 mins and the other 30 mins. The G7 worked for the entire show at a prior concert at this venue, but Chris had to keep restarting it before the shutoff kicked in. I don't see a reason to run two cameras and switch between them; I just haven't decided which camera we'll use. The Canon is much easier to use and has no timeout; It ran OK for 2.5 hours last evening, but doesn't have the optics of the G7  ???

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2019, 01:53:42 AM »
I opted to use the small Canon videocam with the stereo super cardioid external mic to record the show. The theatre had their own small video camera mounted in the sound booth, just in front of my camera, but they relied on the camera's internal mic's. The comparison of the audio of the un-mic'd band is quite significant. Glad I followed the advice of our AV experts here and bought the stereo external mic.

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2019, 06:37:30 AM »
Glad it worked out for you, Tom. It's always nice when comparisons show you did it right.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
  de N8GGG

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2019, 08:13:16 AM »
Aye Larry. Thanks again for your and Lou's help getting me on the right track.