Anode rod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rider1520

Does this anode rod need to be replaced (see attached photo)? This is my first water heater with an anode rod and while most of the rod looks good, as you can see the part by the head is gone. It has only be used for one season and I noticed what looks like white mineral deposits on the inside of the threaded part of the tank. Thanks for your responses.

Attachments

• IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 60
No, I don't think so, but I would replace it just for peace of mind. Be sure to flush the tank well as all that missing stuff is likely sitting on the bottom of the tank. You can get a "flushing wand" (my term)* at any RV place or at Walmart in the RV section.

*Like this one: https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-11691-Water-Heater-Rinser/dp/B002XL2IBS

If it were mine, I'd replace it. It looks like it wouldn't take much to separate the anode section from the plug. If that happens, then you have that rolling around in your water heater.

The center rod is about 1/4" diameter if my memory serves me right. If that's the case, I would let it go another year at least if it was me. There is still plenty of zinc left for the chemicals in the water to attack. It would take a long time for the 1/4" rod to eat all the way through like maybe several years. You have to get concerned when most of the zinc is gone.

Thanks for the info Rene, I thought the anode was all sacrificial and just pressed into the plug. I didn't realize it had a center core rod.

kdbgoat said:
Thanks for the info Rene, I thought the anode was all sacrificial and just pressed into the plug. I didn't realize it had a center core rod.

I've seen them before when all there was is a center rod. That's too late. You need to tim e it so there is just a little bit of zinc left, then replace it.

I replace my anode rod annually and flush the hot water tank at the same time. Never had problem with the heater. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.  ;)

Is it unusual for the rod to wear like shown in the photo....all gone at the top but the rest virtually intact?

rider1520 said:
Is it unusual for the rod to wear like shown in the photo....all gone at the top but the rest virtually intact?

I never had a Suburban water heater so I can't answer that. I wonder if it had anything to do with sediment settling at the bottom of the tank and that end being covered by it.  The threaded end is actually lower than the opposite end.

rider1520 said:
Rene T....I did not know that,....thanks

This site says when the anode is worn 1/2 way through.  The second link shows a picture of one that is new next to a used one.

http://www.everything-about-rving.com/how-often-do-i-need-to-replace-the-anode-rod-in-my-rvs-water-heater.html

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTuJI7VqDAs2psAStfUPRKELMJ3f4w9w_LuouX5yfIxrXRoc1Ex7w

Back
Top Bottom