EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Working out Staying in Shape  (Read 1490 times)

butchiiii

• ---
  • A day RVing is better than a Great day at work!
Working out Staying in Shape
« on: May 13, 2017, 02:18:59 AM »
Wife and I are trying to get our minds around the fulltime thing in about 6 years. Question
what do people do to work out/stay in shape while full timing? There are so many things
involved here and we are just starting to explore them.
Once again thanks in advance for the help.
Butch & Joanna
Butch & Joanna
Ram 2015 Reg Cab 1500
2015 Keystone Passport 2890RL

glen54737

• ---
  • My camping buddy
Re: Working out Staying in Shape
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 05:21:28 AM »
I have a stationary bike in the RV. Also RVing generally involves a lot of outdoor activities.
2018 Thor Miramar 35.2
2015 F-350 CC short box 6.7l 3.55 axle
2015 Alpine 3510RE-sold

Glen,Nene
Mickey & Jayco (yorkies)

cadee2c

• ---
  • If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 03:27:13 PM »
Many parks will have workout equipment like stationary bikes and treadmills, maybe even weight systems. Some have swimming pools. A lot of people walk all over the park. Also, getting a dog works well too. :)

I have exercise bands... https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/gofit-progym-extreme-workout-kit-16gofuprgymxtrmxxeac/16gofuprgymxtrmxxeac that I use. With a bit of adaptation, almost like lifting weights.
Caryl- Pilot
Bob- Navigator
Mister Hank - homeland security
Buddy the Dog-  Soul Mutt, forever in our hearts.

1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
2010 Jeep Liberty

Follow your arrow, wherever it points

prfcdoc

• ---
  • Happy to be alive!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 03:30:34 PM »
A bicycle for getting around your campsites. Even better, a mountain bike for strenuous workouts.
Bob
Bob & Kathy
Saving and researching for our future extended road trip.
2017 F350, Diesel
5th wheel TBD

butchiiii

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 04:52:37 PM »
I have a stationary bike in the RV. Also RVing generally involves a lot of outdoor activities.
That is one thing we have talked about. Maybe a foldup eliptical machine that can be transported.
Butch & Joanna
Ram 2015 Reg Cab 1500

butchiiii

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 04:53:56 PM »
Many parks will have workout equipment like stationary bikes and treadmills, maybe even weight systems. Some have swimming pools. A lot of people walk all over the park. Also, getting a dog works well too. :)

I have exercise bands... https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/gofit-progym-extreme-workout-kit-16gofuprgymxtrmxxeac/16gofuprgymxtrmxxeac that I use. With a bit of adaptation, almost like lifting weights.

Good info. I had not thought that alot of parks had workout equipment. I am going to check into the exercise band thing also. Thanks
Butch & Joanna
Ram 2015 Reg Cab 1500

butchiiii

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 04:54:42 PM »
A bicycle for getting around your campsites. Even better, a mountain bike for strenuous workouts.
Bob

Yep a couple of mountain bikes are in our future  :)
Butch & Joanna
Ram 2015 Reg Cab 1500

svrapture

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 09:24:37 AM »
Walking? We do a lot of it. Great work out! We have a 25' Class A (read: very small!) and have a stretching routine we do every other day. We do it indoors when it is raining, and find a grassy spot outside when it is not. Just get out and enjoy the nature that you started RVing for. You will not become the next Jack Lalanne (oops, did I date myself?) but you will be fit and healthy.

spacenorman

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 12:53:43 AM »
The concept of "working out" can have vastly different meanings - depending on who you ask. 

If you're a "50 - 60 something" who's just looking to stay active - that should be a reasonably easy goal to attain while traveling.   Bicycling and walking are "go to" exercises for most RV'ers to keep the blood flowing.   We've found that many parks have group exercise programs such as aerobics and/or water aerobics on the calendar. 

If you're looking to up the ante a hair - look for an "exercise" park in the area your staying.   You've likely seen the parks with a handful of "exercise stations" spread out along a walking path.   

Some parks offer an "gym" (the ones we've seen have usually had a handful of machines (treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical machine ... along with some sort of weight machine).   More of the park "gyms" we've seen looked like they were basically an afterthought and rarely used ... but, if you're motivated ... you can probably get something out of that. 

Local bicycle shops can usually hook you up with recurring group rides held by local bike clubs.   

We like kayaking - and usually have a couple of boats strapped to the top of the toad.  If you're anywhere near water - you can work up a pretty good sweat if you put a little effort into it doing that. 

