No power to coach from on board cummins generator.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahgies

I have a 2015 lexington B+ with built in cummins onan 4000 watt generator. When the generator is running there is no power to the coach. i`ve trip the breaker switch on the generator and makes no difference. Anyone have any ideas.

First, welcome to the RVForum. Is this RV new to you? Have you ever gotten power from the generator? I'm assuming you are getting power when plugged into shore-power(?) Nothing works? No 12 volt lights or AC appliances?

I don't know anything about your Lexington's wiring, but in some RV's, to get generator power, you have to plug the shore-power cord into a receptacle that's usually in the electrical bay. If your RV has an auto transfer switch, you won't have to do that.

In addition to the circuit breaker on the generator itself, there will probably also be a Main breaker on a panel somewhere. Have you seen anything like that? When you start the generator, is the switch flashing a series of lights? All Onans that I know will flash a series of lights when there's a problem with the generator. The number of flashes corresponds to a specific fault code.

Kev

Welcome and I agree with Kevin.  Something very simple and cheap (most likely  free) is wrong. 

Mine has the power cord in the electric bay that Kevin was referring too.  I forget to plug that in about 90% of the time or 100% of the time if you ask my wife.  The cord on mine is the same one you use to plug into shore power.  The outlets can be a little hidden in there.

I have to plug my shore power cord in an outlet for the generator also. I'm kinda new at having a generator, so what I'm doing is developing a habit of just plugging the shore power cord in the generator outlet as soon as I disconnect from shore power. My cord is the type that is permanently connected at the panel end and shoves in a locker for storage. The generator outlet is right there, so it's easy for me to plug in. That does two things for me, it protects the prongs on the cord, and ensures if I need to run off the generator, it's ready.

The RV is new to me. When it`s plugged into shore power everything works. There is no plug in at the generator to plug into so I presume its automatic switching. No flashing lite at the start switch when it starts. Total Hrs. on the generator is five.

My generator receptacle is no where near the generator. It's in the storage area for the power cord.

I will have another look around to make sure I didn`t miss something.

With a 2015 RV you should be able to get your hands on a manual. Whether or not you have an ATS (auto transfer system) or not is likely mentioned there. Did you try the manufacturer's Help line?

You mentioned a circuit breaker at the generator, many have two, one is often for house power, the other may be direct wired to an air conditioner.

My 2004 Chateau Sport it took me 45 minutes one day to figure why mine outlets did not work after while exercising my generator. Had to call a RV place and  ::) found out you have to plug in shore cable to outlet in the same box as my cord is. After that when I am not plugged into shore power the cord is always plugged into the outlet. Hope this answer your question.

My 2004 Chateau Sport it took me 45 minutes one day to figure why mine outlets did not work while exercising my generator. Had to call a RV place ::) found out you have to plug in shore cable to outlet in the same box as my cord is. After that when I am not plugged into shore power the cord is always plugged into the outlet. Hope this answer your question.

1. with shore power plugged in  all plugs work inside and out. Fridge and hot water work on 110  and the battery is charging.
2. shore power unplugged generator starts o.k. , no flashing light and stays on a solid red.
3. reset switch on generator and reset the button on  the converter breaker    by the battery control center  by the steps .Still no power to the plugs, hot water or fridge.
4. Generator manual is all there and complete. The generator has only 5 hours used.
5. It seems like the generator is not hooked up to the coach.  Any ideas???
Thanks.

The primary question is still: Do you have an ATS or is it a manual system as was described above in several responses? It sure looks like a manual one for starters but.... It could also be a defective ATS system..... The generator manual will NOT likely have any info on an ATS as it is not part of the generator but is added (or not) by the motor home manufacturer. The manual I referred to above was meant to be "for the motor home".

Tracing wires from the shore power connection or generator output will get you the answer and may be possible but not a fun job!!

Its ATS. I also called the place where i bought it. The service manager ran me thru the whole procedure twice and decided I should bring it in. It`s a long way to go.We don`t really use a generator but it`s there so it should be working. Thanks for the responses. Harold.

Problem solved... (almost), I hope it is still on some kind of warranty though. You should be running that Genny under load every so often anyway, just to drive out any moisture in the windings, so make good use of it!!

Good Luck!!

I`m starting to think it could be an ATS stuck or faulty. I`m going to follow up on that before i take it anywhere.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom