Hiding a Safe in a Motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A couple of empty orange juice cans in a freezer will hold quite a bit of cash. How many thieves would look there unless their looking for a popsicle.

A savvy Border Inspector would, they have likely encountered many such hidey-holes in their day to day jobs....

Alfa38User said:
A savvy Border Inspector would, they have likely encountered many such hidey-holes in their day to day jobs....

Stu, we're trying to keep a thief from finding it. I would be up front with a Border Patrol Agent

The refrigerator or CD jacket idea is the best. Battery powered grinders are now so powerful that they can defeat a safe in a few minutes. There are YouTube videos that show how easy it is to defeat gun safes.

A buddy had a huge vault in his house (weighed about 3000 lbs.) -- He always joked if they could move it, they could have it..... Came home from working out of town for a week, the whole side of his house was cut out with a chain saw and the former wall was used to slide the vault into a waiting get-away vehicle.....

If they want it,,, they'll get it, if they have the time...

When ATM's were just coming out we had one at Digital Equipment Corp. We watched the Brinks guys load it up with 3 metal boxes. Each one held $30,000. It was a big hit with everyone.

Check out this article about the RV bandit. This guy stole millions from RV'ers at the racetracks. It's a pretty crazy story make sure you read all of it.
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-rv-bandit-004524310.html

I would be more concerned with someone stealing the whole RV.  More chance of that happening than someone breaking in and trying to remove a safe.  RVs make great portable meth labs.

I just have a hiding spot for the emergency cash and spare bank cards I carry.  I can always get more from a bank or ATM if I need it. 
Here's another trick. I also keep a little cash and a dead bank card in a drawer where it's easy to find. Chance are if they find that, they'll stop looking.

On the newer rigs, all you need to do to avoid theft of the MH is pull the fuel pump relay. No relay, no fuel to the injectors. As far as a safe, just look for a hidden cubby hole and lag bolt it to the floor. You could stow a handgun there when you aren't concealed carrying it also.

If I wanted to hide a large amount of cash, which I don't, I would clean out a grease gun cartridge, stuff rolls of $$$ in and close it up.  Smear grease on the outside and toss it in a bin.
Marvin

How about a false bottom in a box of tampons?

But I'm retired.  I don't have any money. 8)

SissyBoyFloyd said:
Is there a really safe place to secure a safe or hide your money, especially if its a considerable amount, in a B+, C, and Class A motorhomes?  Is bolting a small safe to the floor of a closet good enough, or has someone come up with the perfect solution?  Is there an ideal way to travel with lots of money?  Is a thief ransacking your motorhome even a problem to worry about?  How often does that even happen?  I can't remember ever reading about that anywhere.
SissyBoyFloyd
I use a couple of these:
https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=aRwIXMWVE4jusQWi-4L4Bg&q=can+%22safe%22&btnK=Google+Search&oq=can+%22safe%22&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i20i263j0l3j0i20i263j0l3j0i10j0.1579.14555..34084...0.0..0.134.1224.1j10......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..35i39j0i131.8cGPK7ryOa8

Rene T said:
A couple of empty orange juice cans in a freezer will hold quite a bit of cash. How many thieves would look there unless their looking for a popsicle.

All of them.  In between jobs they read this blog to gain insight into the minds of people like us.  ;D

Plenty of hidey holes in RV's if you get creative and start looking.

I had a waterproof and fireproof safe in my Class C. It held my  puter backups, valuable documents, cash, spare ID, extra drugs and other stuff. It was installed and disguised. I always kept it locked.

I never once told anyone it existed.
Until now.

But I've since sold the RV and the new owner knows about it and was thrilled to have it as an option.

It gave me peace of mind, especially having the backups in there.

The spare cash came in handy more often than I would have thought necessary.

I always lock my RV if I am leaving my site. Just good sense.

I also keep it locked up while I am pumping gas.

I have an elastic type thing that fits around my wrist with the key on it. Super handy.

I also have a standard hidey hole where I stash my purse between uses so it's not just laying around where anyone visiting or peaking in the windows would see it.

GA_Boy said:
If I wanted to hide a large amount of cash, which I don't, I would clean out a grease gun cartridge, stuff rolls of $$$ in and close it up.  Smear grease on the outside and toss it in a bin.
Marvin

That is a great idea!  I'm in favor of making the hiding place not look like a hiding place (hiding in plain sight).  I also suggest "stash cans", which look EXACTLY like mundane consumer items, such as WD40, snacks, etc.  They have a concealed way to unscrew the bottom or top.  Many are weighted a bit and have some loose stuff in them so they look AND feel like the real thing.  Toss a WD40 can with your tools or a Pringles can in your pantry.  Someone will really have to look hard to figure it out, and even then they'll have to open everything in the pantry, which I doubt many casual thieves would do.

Here is an Ebay listing showing what I'm talking about.  They can also be found on Amazon and in certain retail shops.  https://www.ebay.com/i/263433955667?chn=ps&var=562456310982

Back in my early 20's I worked in a liquor store. They had a very large safe in the office. One night the owner ask me to help her put things away for the night (She had a broken ankle). So we are getting invoices and such filed and getting all checks and cash bundled for the next day deposits. And when it came time to put the cash and checks away she places them in a box on the floor and covers it with a towel.......I asked about the safe and she replied.....Her husband bought that "DAMN THING" and promptly forgot the combination.....LOL....I asked why he didn't write it down....He did...but he left it in the safe.

At that time it was nothing to have 20 to 30 thousand dollar deposits during the week and of course a lot more on weekends and holidays. And all keep in a cardboard box in plain sight. They did get broke into one night but all they got was some liquor and some change from the open cash register. Very few people ever knew about the box.

Gizmo100 said:
Back in my early 20's I worked in a liquor store. They had a very large safe in the office. One night the owner ask me to help her put things away for the night (She had a broken ankle). So we are getting invoices and such filed and getting all checks and cash bundled for the next day deposits. And when it came time to put the cash and checks away she places them in a box on the floor and covers it with a towel.......I asked about the safe and she replied.....Her husband bought that "DAMN THING" and promptly forgot the combination.....LOL....I asked why he didn't write it down....He did...but he left it in the safe.

At that time it was nothing to have 20 to 30 thouhttp://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/Smileys/default/undecided.gifsand dollar deposits during the week and of course a lot more on weekends and holidays. And all keep in a cardboard box in plain sight. They did get broke into one night but all they got was some liquor and some change from the open cash register. Very few people ever knew about the box.

What was the address of that store????  :eek: ??? ::) :p :-\

My concern with fake cans, grease tubes, etc. is that perhaps someone would throw them out thinking they were trash.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom