"Tow Haul" or Not to "Tow Haul"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeG2331

We just installed a Blue Ox tow system for our Class A gas RV and our Jeep Patriot. When we're towing, should the "Tow Haul" switch on the Ford V10 be on at all times when we're towing? Or do we just need it when we're traveling through hills?

Thanks!

garyb1st said:
When we pulled our 30 foot trailer with our Ford F250, we only used tow haul to slow us on those long downhill grades.

Are you sure you are not confusing Tow/Haul with a diesel engine brake?  To the OP, I see no reason not to and I always engage my tow haul mode unless on a long flat road which is rare driving mostly in the west.  When steep hills and mountainous terrain is involved engaging it will help towing performance and save your transmission. 

I always use the tow/haul mode when towing my TT. It reduces the constant shifting and is easier on the transmission.  The motor companies put them on trucks for a reason. Why not use it?

Lowell said:
I always use the tow/haul mode when towing my TT. It reduces the constant shifting and is easier on the transmission.  The motor companies put them on trucks for a reason. Why not use it?

I agree but to me, the magic words are "It reduces the constant shifting". I my case if we're towing and it looks like the transmission will be constantly downshifting/upshifting because of a slight hill, I'll put it in Tow Haul otherwise, I do not use it.

If one happens to have a new F-350/F-450 or F53 with the 6 speed Torqueflite, (6R140) transmission, try the "manual" mode to see if that mode works better for you. I can't believe it took Ford so long to get that transmission behind the V-10. From what I have found they started using it on 2016 chassis's.

Gizmo said:
Are you sure you are not confusing Tow/Haul with a diesel engine brake?  To the OP, I see no reason not to and I always engage my tow haul mode unless on a long flat road which is rare driving mostly in the west.  When steep hills and mountainous terrain is involved engaging it will help towing performance and save your transmission.

Gizmo, I believe it simply causes the transmission to down shift when braking.  I don't know what an engine brake feels like.  With the tow haul, you can actually feel the down shift with increased engine rpms.  When accelerating, it actually upshifts if still engaged. 

garyb1st said:
Gizmo, I believe it simply causes the transmission to down shift when braking.  I don't know what an engine brake feels like.  With the tow haul, you can actually feel the down shift with increased engine rpms.  When accelerating, it actually upshifts if still engaged.

The engine braking on a diesel can be significant and I guess depending on how the truck is equipped with an engine brake.  In my truck there are two modes, auto and full.  On full I can while towing my TT go down steep mountain passes and not have to use the brakes or very little to control speed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom