Information on what brand of Digital Battery Monitor people installed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2004CS

Now that I upgraded my Converter/Charger. Have ordered 2 AGM 6v batteries. I am wondering what brand of Digital Battery Monitor have people installed?

We've had a Trimetric RV 2030 battery monitor for a little more than three years. It's one of the most useful boondocking tools/devices I've installed. Wouldn't be without it.

Kev 

I have no idea on the brand, looked on Amazon and got one from China. I did wire a switch into so that it wouldn't show a constant display.  I didn't want it draining juice from the batteries.  I've had it 2 years and it seems to work very well. As Kevin said, it's nice to see what your batteries are doing.

kjansen said:
I have no idea on the brand, looked on Amazon and got one from China. I did wire a switch into so that it wouldn't show a constant display.  I didn't want it draining juice from the batteries.  I've had it 2 years and it seems to work very well. As Kevin said, it's nice to see what your batteries are doing.

It looks like the Drok 3 digit found on Amazon.

What sort of battery monitoring are you looking for? Capabilities vary widely, from simply voltage displays to amp & amp-hour measurement with alarms at suitable thresholds. Most people get by with basic battery voltage (and maybe seldom look at that!), while others try to plan their usage and charging cycles in great detail. There isn't a great need for detailed monitoring for basic weekend use, especially if you usually have shore power anyway. For longer term off-grid camping, you probably want more info.

I have a Xantrex LinkPro on both my boat and RV. Would not be without them! It will be easily be paid for by giving you accurate information to properly manage your battery bank thus making the batteries last MUCH longer.

Gary RVer Emeritus said:
What sort of battery monitoring are you looking for? Capabilities vary widely, from simply voltage displays to amp & amp-hour measurement with alarms at suitable thresholds. Most people get by with basic battery voltage (and maybe seldom look at that!), while others try to plan their usage and charging cycles in great detail. There isn't a great need for detailed monitoring for basic weekend use, especially if you usually have shore power anyway. For longer term off-grid camping, you probably want more info.

Gary I have ordered 2 AGM 6v batteries. We do a lot of dry camping. Would like a unit with a alarm when batteries need to be charged up. We do not have a lot of high watt using item in our RV. Just the piece of mind. 

2004CS said:
Gary I have ordered 2 AGM 6v batteries. We do a lot of dry camping. Would like a unit with a alarm when batteries need to be charged up. We do not have a lot of high watt using item in our RV. Just the piece of mind.
Get the Trimetric or one which has the same capabilities.  The shunt mounts on the negative cable coming from the battery and a light weight 4-5 wire cable is run to the monitor inside of the rig, mounted in an easy to view location.  With the monitor in an easy to view location I have never needed an alarm. With just a glance I can see the state of charge of the battery.  I don't know of any which have an alarm until the battery is already so low that you have greatly reduced the life of your battery. 

Since you are doing a lot of dry camping you will want to charge your batteries when they get 25% discharged (75% full) for long battery life.  Some people go to 50% discharge, but you greatly reduce the life of your batteries. 

How do you plan on charging your batteries when you dry camp?  You really want a three stage charger which does, bulk, absorb and float charging.  The standard converter in many (most?) RV's only does float charging at about 13.4V and takes many, many, mamy hours to charge the battery pack.

AStravelers said:
Get the Trimetric or one which has the same capabilities.  The shunt mounts on the negative cable coming from the battery and a light weight 4-5 wire cable is run to the monitor inside of the rig, mounted in an easy to view location.  With the monitor in an easy to view location I have never needed an alarm. With just a glance I can see the state of charge of the battery.  I don't know of any which have an alarm until the battery is already so low that you have greatly reduced the life of your battery. 

Since you are doing a lot of dry camping you will want to charge your batteries when they get 25% discharged (75% full) for long battery life.  Some people go to 50% discharge, but you greatly reduce the life of your batteries. 

How do you plan on charging your batteries when you dry camp?  You really want a three stage charger which does, bulk, absorb and float charging.  The standard converter in many (most?) RV's only does float charging at about 13.4V and takes many, many, mamy hours to charge the battery pack.
Thanks Al    I will look at Trimetric RV 2030 as someone else said they have. I will be charging batteries with our generator. I just upgraded our Converter/Charger with a 3 stage unit. I just bought 2 AGM 6v batteries and want these batteries to last.

Back
Top Bottom