?The Friendly Skies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ray,

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Sounds like he had a good life.

We visited our kids in Kentucky in the coach recently - there was lots of snow and ice. Here's a photo of our coach in our son's driveway.
[edit]Fixed typos[/edit]

Tom said:
The "friendly skies" ad was UAL. Pan AM were the guys who used to fly the Clipper out of Treasure Island on San Francisco Bay in the days when folks used to dress in their "best suits" to make the trip.

My dad was one of the original Pan Am employees on the west coast.  He started as a summer intern.  In 1934 he went to Midway Island as the construction superintendent to build the base there.  There is a picture in many history books of a Pan Am clipper flying past Diamond Head on April 17, 1935 (first flight).  It has the names of the crew and is signed by each crewmember.  My father printed the crewmember names and that original picture is hanging on my home office wall.

Several years ago, I took a nephew with me to Boeing field where I was an instructor for Continental in the Boeing simulators.  We went to the Boeing book store and found a just released Pan Am history book with a picture of my father standing on the dock at Midway.  That was a cool experience.

Don

Don,

I keep promising myself to visit the Pan Am museum at TI. I've seen a documentary on it and the Clipper flights, but haven't made it to the museum yet.

Personally I won't get back on a plane unless it's an emergency or a vacation to another country. I doubt that will happen again unless we win lotto. :)

We were in the UK when 9/11 happened. After spending a wonderful 6 weeks it was time to head home. We flew from Paris to London and then to the US. In Paris everyone had to go through a security check and the luggage was scanned. While waiting to board the aircraft we sat near one of the ramps. Security personnel were doing additional searches randomly. There was a low shelf behind our seats. There must have been a hundred pair of scissors and knives and other items that should have been caught by the xray scan but weren't. That did not make us feel very comfortable.

When we arrived in Washington security took aside a family of four, two little girls, and searched their backpacks. Meanwhile dozens of adults, without kids, kept filing past. They weren't given a second look. Now we hear on the news (thanks for telling our enemies!!) that most airline employees do not have to go through any security checks. They just caught an employee smuggling guns on one of the airlines!!! As some have said most of the security is a joke. They are overlooking one of the most potentially dangerous areas for gaining access to a flight. What really scares me now is the new Airbus that can carry up to 800 passengers. What a juicy target for terrorists!!! :mad:

I do believe security is necessary but let's get it right!!!

I've logged many hours as a passenger in the C-121 "Super Constellation", the plane of choice when we were supposed to arrive 'in country' as civilians. Somehow, I think, people were either not fooled, or scared half to death when they saw a bunch of guys in civvies disembark carrying M-1's and 45's strapped around our waists. The planes carried markings of either Flying Tiger Airlines, or Air America. 

Gee, guys, thanks for the lovely discussion on flying a month before I fly from Albuquerque to Nashville. I think I prefer walking.

As for the friendly skies, I remember when you got free food on your flight, they served peanuts (why can't we have peanuts anymore on planes?), all the emploiyees smiled at you, and your family and friends could meet you at the gate, not at baggage claim. I miss the good old days.

And as for security, I understand the need, I know they're trying their best but it's a joke. Why can't security use profiling? It wasn't little old ladies who flew planes into those buildings. I've watched 80-year-old, silver-haired ladies being searched. I've had my luggage go through "special processing" and I've been searched. And shortly after 9/11, I saw a grandmotherly type lady surrounded by security when she pulled out her knitting....seems her kintting needles had made it through security. I'd rather they err on the side of excessive paranoia and searching but I'm not sure they've got it right.

Ok, I'm done. Wish me luck next month.

Wendy,

You mean profiling in train the agents to look for suspicious behavior instead of making grandma take off her shoes and give up her shampoo?  That might actually stop a bad guy, and then the agents would have all that paperwork to fill out.  Easier to fill the quota of searches with innocent travelers.

Oh, good luck next month ::)

The last time I almost got denied boarding was when I was getting stripped searched while a large group of young people walked through security and I asked " And just what profile does a fat 63 year old grandfather match?"

The response I got from the 25 year old inspector was "I know, I'm just wasting your tax money keeping the skies safe." At least he had a sense of humor! :)

Ned said:
the agents would have all that paperwork to fill out.  Easier to fill the quota of searches with innocent travelers.

Ah, paperwork.....wouldn't want anyone to have to fill out paperwork.

As for flying next month, I'm sure I'll get the usual pat-down....I always do. I guess I must match some profile, maybe the same "fat middle aged grandparent" one that Jeff fits.

Wendy, you don't come close to Jeff's profile :)  Take the motorhome and enjoy the trip.

Maybe Wendy has that  Hey lets check her off look to her.  As they say  "It's all in the eyes of the beholder"  maybe the beholder thinks she's shady .  Not a fact just a thought LOL

wendycoke said:
Why can't security use profiling? It wasn't little old ladies who flew planes into those buildings. I've watched 80-year-old, silver-haired ladies being searched. I've had my luggage go through "special processing" and I've been searched.
Ok, I'm done. Wish me luck next month.

Wendy

In the name of Political Correctness, profiling is illega in the US. Don't ask, can't tell.

Luck next month. ;D

Wendy,

Just a thought about searching "lil ole Grandma's". Perhaps they think we are senile enough to have left their luggage in a place where a terrorist could sneak a package into it unnoticed. Not likely since Grandma is very careful with her belongings, especially the pocketbook! :)

Ned said:
Wendy, you don't come close to Jeff's profile :)  Take the motorhome and enjoy the trip.

Wendy:

Ned got that right.  ;D

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom