Information needed on 12v water pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2004CS

I am going over each 12v system and appliances in our 2004 Chateau Sport RV.
I sanitized our fresh water tank. I turn on our 12v water pump to turn on hot and cold water faucets to kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, and outside shower to make sure everything was sanitized for this year.
I don't know if this is a problem or not but when I went to each faucet to turn on the water I could here the water pump start up, but when I turned off the faucet to go to the next one I noticed the pump would kit on and off. Is this a problem?
Would this 12v do this if pump is ready to fail.

When the pump reaches a preset pressure, (I believe it's around 45 PSI) it automatically shuts off. When you open up a faucet, the pressure drops and then the pump starts to rebuild the pressure. Sounds like your pump is running the way it should.

kjenson    When I went to each faucet I could here the pump cycling on and off. I just did not remember this last year.

If you have an accumulator tank it may need to be pressurized again or the bladder inside may be broken.

When your water pump's power switch is turned on, the pump will run whenever the water pressure drops below a certain threshold - like when turning on a faucet. I think Rene's right... I think it's at about 45 psi. However, if the pump continues to cycle on and off after all the faucets have been closed, it could be an indication of a water leak somewhere, or perhaps air in the system.

You mentioned that you sanitized the system. Could air be trapped in a line somewhere? Air compresses, which can cause fluctuations in pressure. A water leak could be anywhere, including in the pump itself. It's not unusual for a small diaphragm in RV water pumps to leak water back into the tank, which causes the line pressure to drop, and the pump to turn on. The pump shuts off after a few seconds when the pressure builds back up, and the whole cycle repeats until the pump is turned off, or the leak is fixed.

Kev

Did it continue after you had run all faucets ?
If it did I would look for a water leak otherwise it's probably air in the lines. It could be a bad pressure switch too.

I reread the original post and I may have read it wrong. Now it almost sounds like the pump is cycling after the last faucet was turned off which would be a problem. Need to get that clarified by the OP.

I start at the faucet closest to the pump. Turn it on and let it run until a nice stream comes out with no air spitting out of it.  Then move to the next faucet and the same and so on till all faucets have been purged.  Now if the pump continues to surge, look for leaks everywhere possible.  No leaks, it is probably the pump.  Do you have an outside shower or a drain plug not fully closed?

Mine is a limited sample size, but what Kevin described is what happened to me.  I had not gotten all the water out of the pump when winterizing.  The next spring it would pump fine, but wouldn't hold pressure, so it would cycle on and off from time to time.  No visible leaks - I  believe it was just letting a little water back into the tank.  Got tired of listening to it cycle, replaced the pump, and that solved the problem.

Before  going to that expense though, as suggested by others, check for leaks.  You might also inspect your hoses and connections on the suction side of the pump to make sure it's not drawing air.

Thanks everyone  :)
Time to trace all the water lines, and look for leaks. If no leaks, then will look at water pump. Mine is located at the worse place possible, behind the water tank next to the back wall  :'(. Will fill you guy's in when I solve the problem.

2004CS said:
Thanks everyone  :)
Time to trace all the water lines, and look for leaks. If no leaks, then will look at water pump. Mine is located at the worse place possible, behind the water tank next to the back wall  :'( . Will fill you guy's in when I solve the problem.

If the pump cycles when the faucets are all closed you're correct in looking for leaks, but it could also be that the backflow preventer builtin to the pumps is failing. If the backflow perventer leaks it allows water to back flow towards the water tank, this reduces the pressure causing the pump to cycle. If you find no leaks try adding a backflow preventer on the pump inlet. These are less than $10 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-23303-Back-Flow-Preventer-Lead/dp/B000EDUTN6/ref=sr_1_3/135-5117412-8558950?ie=UTF8&qid=1494610518&sr=8-3&keywords=backflow+preventer+valve

ken

Ok different faucets pass different amounts of water at any given pressure.. YOU DO ha e an accumulator tank .. of a sort (The water heater) on most RV's less they check valved the cold line (They do that sometimes).

So if the pump has more capacity than the faucet, IT WILL CYCLE.  Variable speed pumps do not do that or at least not as much.

Okay guy's found the problem  :))  :-[  :'(  Followed everyone suggestions. Tightened all hoses around pump. Checked for any leaks. Went outside to turn on outside shower works fine. Happen to look on the ground and saw water were their should not be any.  :'( Got out my flashlight looked and saw water dripping from one of these orange pipes.  ::) Hummmmm  Went inside and rotated the low water drain valves to make sure both where seated. Turned on water pump cycled for 2 sec stopped went to each Faucet turn on pump cycled and stopped. Mystery solved. I put that in my book of things to do for winter shutdown. Make sure after opening the valves, rotate valves to make sure they seat okay.

Thanks Again for all you guy's help.

2004CS said:
Okay guy's found the problem  :))  :-[  :'(  Followed everyone suggestions. Tightened all hoses around pump. Checked for any leaks. Went outside to turn on outside shower works fine. Happen to look on the ground and saw water were their should not be any.  :'( Got out my flashlight looked and saw water dripping from one of these orange pipes.  ::) Hummmmm  Went inside and rotated the low water drain valves to make sure both where seated. Turned on water pump cycled for 2 sec stopped went to each Faucet turn on pump cycled and stopped. Mystery solved. I put that in my book of things to do for winter shutdown. Make sure after opening the valves, rotate valves to make sure they seat okay.

Thanks Again for all you guy's help.

Good for you. I think you were talking about the LOW POINT drains.

Sorry yes was talking about low point drains. So glad I took my time and tightened and looked at any possible leaks.  :)) ;D  So happy that all it was.

Again thanks everyone for all your information

Your welcome    I have read some of these question people post then it just comes to a dead end.

Yes it's so nice to find out if we we're able to help some one and what the results were. I wish everyone would reply like you did.  Thanks and safe travels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom