No desire to fly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The last time I flew was coming home from Granddaughter's graduation in Florida. It was the day Delta's computer system went haywire, and I ended up stuck overnight in Atlanta, abandoned (Along with several thousand of my closest friends) by the airline.

Lars, I'll bet that's the same time we were there on our way to a family wedding.  We slept on the floor that night.  Definitely not a fun 36 hours!!!  Delta cancelled 500 flights in Atlanta alone because of bad weather.

ArdraF

My dad was an air frame/hydraulics instructor with the RCAF during the war. He would drive five days before flying five minutes. When I asked why he replied " I am always afraid I would look out the window and see one of my former students on the ground crew. After some of the stunts those guys pulled I won't take that chance." ;D I think he was serious.

Three years of flying out Sunday night or Monday morning and flying home Friday night of Saturday morning did it for me.  I haven't flow since 1995.  9/11 cinched it.

Planes, hotels and restaurant meals get old in a hurry. I knew people that made their living doing that but it was hard on them and their families. AIDS (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrom) was common.

It used to be a pleasure to look forward to and you would dress for the occasion,,then the airlines made "cattle barges" out of the business and made it affordable for most everyone,, even the "scumbags" seen today with no class and less brains.>>>Dan (33 years as director of maintenance for airlines)

Dance Chick said:
It doesn't help that a friend we've made is a retired pilot. He will not set foot on a commercial flight. He's very unimpressed with today's pilot training, etc.

My former brother-in-law was as an airframe mechanic in the Everett Boeing factory.  He was part of the crew that took the 777 on it's checkout flights and the initial worldwide demonstration flights.

He refuses to board a commercial flight unless it's absolutely necessary, and he's a been a nervous wreck on the few flights he's been forced to take.  He says it's because he KNOWS everything that can go wrong with the airplane while it's in the air.

Your BIL would not fit as a test pilot?? All humor aside, I don't have any reservations about the airframe,, it's the jerks you have to sit with that bother me.>>>D

I was a pilot for the last 25 years of my career, and I owned two airplanes before that. I was a Navy helicopter crewman before that, and now I fly commercially all over the U.S. and abroad at least once a month... usually more. When I get to my destination and I'm working with clients, it's often in an airplane  or helicopter. Seems like my whole life has revolved around flying.

Without a doubt, flying commercially is my least favorite type of flying. I despise it. Not necessarily the flying itself, but everything I've got to do to get through the system. I'm a part of every program there is to get expedited through the process, and they are helpful, but it's still a giant PITA. That's exactly why my logo on my profile says, "Can't wait to spend more time RVing."

Kev

I don't know anyone that flies more than you Kev. But truthfully one of the best flight experiences I ever had was with you on the ride along! I'm afraid my upcoming flight won't be nearly as memorable.

Kevin Means said:
Without a doubt, flying commercially is my least favorite type of flying. I despise it. Not necessarily the flying itself, but everything I've got to do to get through the system.

Kevin,
Your opinion of commercial flying combined with your extensive flying experience affirms my thoughts of this "system".
I actually wouldn't mind standing in line with my little baggie of appropriately sized liquids if this exercise performed some remotely useful purpose.
Perhaps I read too many spy novels, but a bic pen in the hands of someone trained can create far more damage and mayhem than my 6 ounce oversized bottle of contact lens solution.....

Now if they would only build that bridge to Honolulu for us to see our grand kids......

I'm afraid my upcoming flight won't be nearly as memorable.

Marty, it might be memorable - but not for the reasons you think!! ::)

ArdraF

I just flew to see my new grandbaby. I had not flown by myself in twenty years so i was nervous.  After boarding, they announced there was a small technical problem which would take five minutes to fix once the mechanic arrived.  We sat there for 45 minutes ..then he arrived and it took 30 more to fix so we were an hour and a half late.  Just my luck.  But i made it fine.  I am not anxious to fly again.

To be fair, I had some great experiences with commercial flight. Once on a flight to London, I was bumped to 1st Class, and flew through the wee morning hours with Hale-Bopp shining in my window, and watched the dawn over the Eastern Atlantic. And on the return flight, flew over the Greenland Ice Cap in the Dawn light.
Got a wonderful dawn view of St Helens and her sisters as the plane left Protland, Oregon.
I've shared flights with a number of actors, writers, and Sports professionals, and learned many things while flying on commercial planes.

It was great, once.

commercial flights today are just flying cattle-cars full of humans,  add in the gestapo security searchs and I'm done.

I will take just the RV or a train if I need to go anywhere.

TonyDtorch said:
commercial flights today are just flying cattle-cars full of humans,  add in the gestapo security searchs and I'm done.

I will take just the RV or a train if I need to go anywhere.

x2 !

I had to fly to Denver, to drive a loaded Big Truck.. back to CenCal. I Could Not Believe how PACKED IN we were !! My knee's were against the seat in front.. could hardly fold down the tray thing. Window seat..The lady next to me had to get up, stand in the isle.. so I could get out.. and back in.

That was 2 years ago.. I read something recently where "they" were going to move seats 2" Closer (?).. for MORE passengers ?

I'm DONE FLYING.  :(

We flew to Texas last year,  it reminded me of being herded on to a C141 transport .....but as I remember the C141 had more room inside  ;)

and you can't take a Bus anymore,      you hear on the news almost every week of a Bus tire blow out crash.   

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom