Dolly, four down or trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RockyFarmer

Ok so I am trying to figure out which type of towing is best for us. We have a Kia Sedona and am not sure if it can be towed four down. Was thinking dolly. Who has the best dolly? And I was thinking an open aluminum car trailer. Any opinion or ideas are appreciated we are new to this. My Sunstar says it can tow 5000 lbs my not sure what the Sedona weighs but it is a mini van.

A good resource to check for what can be flat towed are the Motorhome guides that can be downloaded for free

http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

As far as I can see there is not any Kia that can be flat towed, so your only option is a tow dolly.  You need one that can accommodate the width of your Kia's front tires and should opt for one that allows that platform to swivel when you turn. You need a brake controller in your RV.

I previously used a Roadmaster tow dolly to pull my wife's Nissan Cube until this year when I finally got tired of paying to store that dolly, the hassle of hooking it up and cinching down the tires of the Cube and the headache of where I would put the dolly in the campsite.  That said, I think that after paying for a tow bar, baseplate installation, braking system, and dinghy wiring it costs more to flat tow than to use a dolly, putting aside the cost of buying a flat towable vehicle. 

Further thoughts:  I felt that the brakes in my dolly were more effective than the RVI braking system used in my dinghy.  Although it is not easy to back up with a dolly it is technically possible if you are well skilled, which I would never try with my tow bar for fear of damaging my crossbar.

That said I am glad to be able to flat tow for the ease of hook up and disconnect.

We have a Kia Sedona and am not sure if it can be towed four down.

No Kia with automatic tranny is rated for 4-down towing.

There are several excellent dolly brands available. Stehl, Roadmaster, Master Tow and Demco are the top choices, but recently the less expensive Acme has become popular. The Acme is a more basic model than the others, but many RVers find it adequate.

There are two dolly types. One has a swiveling platform for the car wheels, so that the car can conform easily in turns, even with its steering wheel locked.  If the dolly doesn't have the swivel (e.g. Acme), the car steering wheel must be unlocked for towing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom