Convincing my wife length matters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
2PawsRiver said:
14 foot garage and all we really need is 10 feet. 

I am in same boat as you wanting 36'-38' and wife is on board.  But your above comment tells me you are looking at Toy Haulers; which we are/were not.
All of the 36-38; toy haulers I have looked at were not full time living friendly IMHO.  Actual living space just wasn't very big.

If you have to have a Toy Hauler; I agree 40' for comfort.  Ditch the Toy Hauler and 38' can be peachy.
As previously mentioned- floor plan to meet your needs is key.

We were newbies last year looking for a used TT for our trip around the country. My wife found a 34' one she liked, and I pushed back saying it was too big. She kept saying "Sometime during the trip, it's going to rain for days, and you'll be glad you have the 4 extra feet". Her fear was one of us killing the other. My money was on her making it out alive. We got the TT she wanted.

She was right. When we hit the OR coast in Oct, it rained endlessly, and hard. I think those extra feet saved my life.  ;-)

For a 42 footer you most likely need a 1 ton dually, keep that in mind.  We pull a 34 footer, there are places that it is big enough.

Have her look at the keystone fuzion 371 we just got one and we love it. We have a bath and a half and an 11 foot garage and the storage is great in this camper.

We were also shopping for a 34-36 foot 5th wheeler, but at the same price range we found a 40 footer with a layout we loved and bought it.
I am VERY thankful I went for the bigger floorplan. So far I haven't had any issues with campgrounds, but have not been to any state parks yet.

Stockfamilyof5 said:
Have her look at the keystone fuzion 371 we just got one and we love it. We have a bath and a half and an 11 foot garage and the storage is great in this camper.

Interestingly enough, that is one of the Toy Haulers we have been looking at.  Right now it is between the Fuzion 371 and the Grand Design 351.  We like both the floor plans.  We have had the opportunity to look at the 371, really liked it, however my general impression is that the Grand Design is made a little better, however I have not been able to locate a 351,.........how has your experience with the Fuzion 371 been?

My wife is good with the shorter length, as long as it has the three slide outs.

Our first debate was the Toy Hauler or not.......we actually consider the toy hauler to be additional living space.....once the bikes are unloaded it gives us an extra table to sit do hobbies....she makes jewelry, I tie flies.....also the ramp gives us a patio to hang out on.

grashley said:
1.  FLOOR PLAN  FLOOR PLAN

Also worth considering is the tow vehicle.  Forget all about a ? ton.  A 1 ton SRW will carry about 15,000# GVWR of FW.  A 1 ton DRW (dually) will carry up to about 20,000# GVWR of FW.  Most 40 ft FW will be over 15,000 #.  Some will be over 20,000#.  Over 20,000#, you are in MDT (Medium Duty Truck) territory.

I don't want to start a big argument here, but your numbers are either outdated or purely subjective.  My 2016 Ram 3500 DRW has a GCWR of 39,100 lbs which leaves me with about 30,000 lbs of towing capacity. I've hauled that much weight many times and there is certainly no need for a MDT to do it.

Floor plan, floor plan, floor plan!!  Floor plan remains when all else if forgotten of accepted.

Unless you plan on doing a lot of touring, the length difference is minimal. If you do plan to tour a lot, smaller is better. By smaller I mean much over 28 feet gets hard to manipulate city streets to find those out of the way tourist traps and we have had very little problems with our 25 ft. TT. 

In the end, you simply learn to adapt to the size trailer you have. Even our 25 ft. TT was to large for some of the camping spots we wanted to try in AZ, you would be hard put to put a PUP into some.

That said, virtually all the bigger commercial campground, KOA, Yogi etc. could accommodate even the biggest rigs. The National and State Parks mostly but not always.

Finally a lot depends on your camping style, we tend to move every three or four days to the next attraction, other stay put for a week or two.

Good Luck 

Just an update.....wife is onboard with the Fuzion 371 and the Grand Design 351........I am good with the 371 because it is about 20-40 thousand dollars cheaper......I do like the Grand Design....hoping to find a used one.

Good news on the agreement, at least you won't have the cost of a divorce to contend with  ;D ;D

Hope you find one that you like soon.....

lone_star_dsl said:
I don't want to start a big argument here, but your numbers are either outdated or purely subjective.  My 2016 Ram 3500 DRW has a GCWR of 39,100 lbs which leaves me with about 30,000 lbs of towing capacity. I've hauled that much weight many times and there is certainly no need for a MDT to do it.
Grashley wasn?t referring to the towing capacity. -  he was referring to how much weight the truck can carry.  About 20% of the FW?s weight goes right on the truck?s rear axle.  Check your door sticker for cargo carrying capacity and you?ll see what he?s talking about.

Old Blevins said:
Grashley wasn?t referring to the towing capacity. -  he was referring to how much weight the truck can carry.  About 20% of the FW?s weight goes right on the truck?s rear axle.  Check your door sticker for cargo carrying capacity and you?ll see what he?s talking about.

According to the ALL MIGHTY yellow sticker on my truck, I'm good for 5,516 lbs. That's a 27,580 lb fifth wheel at 20% or 22,064 lb fifth wheel at 25%.  There's no reason for a MDT if your fifth wheel is less than 30,000 lbs and you have the pin capacity for it. My truck is a loaded crew cab, long bed. A regular cab Ram 3500 is good for 6,580 lbs of payload which means a fifth wheel weighing nearly 33,000 lbs.

MDT's for towing are a dying breed. Pick up trucks have enormous capacities nowadays. If someone were looking for more, a HDT would be a smarter choice.

When you consider the other loads in the truck, those numbers are going to go down by 3-5, 000 lb. or more each.

Ernie

Rene T said:
Just to add a little flair to this post, when I first read the title, I said to myself, no way am I getting into the middle if this one. Bad me!!!  :eek: ::) :'( ;)

I'm sure if it was me that posted it you would have run screaming with your hair on fire. Well, maybe not your hair on fire.

As for the OP; if you go with the shorter RV and it doesn't work out you will be dog poo for quite awhile. If you go with the longer unit and it doesn't work out you will still be dog poo but at least you'll know it wasn't your fault. If you go with the shorter unit and it works out.....just kidding, it won't.

Oldgator73 said:
As for the OP; if you go with the shorter RV and it doesn't work out you will be dog poo for quite awhile. If you go with the longer unit and it doesn't work out you will still be dog poo but at least you'll know it wasn't your fault. If you go with the shorter unit and it works out.....just kidding, it won't.

Advice from a man with a Winnie Drop :) Just sayin',  ;D

Back
Top Bottom