If you're staying in an area for any length of time - you might check out local gyms if that sort of workout is your thing.  You might check to see if your medical insurance offers any discounts.   Our medical insurance is under Michigan Blue Cross / Blue Shield - who offers a program called "Blue365".   For $25 a month - you get a "Blue365" card that is good for entry at something like 9,500 gyms across the country.  In our area, a "Blue365" membership will get you into national chains like LA Fitness, Anytime Fitness and Curves - along with numerous others.   If your the type who will hit the gym - it's not a bad deal, if for any reason, because of it's portability. 

Now that we're retired, we've got the one thing that is critical to making most exercise programs successful - TIME!   With time on our hands - it's just a case of finding opportunities (and there are tons of them out there!) and choosing how we want to spend it.
The Spacenorman
2012 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 43 DFT
2012 Jeep Liberty
http://www.penquinhead.com/

butchiiii

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 01:54:31 AM »
The concept of "working out" can have vastly different meanings - depending on who you ask. 

If you're a "50 - 60 something" who's just looking to stay active - that should be a reasonably easy goal to attain while traveling.   Bicycling and walking are "go to" exercises for most RV'ers to keep the blood flowing.   We've found that many parks have group exercise programs such as aerobics and/or water aerobics on the calendar. 

If you're looking to up the ante a hair - look for an "exercise" park in the area your staying.   You've likely seen the parks with a handful of "exercise stations" spread out along a walking path.   

Some parks offer an "gym" (the ones we've seen have usually had a handful of machines (treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical machine ... along with some sort of weight machine).   More of the park "gyms" we've seen looked like they were basically an afterthought and rarely used ... but, if you're motivated ... you can probably get something out of that. 

Local bicycle shops can usually hook you up with recurring group rides held by local bike clubs.   

We like kayaking - and usually have a couple of boats strapped to the top of the toad.  If you're anywhere near water - you can work up a pretty good sweat if you put a little effort into it doing that. 

If you're staying in an area for any length of time - you might check out local gyms if that sort of workout is your thing.  You might check to see if your medical insurance offers any discounts.   Our medical insurance is under Michigan Blue Cross / Blue Shield - who offers a program called "Blue365".   For $25 a month - you get a "Blue365" card that is good for entry at something like 9,500 gyms across the country.  In our area, a "Blue365" membership will get you into national chains like LA Fitness, Anytime Fitness and Curves - along with numerous others.   If your the type who will hit the gym - it's not a bad deal, if for any reason, because of it's portability. 

Now that we're retired, we've got the one thing that is critical to making most exercise programs successful - TIME!   With time on our hands - it's just a case of finding opportunities (and there are tons of them out there!) and choosing how we want to spend it.

Thanks spacenorman. the wife and I are both kinda workout nuts and when we get to the point of free time we will probably dive deeper into it.
Butch & Joanna
Ram 2015 Reg Cab 1500

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 02:01:23 AM »
A few years back Dan Wainwright made a workout station that hung from the 5th wheel hitch on his trailer.  It used a bucket of rocks, a cable and pulley and a bicycle handle.  He controlled the weight by varying the number of rocks in the bucket.   Worked pretty neat.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 02:02:54 AM by Lou Schneider »

JackL

• ---
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 05:29:25 AM »
Speed walking, biking, (and when you are in good safe place do some speed work), canoeing, kayaking and stand up paddleboards.
 The most important thing is to get aerobic and get the blood pumping.

We just got stand up paddleboards this year and believe me, they are a total body work out

jack L

llib enad

• ---
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 07:11:38 AM »
     Look into Geocaching, it will keep you busy and on the go while getting to know the area you are visiting.  We have found caches in al the lower 48 states.

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach Allure

taoshum

• ---
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 08:03:46 AM »
Some of the somewhat enlightened insurance companies offer a "Silver Sneakers" program for folks over 65.  They know that exercise will save them big $$ down the line.  You can google the program and see if the places you go have a gym that accepts S'Sneakers.  Most places have at least one gym that accepts the card. 
07 Itasca Meridian 34SH.  '08 Jeep Sahara.
Taos, NM.

The plunge

• ---
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 09:48:29 AM »
Hi Butch and Joanna-

We've had the same concern for not only staying in shape but staying busy. We are trying a new approach for us to tackle both; traveling and volunteering working on homes, mixed in with that is our usual walking, biking and hiking. We just finished a two week stint working on a new house build, feels great to have that kind of ache, just from muscles being used that have been dormant. We limit ourselves to 5-6 hour days and stay mindful of not pushing ourselves too much. Aside from that we stretch in the trailer and have exercise bands.

