EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com ARPC LLC Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Garmin 770 LMT  (Read 267 times)

Heli_av8tor

• ---
Garmin 770 LMT
« on: May 12, 2017, 08:30:11 PM »
I've used Garmin GPS units in my autos and airplane for a long time. Now as a Class A owner I'm looking for a GPS for it. The 770 LMT seems to be the latest - greatest offering from Garmin and I'm thinking about ordering one.

However, being so new, there is little info on how well it is performing. I've seen some complaints about poor routing with it. I know complaints get more mileage on forums than praise so I'm looking for reports from people who have actually been on the road with it.

Thanks,
Tom
2004 Pace Arrow 37C
Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow are
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: Garmin 770 LMT
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 09:49:12 PM »
There are quite a few less than glowing reviews on Amazon.

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo w/ Ami the tiny co-pilot
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 10:53:23 AM »
I bought the 760 LMT and am pretty happy with it. Reading through the reviews on the 770, there doesn't seem to be a consistent specific complaint, though a few reported some navigation errors that don't make a lot of sense.

One thing, though, I plugged mine into a lighter plug that is always on, left it plugged in while parked, and the thing drained my battery in about three days.

And the app for your phone will suck the phone power pretty quickly if you leave it running.
Also,
Make sure that you update the maps and firmware before using it, and drive around an hour or so before trying to use it.

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

Jeff in Ferndale Wa

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 11:11:30 AM »
Also,
Make sure that you update the maps and firmware before using it, and drive around an hour or so before trying to use it.

Why? What happens if you don't
2007 Springdale 260
2008 Ford F250
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Rampage Motorcycle Lift

Currently at work in King Cove, Alaska

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo w/ Ami the tiny co-pilot
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 12:20:47 PM »
Why? What happens if you don't

The maps loaded in the device may be fairly old, and out of date, as might be the microcode.
The thing can get lost, and take you with it.

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

Heli_av8tor

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 02:26:43 PM »
My brother-in-law just got a 770 RV LMT and he's letting me borrow it for an Illinois to Georgia trip. I had it in the car today and voice-commanded it to take me to an address in the next town on the highway. It took half a dozen tries to get it to understand the address, but finally succeeded.

This should have been a 10 mile trip continuing on the U.S. highway I was already on. It was showing a route almost 30 miles long. One half mile before the highway crossed an interstate it directed me on a 20 mile loop down county roads, putting me on that interstate (ten miles away) and exiting back on the original highway within eye sight of where it sent me on the loop.

Hope that was easier to follow than write  :)

There were no weight or height restrictions or any other reason to possibly trigger the ridiculous route. When I switched it to the auto profile it routed correctly.

I'll run it beside my old Garmin Nuvi on the Georgia trip just to see if if repeats but at this point I have crossed it off my "buy" list. Hope they fix it soon as it does have a lot of nice features.

Tom
2004 Pace Arrow 37C
Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec
2014 Honda CR-V Toad, Roadmaster -5 Base and tow are
SMI Stay and Play Duo Brake system

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 03:27:53 PM »
Every time I consider upgrading to one of the new 7" RV GPSs (have considered both the 770 and the dezl) from my 5 year old (but updated) Garmin nuvi I read reports like this and decide I'll wait on the nearly $400 purchase.

We usually fire up the GPS and get going, then do an Apple maps or Google maps cross check to see if they're all going to the same place and routing the same way. If it all looks good, we shutoff Apple/Google and carry on. Very rarely we have found an instance where the GPS, even though updated, did not have a new street or some other change. This is very rare. Also, this applies to the west, we haven't yet taken the rig "back east".

Wouldn't mind having the weight and height restrictions built in, but if the unit can't reliably navigate it's not much good.
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2004 Grand Cherokee Toad w/Roadmaster towbar & Brakemaster

TheNewhalls

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 04:08:48 PM »
We have the 760 RV LMT and love the large screen, being able to put in our rig weight and measurements and switch from auto to rv profile. I don't think there is a GPS unit out there that doesn't have some problems with directions and this one is no different. Some problems can be solve by changing the programming from "shortest route to fastest route" or checking or unchecking what to avoid. We've left ours plugged in and haven't had any battery problems.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Alfa38User

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 07:33:05 AM »
Even Google maps is not immune to strange routing. I made several trips using Google and printing the output. The route chosen led me off the main highway exits and back on a bit later for no apparent reason. Depending on the map scale, it was not always visually apparent.  Setting a waypoint after the errant exit fixed the problem but made it apparent that VERY close checking was required.

My current Garmin has not done this sort of thing to me yet but "trust, but verify" really applies to GPS chosen routes as well as to many other things in life.
Stu
Montréal, Canada 🍁
Snowbird, Naples Florida
Alfa Gold 38 (2000) 5ver (parked!)

"Of course I talk to myself, sometimes I need expert advise!!!"

jatrax

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 07:51:54 PM »
Been using my 770 RV for a bit over a month now.  Really like the screen.  Routing performance has been comparable to my older Garmin, good but not always the way I think it should go.
Note the initial firmware had major issues, got an update about 2 weeks after purchase which greatly improved things.
So far very satisfied.

Hosted by Over The Network