PU Bed Lining

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Free Spirit

I was always a van guy and not a PU guy. So when I bought the truck, there were things that I didnt even think of that I should have gotten. A bed lining was one of them.
So now that I don't have a bed lining, and want one, what it the recommended way to go? Dealership? Rino Lining? Other?

Free Spirit said:
I was always a van guy and not a PU guy. So when I bought the truck, there were things that I didnt even think of that I should have gotten. A bed lining was one of them.
So now that I don't have a bed lining, and want one, what it the recommended way to go? Dealership? Rino Lining? Other?

I've had LINE+X on two trucks so far and love it. Do not buy the bed lining you drop in. It will wear away the paint from moving around a little.
http://www.linex.com/bedliners?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%2Btruck%20%2Bbed%20%2Bliners&utm_content=!acq!v3!39870685124_kwd-19456154419__170138752540_g_c__&utm_campaign=General

I used to be a Rhino installer.  Their product is very good and almost bullet proof.  Also backed by a nationwide warranty.
In fact, a guy once had me Rhino line some steel plate inserts for bullet proof vests.  The idea was to catch any fragments if the slug shattered upon impact.

I prefer the spray in type, e.g. Rhino or Line-X. Forget the car dealer and go right to the liner company, but be aware that they are franchises and some local installers are more capable than others. The quality of the job depends greatly on the prep work and attention to detail, so try to get local reviews and/or see jobs they have actually done.

Superliner ! our company used to use lineX and Rhino Liner. after trying superliner it has become the new norm. I have it on the roof of my step van and the deco of our pontoon boat, several PU's and did the inside of our Jeep.  Now matter which one you go with the prep work is the most important!

I have no issue with either the spray liners or drop in. It comes down to preference and use.  The spray liners can be pricey, can be difficult to slide anything heavy, and don't protect well against heavy object being dropped.  They have a nice clean appearance and if done correctly will last long and protect against rust.

The drop in liners (which I tend to prefer) are easier to slide items around (can be good or bad), are cheaper, and in my experience protect better from ding and damage to the bed from heavy objects being dropped. Yes they will rub the paint off  where the liner rubs continuously, but its largely cosmetic and not a long term issue.  I live in the snow belt, and keep trucks until they fall apart and never had any rot where the paint rubbed because they always rub the same areas. IMO the concerns about drop in liners is over played.

It just comes down to what works for you.

I agree with Gods Country.  My other truck had the drop in, and yes, things could slide in but then also slide around.  Being able to slide things in was a bonus for me.  My truck now has the spray in.  Tough as nails but nothing slides so I find I have to put whatever it is in, then climb in and move it to the back.  It did chip with a concrete block.  But then it's a truck bed and meant to be used.  I've hauled gravel in both.  Slides and sweeps out of the drop in, but scraping it out of the spray in was like nails on a chalk board.  Good and bad to both. (But my next truck will have a drop in  :)  )

Free Spirit said:

I've had great success with the Bed Rug liner. Provides a good cushion for ding and dent resistance and
allows things to slide in and out easily. See the product link below.

http://www.bedrug.com/education-center/why-choose-us.html

i have had pickups for over 40 years.  Are you going to have a cover for the bed, topper or tonneau?  unless you do construction or use the truck for work you will not likely  dent the box, i never have and I hauled a lot of wood burning logs.  I prefer the spray on over the plastic, the older plastic, 25 years ago would warp and not lay flat.  They are most likely better now, i don't know. 

I have had both drop in and spray on in my trucks for years. Why do I say Line-X? Because advanced composite material used in aircraft construction is part of the Line-X mix. It is very strong and durable. My present truck is 12 yrs old and the Line-X is just as good as the day it went on. Unless they have been significantly improved, the drop in liners have air space between the liner and the truck bed. Moisture  can get trapped there and cause corrosion. The only advantages of the drop-in IMHO are less cost and the ability to remove it when you sell the truck.

Back
Top Bottom