Gary
2014 F150 Supercrew w/Ecoboost
2014 Arctic Fox 25R

butchiiii

• ---
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 07:04:07 PM »
A few years back Dan Wainwright made a workout station that hung from the 5th wheel hitch on his trailer.  It used a bucket of rocks, a cable and pulley and a bicycle handle.  He controlled the weight by varying the number of rocks in the bucket.   Worked pretty neat.

No that sounds interesting. A MacGyver solution  :))
Butch & Joanna
Ram 2015 Reg Cab 1500

butchiiii

• ---
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 07:05:20 PM »
Speed walking, biking, (and when you are in good safe place do some speed work), canoeing, kayaking and stand up paddleboards.
 The most important thing is to get aerobic and get the blood pumping.

We just got stand up paddleboards this year and believe me, they are a total body work out

jack L

Thanks Jack. All good ideas. We,ve never been paddleboarding. Will have to look into it.
Butch & Joanna
Ram 2015 Reg Cab 1500

butchiiii

• ---
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 07:06:50 PM »
     Look into Geocaching, it will keep you busy and on the go while getting to know the area you are visiting.  We have found caches in al the lower 48 states.

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach Allure

I am going to check that out. I am unfamiliar with "Geocaching". Learn something everyday.  ;)
Butch & Joanna
Ram 2015 Reg Cab 1500

Patnsuzanne

• ---
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 06:16:54 PM »
Though not full timers, we do spend a lot of time traveling. We try to make it a point to stay at state parks, to other areas with good hiking trails either right there, or at least close at hand. If the terrain isn't too rough, we'll run the trails. If you are in a big campground, it's fun to run around every loop checking out all the different rigs and combinations. I quit lifting weights years ago but still do weight bearing exercises every day such as push-ups, squats, planks, etc. You can do things like that most anywhere with no special equipment needed. Many parks have exercise trails with workout stations along the way like chin-up bars. Inflatable balance balls and foam rollers don't take up any room and there are lots of things you can do with them as well. Larger city's will often have running stores that have weekly runs or at least maps of runner friendly routes. Even small towns will have high school stadiums and tracks that you could use after school hours. Even better if you could ride your bikes over from the campground, then get in some stadiums before riding back. There are lots of options out there.  Good luck!
2016 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab
5.7 V8
Equalizer WD hitch
Tekonsha P3
Venture Sporttrek 27RL

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2017, 06:27:05 PM »
The whole problem with working out is that as you age you naturally lose the ability to work out due to muscles receding and weight gain. I spent ten years full timing and for me my workouts consisted of walking or hiking five to ten miles per day. I was diagnosed with emphysema a few years ago and hiking more that a few miles in a day is no longer possible now that I am sneaking up on 70. I have always felt that walking is the very best exercise you can do. The human being was not designed to fly, swim, hop, skip, jump, crawl, run or any other form of locomotion other than walking so therefore I prefer to walk as much as possible.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

butchiiii

• ---
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 06:51:00 PM »
Though not full timers, we do spend a lot of time traveling. We try to make it a point to stay at state parks, to other areas with good hiking trails either right there, or at least close at hand. If the terrain isn't too rough, we'll run the trails. If you are in a big campground, it's fun to run around every loop checking out all the different rigs and combinations. I quit lifting weights years ago but still do weight bearing exercises every day such as push-ups, squats, planks, etc. You can do things like that most anywhere with no special equipment needed. Many parks have exercise trails with workout stations along the way like chin-up bars. Inflatable balance balls and foam rollers don't take up any room and there are lots of things you can do with them as well. Larger city's will often have running stores that have weekly runs or at least maps of runner friendly routes. Even small towns will have high school stadiums and tracks that you could use after school hours. Even better if you could ride your bikes over from the campground, then get in some stadiums before riding back. There are lots of options out there.  Good luck!

Those are all good ideas. We would probably limit our travels to the western states so I'm doing research to find out if there
are any "regional" chain gyms that offer roaming memberships. I will keep everyone interested on what I find out.
Thanks Patnsuzanne
Butch & Joanna
Ram 2015 Reg Cab 1500

butchiiii

• ---
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 06:54:20 PM »
The whole problem with working out is that as you age you naturally lose the ability to work out due to muscles receding and weight gain. I spent ten years full timing and for me my workouts consisted of walking or hiking five to ten miles per day. I was diagnosed with emphysema a few years ago and hiking more that a few miles in a day is no longer possible now that I am sneaking up on 70. I have always felt that walking is the very best exercise you can do. The human being was not designed to fly, swim, hop, skip, jump, crawl, run or any other form of locomotion other than walking so therefore I prefer to walk as much as possible.

