Help me decide on a fifth wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DisneyCamping

We are going back and forth on 2 different floor plans. We are a family of 5 (boys 9,9,8). We will be making 1-2 week trips per year and multiple weekend and long weekend trips. We plan on keeping this trailer for a while. So want to have for now, when kids get older and when its just us later on.

Mid bunk  -- love how the boys have a space, but will they grow out of it has they get older.
http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=188&Image=5077&ModelID=2487#Main

back den -- love how the 2 sofas make the 2 large beds. Love how there is a large space for us to all sit around and watch tv together. Also has lots of space on the floor for kids to play games and such.

http://www.dixierv.com/2017-keystone-avalanche-370rd-new-fifth-wheel-la-i2059565

both are examples. Trying to decide on layout.

Right now,you should probably pick what has the most space for adult humans.  Those boys will grow quickly!  You may find you want something different when it is just the two of you.  It does look like the Sierra gives them some private space. 

What plan do the boys like?

I suspect the boys will love to have a tent of their own outside, when the campground allows that sort of thing. Then by the time they are 16-17, they probably won't want to go with you anyway.

The problem with the sofa beds is that the kids can't go to bed if the adults want to stay up. Or vice versa. Unless you put all three kids in the bedroom and you & wife take the sofa bed.

Mid bunk room IMHO chops the floor plan up too much.  There are floor plans that offer 4 bunks in the rear.  To me that would be a better solution.  No matter what you decide on your going to want as much seperation as possible between sleeping areas.  Also remember, a fifth wheel is going to drop a lot more weight over the rear axle of your tow vehicle.  So plan on a crew cab dually to haul most any larger fiver.

We are going to bring the boys next weekend to look at the two. But the more I think about it like Gary said when they 15 or so and they don't want to camp with us anymore and i have a bunk area I don't need. I know they would like the bunk room and loft now, but give it 5 years will they still need it or even want it.

You may want to take a look at this. Grand Design Solitude 375RES. It has more storage than any other fifth wheel that I have seen. Grand Design has a good reputation for service and when the boys aren't with you this will make a nice den/office.

Back
Top Bottom