2007 starcraft M-2412 advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isoldmysaturn

Hi, I'm closing on this camper today (Friday), and am looking for some advice.

I'm buying it from a dealership, so I'm hoping they properly checked it out, but it IS a 10 year old camper. What should I replace/thoroughly inspect before using this? It has a heater, sink (so, water pump), vent flap, stove, mystery cover (more on that later) and dinette slide out. I plan on replacing every light with LED for less drain on the vehicle, AND less drain on the battery (I'd like to be able to do one night without plugging in), cleaning the water tank with a suitable product, and possibly re painting it as some of the stickers are peeling and the paint looked "meh" from what I remember.

On any used rig, a few issues need primary inspecting. Starting with the inside ceiling for any signs of water damage, and the tires for the date codes. A 10 year old could still be sitting on the original rubber, and still look OK. Any tires over a few years old should be completely replaced before leaving the dealer lot.  Then you can get into a systems inspection to insure everything works.

tires and battery are brand new. not so brand new is the cable (just snapped on me) water tank (which appears to be leaking on me), the chassis needs some rust converter and paint, and the roof needs some attention, but has been sealed properly for now. the canvas was water proof, but I don't know if the top falling damaged it, plus now I have to drive an hour with the top resting on the bunk and canvas.

What cable are you talking about? Electrical or part of the lift mechanism for the roof.
You said the water tank is leaking. How do you plan on going one night if the tank empties.

And what do you mean when you said "but I don't know if the top falling damaged it".

the lift cable broke while raising the top, with the bunk out preparing to access the sink because I was cleaning the tank, and the limit cable to keep you from over opening the top broke while lowering the top. wondering if it's even worth it to have them fix this camper or use this as an excuse to run like hell?

the top pinched the canvas between it and the bunk/sides of the camper and I'm hoping it didn't damage the canvas.

the bunks also seem quite bowed and floppy. don't know how solid they're supposed to be.

I believe the tank is leaking, but the RV store thinks I'm wrong (of coarse). I filled it to clean it, left, and 50 minutes later it was dripping at the bottom of the tank. don't know if it's the tank or a hose, since obviously water can run  quite a ways from the leak to drip. it was a steady almost running drip. I gave up on troubleshooting it because I'm taking it in tomorrow to see if they'll make this right.

that's what I want to do, but the wife is stuck on the idea, and wants to get them to fix it. I HATE buying used stuff, and it always bites us, but we can't afford a new popup right now.

Of everything listed above, the item that seems the most serious to me is "bowed and floppy" bunks. They should be straight and solid, and slide in/out with little effort.

Pop-ups are very prone to water damage, probably more so than any other type of camper. Lift cables do break, but it's not a frequent occurrence. It happened to a friend a couple of weeks ago, and his camper is much newer.

Without seeing the camper, it's tough to say whether to walk away or not. At the very least, I would go over every square inch with the dealer and have them demonstrate that each system is working properly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom