EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: "Tow Haul" or Not to "Tow Haul"?  (Read 543 times)

MikeG2331

• ---
"Tow Haul" or Not to "Tow Haul"?
« on: May 14, 2017, 09:30:16 PM »
We just installed a Blue Ox tow system for our Class A gas RV and our Jeep Patriot. When we're towing, should the "Tow Haul" switch on the Ford V10 be on at all times when we're towing? Or do we just need it when we're traveling through hills?

Thanks!

garyb1st

• ---
Re: "Tow Haul" or Not to "Tow Haul"?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 10:12:10 PM »
When we pulled our 30 foot trailer with our Ford F250, we only used tow haul to slow us on those long downhill grades. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2017, 10:23:54 PM »
When we pulled our 30 foot trailer with our Ford F250, we only used tow haul to slow us on those long downhill grades.

Are you sure you are not confusing Tow/Haul with a diesel engine brake?  To the OP, I see no reason not to and I always engage my tow haul mode unless on a long flat road which is rare driving mostly in the west.  When steep hills and mountainous terrain is involved engaging it will help towing performance and save your transmission. 
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 11:46:16 PM »
I always use the tow/haul mode when towing my TT. It reduces the constant shifting and is easier on the transmission.  The motor companies put them on trucks for a reason. Why not use it?
Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
pulled by 2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

Buggy-Bumpers

• ---
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 03:51:42 AM »
Use it, it says on service brakes and keeps the engine and tranny in the sweet spot for hills and towing.
Retired Navy Submariner
2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F; 2014 jeep Cherokee

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 07:45:35 AM »
I always use the tow/haul mode when towing my TT. It reduces the constant shifting and is easier on the transmission.  The motor companies put them on trucks for a reason. Why not use it?

I agree but to me, the magic words are "It reduces the constant shifting". I my case if we're towing and it looks like the transmission will be constantly downshifting/upshifting because of a slight hill, I'll put it in Tow Haul otherwise, I do not use it.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 07:54:01 AM »
If one happens to have a new F-350/F-450 or F53 with the 6 speed Torqueflite, (6R140) transmission, try the "manual" mode to see if that mode works better for you. I can't believe it took Ford so long to get that transmission behind the V-10. From what I have found they started using it on 2016 chassis's.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 08:54:44 AM »
Are you sure you are not confusing Tow/Haul with a diesel engine brake?  To the OP, I see no reason not to and I always engage my tow haul mode unless on a long flat road which is rare driving mostly in the west.  When steep hills and mountainous terrain is involved engaging it will help towing performance and save your transmission.

Gizmo, I believe it simply causes the transmission to down shift when braking.  I don't know what an engine brake feels like.  With the tow haul, you can actually feel the down shift with increased engine rpms.  When accelerating, it actually upshifts if still engaged. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Gizmo

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 09:42:05 AM »
Gizmo, I believe it simply causes the transmission to down shift when braking.  I don't know what an engine brake feels like.  With the tow haul, you can actually feel the down shift with increased engine rpms.  When accelerating, it actually upshifts if still engaged.

The engine braking on a diesel can be significant and I guess depending on how the truck is equipped with an engine brake.  In my truck there are two modes, auto and full.  On full I can while towing my TT go down steep mountain passes and not have to use the brakes or very little to control speed.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

Hosted by Over The Network