I hear you sir. That why I'm really trying to still "use it or lose it". We do love walking and get in about 10 miles per day. I find it to
be great for overall stamina and weight control. Trying to keep it :-)
Butch & Joanna
Ram 2015 Reg Cab 1500

bghouse

• ---
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 08:26:36 PM »
Those are all good ideas. We would probably limit our travels to the western states so I'm doing research to find out if there
are any "regional" chain gyms that offer roaming memberships. I will keep everyone interested on what I find out.
Thanks Patnsuzanne

I've read a couple other articles talking about using Anytime Fitness or Planet Fitness.  Both having the ability to use them as a "roamer" - Anytime Fitness having more places but a higher monthly, Planet Fitness lower monthly but less places.
-------------
Barbara
current location:  Baja California, Mexico
RV status: Still trying to launch!

butchiiii

• ---
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 11:14:39 PM »
I've read a couple other articles talking about using Anytime Fitness or Planet Fitness.  Both having the ability to use them as a "roamer" - Anytime Fitness having more places but a higher monthly, Planet Fitness lower monthly but less places.

Thanks Barbara. I was not aware of 2 you mentioned. I will check both out.  :)
Butch & Joanna
Ram 2015 Reg Cab 1500

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 05:53:08 AM »
The wife and I also work out regularly. All of the above are good ideas, but the key to any exercise program is consistency. Since we travel far and wide, the only answer was to have  our workout stuff with us. For me I carry a set of Bowflex adjustable dumbbells and a flat bench that folds up flat. Medical experts agree that cardio is important as we age, but so is doing weight bearing exercises to maintain bone density. I have a regular routine that encompases about 10 different lifts. Not overly heavy, just varied.  Kind of like the "Curves" workout system. 

I also need to maintain flexibility and do core work (IE situps) so an inflatable exercise ball is the hot ticket. It can also double as an extra outside chair or foot stool when we are just hanging out. The DW has some lighter weights, but likes additional activity in her workouts, so she has found a particular female workout instructor that makes workout DVD's.  She can do the routine while playing DVD on the rig's TV system, or on her laptop. 

We usually do weight workouts one day, then cardio the next. For variety we may jog together, brisk walk, or ride the folding bikes.  I used to have regular bikes, but riding them all over the country while strapped on the back of the Jeep pretty much kills them in a few years. The folding ones ride in the back of the Jeep and are still like new every time they are used. Then also don't forget to mix in off days to give your body a chance to recover. 

This is just our system, and you can see they vary widely. The important thing is whatever you do, just do it regularly. 
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 07:25:23 AM »
Everyone is in a different place as far as their physical health. As we get older, some of that fancy weight resistance equipment may not be appropriate or even safe for some people. IMHO, stretching is one of the key ingredients for physical health over 60. Considering the storage / space limitations of full timers, I think one of the best and versatile ways to do this is with these types of resistance bands. One end secures to something solid - a door knob, a picnic table, or even a tree. Bands are quite versatile for many types of workouts. Combined with biking, jogging, walking, etc.
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

Trivet

• ---
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2017, 01:02:18 PM »
Planet Fitness has two levels of membership.  The $10/month one is just for your home club, but the $19.99/month one allows you to use any facility plus you can bring a guest each time so you might be able to get away with having just one of you sign up. 

I'm pretty sure there's an enrollment fee, plus less well publicized is a once-a-year charge of some sort unrelated to any enrollment fee or monthly dues.

SMR

• ---
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2017, 04:07:05 PM »
we walk as much as we can, bike and go hiking. getting up and moving is the key. as my DW says "you can't exercise away a bad diet"..... JMHO
Gonna put the world away for a minute......
Steve
2016 Bighorn 3760 EL
2015 Ford F350
me, DW and our 2 dogs

DWJoyce

• ---
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2017, 12:37:02 AM »
Never understood workout machines, because few of them are cardiovascular. Walking with "sticks" and swimming are two of the best exercises that exist. That said, in the really cold Winter while it's snowing, or the really hot Summers, my NordicTrac provides a decent workout.

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2017, 06:10:09 AM »
This couple have a blog dedicated to fitness while traveling. I think they travel in a class B.

https://www.thefitrv.com
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Hosted by Over The Network