pro/cons on 2003 F350?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lvandyke

any feedback on 2003 King Ranch F350 w/ 186k miles? need tow vehicle for GVWR 8600lbs 27ft Northtrails,
I see the 6.0L seems to have some issues and not wanting to break down while towing.
any suggestions would be helpful- need to find tow vehicle in Ft Worth area in next few weeks
thanks in advance

What work has been done to the motor?  If it has been studded (factory head bolts replaced with studs) and egr removed, you would be getting a good motor assuming all maintenance has been kept up. 
The torqueshift transmission is a really good trans, so that shouldn't be a problem.
I've had 2 trucks with 6.0 motors, one gave me some issues but the other didn't. Very strong motor, but up until recently I spoke very negatively about it and used to tell people to stay away, but I've run across several diehard diesel guys that are always on the lookout for those trucks, because they're pre DPF trucks, they're powerful and they're easy to work on. 
Just my thoughts.

Gotta agree with Stewie. If the 6.0L has had the standard set of "fixes" applied, it should be fine, and the price is likely to be better because of the poor rep of the 6.0L years. The dealer may have priced it in hopes that the buyer isn't aware of the 6.0L concerns, so don't be afraid to use it as a bargaining chip.

Find a good diesel shop in your area and have it inspected before purchase. He can tell you pretty much what has been done and what needs to be done to make it "bulletproof".  Adjust your purchase offer accordingly.

BruceinFL said:
Find a good diesel shop in your area and have it inspected before purchase. He can tell you pretty much what has been done and what needs to be done to make it "bulletproof".  Adjust your purchase offer accordingly.
Excellent point and one I should have stated as well.

Very good advice.  For a 14 year old truck, it is fairly low miles, very well equipped with much more power tan really needed for that camper.  Rarely does anyone complain about having too much truck. 

If the price is right for the condition, go for it!

The 7.3 was an option in 03 so you might double check which engine is in it for sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom