Upgrading your RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texas.uke.74

Greetings Rv'rs,

I am close to acquiring a new rv which I hope to live in full time.  I have posted a few questions.  Thanks for the replies!

I have a couple questions pertaining to upgrading your rV.  Especially, solar power, heating, and security devices. 

I narrowed down my targets to rv's which turned out to be solar ready,  I looked at those solar ready kits and the panels seem to be on the low end of the power spectrum.
  I'm wanting a link to a fairly comprehensive solar upgrade rv site on the web.  I am interested in powering my Rv solar most of the time.  Please post if you know any.

The rv's I'm looking at seem to lack a heater.  I would like to know if adding a heating unit to a small travel trailer (~18', 2000 lbs) is possible.

Lastly, what, if any, theft deterrents are available in the states.  If available, please provide a link or drop a name.

Many thanks!

Mike 

And these two:

http://www.jackdanmayer.com/rv_electrical_and_solar.htm

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com

There's a very helpful Facebook page called "solar powered RV's & boondocking"  A guy named Brian Boone heads it up and he appears to be quite a solar expert as are many of the posters on the site.

Olpueblo55 said:
There's a very helpful Facebook page called "solar powered RV's & boondocking"  A guy named Brian Boone heads it up and he appears to be quite a solar expert as are many of the posters on the site.

He must have a bunch of pages on FB.  I'm on another one he runs called "full time traveling RVers".

Hi Mike. I'd be careful about relying on the quality/adequacy of the wiring in some "solar-ready" RVs. I recently helped a friend install solar in his "solar-ready" RV, and we found 16 guage wire that the RV manufacturer had installed, from the roof (where the junction box would go) to the compartment where the controller was supposed to go. As best we could tell, the wire run was about 12 feet, but we couldn't see the entire path, so who knows where they routed it.

That's too thin a wire for that much run, and would have resulted in too much voltage loss for the volts/amps that his panels would have produced. We ended up running 4 guage wire in its place, but had to pick a slightly longer path.

Kev

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom