Generator advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cfendrich

Hi - I have a small 19' trailer and I'm looking to get a generator. I just need it for lights the fridge and AC. What size generator should I get??

Should I spend the extra $$ for a Honda or spend a lot less for a different brand?

Thanks for the help!

I've used a couple different brands of generators and I'll never buy another power tool that doesn't have a Honda engine. 

The extra money is well worth it in my opinion. 

We have a Honda 2000i.  It powers everything in the motorhome except the A/C.  It's great for powering a small electric heater when you don't want to run the furnace.  Like any other engine, it requires regular service.  We service ours every 100 hours or so.  Change oil, filters (air, fuel and oil), and spark plugs if needed.  We have had ours for about 8 years and use it frequently.  Great for topping off the battery every few days. 

Cfendrich said:
Hi - I have a small 19' trailer and I'm looking to get a generator. I just need it for lights the fridge and AC. What size generator should I get??

Should I spend the extra $$ for a Honda or spend a lot less for a different brand?

Thanks for the help!

If I was parked next to you while camping, I surely would not want to listen to a very loud generator all day long and maybe into the night. That's what going to happen if you get a cheaper one.  That's why a Honda is the way to go. I have a Yamaha 2000 which is the same as the Honda pretty much . There are 3 things the Yamaha has over the Honda. It has a fuel gauge, a shut off for the fuel so you can shut it off then run the fuel line/carburetor dry for storage over a long period of time and it has battery charging cables. With the Honda, cables are an option you have to buy.
Either brand, you'd have to buy 2 generators and pair them up if you want to use your AC.

I too am a Honda or Yamaha proponent.  I have a Yamaha  6300 Watt Inverter generator ( not for my camping...I have an onboard 5500 Watt Onan on the Toy Hauler), and you can be standing 10' away from the Yamaha generator and hold a normal conversation....it's that quiet!  You simply cannot beat either one of those two brands when it comes to reliability, quality, and resale value if you ever choose to sell it or upgrade.

My dad has been fulltiming for a few years and uses the cheapo Powerhorse generators. They're really quiet and he hasn't had any major issues with them. They were about $600 each.

I've had a great experience with Champion generators - the inverter ones, not the open frame construction ones. If you're not worried about AC I'd get this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-73536i-Stackable/dp/B0041K09D8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1494867320&sr=8-3&keywords=champion+inverter+generator

Hey Cfendrich,
There are a few things to consider here;
1) How big is your AC unit? A 3000watt inverter generator will power a 13,500 BTU AC unit and anything smaller. If your AC unit is 15,000 BTU's you should go larger than 3000watts.

2) NOISE: No one wants their campsite to sound like a construction zone. If you are looking for quiet portable power you are in the market for an INVERTER generator (as opposed to a conventional generator). Inverters also produce a "cleaner" power source that is suitable for sensitive electronics such as laptops and smartphones. The inverting process produces a smoother sine wave that will not damage the microprocessors within these electronics.

Many people swear by Honda's and Yamaha's and they are the industry leaders when it comes to inverter generators BUT there are many alternative companies (ie Champion, WEN, Westinghouse) putting forth very competitive products at a lesser price that merit consideration when shopping around for a generator.

I found this website to be extremely helpful when deciding which generator best suits your needs;

quietpowergenerators.com

The "inverters vs generators" page is very insightful and arms you with the knowledge necessary to make an educated purchase. They also have a "usage charts" page which helps you calculate what size generator you will need for your particular electrical needs. It also has detailed reviews of the latest and best selling inverter generators on the market.

I hope this helps! Happy camping and all the best,
Dave

lone_star_dsl said:
My dad has been fulltiming for a few years and uses the cheapo Powerhorse generators. They're really quiet and he hasn't had any major issues with them. They were about $600 each.

I went through three different Chinese generators in a 10 year period of time.......never again.  Yamaha 6300 Inverter for me.  Of course that one is way too big for what the O.P. is looking for, but Yamaha and Honda make excellent quality gennerators in the smaller sizes too.

We have a small Honda we got for our business when we set up at fairs. we will be taking it with us on our trip. It is quiet - very important, but even more essential, I can start it by myself even though I'm an old lady with bad shoulders. It's hard for me to carry when it's full of fuel, but I can do it and even lift it into the vehicle. If we needed more power, we would get a second small Honda and connect them.

Welcome!!!

Most of those generators shown in the tables are often called "construction" style or "open frame" generators. They are generally a bit noisier than the more expensive "Honda"/"Yamaha"style inverter type generators. Many would not be acceptable in a "close" campground arrangement.

Look for an Inverter type generator. They are generally more quiet and the engine speed/noise will vary with the load. The open frame style generally run at a fixed higher speed regardless of load.

See my last edited version . I was typing while you were LOL.

Cannot be used indoors!!....  interfere with others? .... Yes, no one will like the constant drone of those generators. Ever been around when someone is using an electric or gas powered pressure washer?  Drives me nuts after a short while!!

Loud generators are obnoxious enough during daylight hours, much less in the evenings when folks are winding down and getting ready to go to sleep.  Some of us go to bed early, relatively speaking, and the last thing I want to hear is a loud generator droning away into the night.  To me, being considerate of others while camping or ??? is still a priority.  And heaven forbid the guy with the loud generator and he turns it so that the exhaust is pointed towards my campsite instead of his own.....that ain't gonna fly either.

You might find that an EU2000 Honda will power your AC.  Mine did so on my 27' trailer, but when I purchase my new trailer I had to purchase a Companion generator and link them together to power my rig.

Back
Top Bottom