Bunkhouse information needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimbodean

I'm currently researching the bunkhouse models as we are fixing to soon be a full time RV family of 3...My wife and I and our 11 year old daughter. I've been totally confused as to where to start. So I figured first I need to start with manufacturers and then narrow it down to floor plans and decide on 5th wheel or Tagalongs. I'm looking for at least 32' minimum with rear bunkhouse with a 2nd bathroom and 3 slideouts.
I'm not wanting to get the very best but want a good quality trailer at an affordable price, possibly in the high $20's to mid $30's.....I'm currently working in the W.Tx. Oil Fields away from my family and am renting a 5th wheel and have noticed the upstairs bedroom sure does get hotter than the rest of the trailer, so now I'm wondering if I should stay away from 5th wheels.
But my biggest question is which manufacturer should I start with as far as quality goes?
There are SO many to choose from, just needing a really good trailer.

I think most replies will advise you to pick the floor plan first,then see who makes what you are looking for.  I don't know that there is much quality difference within each price range. 

Are you thinking a gently used,well-maintained unit or brand new?  You can avoid the steep depreciation on a new rig which is important if the first trailer/5th wheel isn't quite the one. 

What truck do you have or are you buying? 

People will be along with more and better advice,no doubt.

I have a Dodge Dually 3500...I'm looking for a rear bunkhouse or 2nd bedroom with 2 full baths...gently used is fine, I just need something that's well made and comfortable.

I takes an extremely long time researching and filtering all the RV mfg.s...Hoping to narrow that down with the help of this forum....

Welcome to the Forum.  Thanks for the truck info.

That truck should be fine for almost any TT you might want, or any  FW up to about 19,000# or so.

All manufacturers build to a specific price point.  For a given price range for new campers, all will be of very similar quality.  You will be far better off looking for 3 - 5 year old gently used campers from a higher price range, which are now selling in your price range.

Reasons for used:  More camper for less money.
    Less loss due to depreciation
    All NEW campers have issues which will be fixed under warranty.  Where will you live while it is in the shop?  With used campers, these issues should already be fixed.  You will have repairs needed, but you can do them yourselves or choose your repair service.
    Should you choose to sell or upgrade your camper, the financial hit from the transaction is much less with a used unit.

To help you in this process:
    Read lots of posts on this forum.  You will get an education!
    Read Library articles.  See the Library tab above.
    Visit lots of RV lots and look at many models.  You will quickly decide what features you need and which you do not want.
    The MOST IMPORTANT choice is Floor Plan!  Pick one that will be loved by the entire family!

Keep posting questions!

Enjoy the journey!

jimbodean said:
Ok...To make my question easier to answer...
What manufacturer should I avoid?

The problem is that there aren't many manufacturers anymore. Buyouts and bankruptcies have really whittled the field down. Each of the remaining manufacturers makes many different brands. Within each of those brands, there will be gems and there will be lemons. You have to remember that nearly each RV is built on an assembly line by people that earn basic wages that use parts provided by the lowest bidder. Until you get into custom built units, the workmanship and materials are comparable across the board.

I don't think there is any one brand that people will tell you to stay away from or ones that are a "sure thing".

To really narrow things down, find the type of trailer and floorplan that you like, then research that brand.

Man!, I took the TT you need right from your back yard. I got mine from an auction in Texas, it had side damage, some one backed into it and needed some siding replaced , which I did, all in less than 500.00 in repairs. It was used once and the original bill of sale was in TT, guy paid 44k for it, I paid 11k. I had it shipped to Michigan. Jayco has a 2 year warranty. A really nice TT, the guy even added a second roof top ac unit. Check out this floor plan, it is REALLY nice.

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/2016-jay-flight/floorplans-and-prices/

Good luck in your search.

Buy used, Buy bigger than you think and get more toys on it than you think. My two cents.!

grashley said:
That truck should be fine for almost any TT you might want, or any  FW up to about 19,000# or so.

He didn't even list a year or options for the truck yet somehow, you have managed to nail down his tow rating. I mean, he could have a 1994 with a tow rating of 11,000 lbs or a 2017 with a tow rating of 31,210 lbs.

You are very gifted my friend.

Have you been to any dealers or rv shows?  Just leave your checkbook at home until you know what you want.

I would not give up on 5th wheels but look for better AC or second unit. 

Of course,you want to figure out what YOUR truck is capable of pulling. 

Will your daughter be bringing friends along?  Don't forget to figure them and their gear in weight calculations.

I'm not sure you will find much agreement on brands but floor plan,floor plan and what the wife likes seem to be recurring advice.  (Yes, floor plan is stated twice).  Wish I could point you in one direction but it's just too individual.  Good luck in your search!

Back
Top Bottom