2007 starcraft M-2412 popup, how far should I go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isoldmysaturn

Hi, closing on this camper today (Friday). I'm wondering how much money to sink into this project. the paint is "meh", going to clean it up and see where it gets me. on the inside it's all paper covered particle board, which I plan on starting to replace with lighter and thinner, but stronger and more durable plywood, and solid wood or plywood counters. I was also wondering if I should snag up a canvas before they stop making them (apparently jayco makes them, now)? the one that's on there looks ok, but it's 10 years old and I don't know how long they last. anyway, how far should I take this? I'm wondering based on how long the frames/roof/floor/slider/ect... last (all the stuff you don't want to have to replace)

I wouldn't recommend spending money on any of that stuff unless and until it actually needs repair, but it's up to you.

The soft top (probably some sort of vinyl rather than canvas?) is the most vulnerable part, as well as the zippers for windows and vents. I would not be optimistic that a replacement is still available after 10 years, though. RV manufacturers generally don't stock replacement parts once a model goes out of production. When the inventory is gone, there is no more.

With reasonable care, the basic trailer frame, axles, and the box should last 20+ years. Appliances too.

If the tent is in good enough shape, an upholstery shop that works on boats should be able to use it as a pattern for a new one.  I've seen them do similar tent sides for the back cockpits of cruiser type boats(don't know the proper terms, I'm not a boat guy).

We checked, and we can still get a new tarp, and i figured time is limited to get one. The particle board is starting to get wavy, and we would like to keep it for the  useful life of the frame and roof.

the aluminum and paint look better than I figured, and so does the interior. it needs some rust converter and fresh paint on the chassis and the plastic/fiberglass roof is starting to crack, so I'd like to coat that somehow at some point to prevent further degredation. what would be best for the roof? it's feeling pretty weathered, and I figured some kind of paint/coating to renew it would be in order. The interior should just need countertops and one piece of that wood paneling replaced then it should be good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom