EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com ARPC LLC Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: No desire to fly  (Read 1130 times)

BinaryBob

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: No desire to fly
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2017, 01:01:43 pm »

Without a doubt, flying commercially is my least favorite type of flying. I despise it. Not necessarily the flying itself, but everything I've got to do to get through the system.

Kevin,
Your opinion of commercial flying combined with your extensive flying experience affirms my thoughts of this "system".
I actually wouldn't mind standing in line with my little baggie of appropriately sized liquids if this exercise performed some remotely useful purpose.
Perhaps I read too many spy novels, but a bic pen in the hands of someone trained can create far more damage and mayhem than my 6 ounce oversized bottle of contact lens solution.....
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 37B

"Every hobby perpetuates its arcane mysteries. How else would we impress the newbies with our superior knowledge?"
--Gary RV Roamer--

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2017, 03:35:33 pm »
Now if they would only build that bridge to Honolulu for us to see our grand kids......

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 04:25:08 pm »
Now if they would only build that bridge to Honolulu for us to see our grand kids......

That would be perfect...  ;D ::)
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 05:05:28 pm »
I'm afraid my upcoming flight won't be nearly as memorable.

Marty, it might be memorable - but not for the reasons you think!! ::)

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

Peggyy

• ---
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2017, 07:47:43 pm »
I just flew to see my new grandbaby. I had not flown by myself in twenty years so i was nervous.  After boarding, they announced there was a small technical problem which would take five minutes to fix once the mechanic arrived.  We sat there for 45 minutes ..then he arrived and it took 30 more to fix so we were an hour and a half late.  Just my luck.  But i made it fine.  I am not anxious to fly again.
GMC Sierra 2012
2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 264BHW Travel Trailer
sweet home Alabama

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2017, 09:28:57 pm »
Marty, it might be memorable - but not for the reasons you think!! ::)

ArdraF

I know Ardra, and that is what bothers me!
Marty--
2013 Phaeton 36GH SOLD!
It's here! 2017 Allegro Bus 40SP
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo w/ Ami the tiny co-pilot
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2017, 12:06:51 pm »
To be fair, I had some great experiences with commercial flight. Once on a flight to London, I was bumped to 1st Class, and flew through the wee morning hours with Hale-Bopp shining in my window, and watched the dawn over the Eastern Atlantic. And on the return flight, flew over the Greenland Ice Cap in the Dawn light.
Got a wonderful dawn view of St Helens and her sisters as the plane left Protland, Oregon.
I've shared flights with a number of actors, writers, and Sports professionals, and learned many things while flying on commercial planes.

It was great, once.
2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2017, 01:22:07 pm »
commercial flights today are just flying cattle-cars full of humans,  add in the gestapo security searchs and I'm done.

I will take just the RV or a train if I need to go anywhere.

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2017, 03:30:59 pm »
commercial flights today are just flying cattle-cars full of humans,  add in the gestapo security searchs and I'm done.

I will take just the RV or a train if I need to go anywhere.

x2 !

I had to fly to Denver, to drive a loaded Big Truck.. back to CenCal. I Could Not Believe how PACKED IN we were !! My knee's were against the seat in front.. could hardly fold down the tray thing. Window seat..The lady next to me had to get up, stand in the isle.. so I could get out.. and back in.

That was 2 years ago.. I read something recently where "they" were going to move seats 2" Closer (?).. for MORE passengers ?

I'm DONE FLYING.  :(
Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Beck & Sheeka the Dogs.. with Bob, the In-Charge Cat. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the Kitten in Training.

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2017, 09:07:48 pm »
We flew to Texas last year,   it reminded me of being herded on to a C141 transport .....but as I remember the C141 had more room inside  ;)

and you can't take a Bus anymore,      you hear on the news almost every week of a Bus tire blow out crash.   

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2017, 09:10:14 pm »
We flew to Texas last year,   it reminded me of being herded on to a C141 transport .....but as I remember the C141 had more room inside  ;)   

I flew to Vietnam in a C141 back in 1968. They were like a canvas/mesh seat and we all faced the back of the plane.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

BIG JOE

• ---
  • Twice Retired
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2017, 11:41:20 pm »
I flew to Vietnam in a C141 back in 1968. They were like a canvas/mesh seat and we all faced the back of the plane.

I've got probably 500+ hours in 141's, 130's, and C-5's combined... Yes flying backwards.. and sometimes sideways.. but Much More Comfortable.. even in the Jump Seats. At least you could take turns crap'n out on the baggage pallet ?

USAF C-141's & Navy C-130's were the SeaBee's.. Primary Mode of Transport, back in the day. 

Ahhh.. Memory Lane.  :) The stories I could tell  ;) ;D ;D
Joe

Tow an 016 29RS "Reflection" 5r w/Trailair pin box...with a 2012 Ford DRW, F-350, 4x4, Loaded de-Blinged Lariat CC, 6.7 Diesel.. Wife & I, Beck & Sheeka the Dogs.. with Bob, the In-Charge Cat. And as of 5-17.. Lizzie, the Kitten in Training.

bsandey

• ---
    • The Dawghouse
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2017, 05:35:12 pm »
I haven't flown since before 9/11, and the restrictions started. I used to travel about once every month to 2 months for work, and never really had any problems with what I could bring on and what I couldn't. I have since started a new job, and have not had to fly for any reason since then.

However, after 13+ years at this company, they now want me to make a trip to the corporate office. They make it sound like it's some type of pilgrimage that I should do, and it will be an enlightening experience. I'm really not looking forward to it, but when the boss says I go, I go.
2008 Jeep Patriot
2018 Aliner Ascape
http://dawghouse.sandey.org/

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo w/ Ami the tiny co-pilot
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2017, 08:51:25 am »
I haven't flown since before 9/11, and the restrictions started. I used to travel about once every month to 2 months for work, and never really had any problems with what I could bring on and what I couldn't. I have since started a new job, and have not had to fly for any reason since then.

However, after 13+ years at this company, they now want me to make a trip to the corporate office. They make it sound like it's some type of pilgrimage that I should do, and it will be an enlightening experience. I'm really not looking forward to it, but when the boss says I go, I go.

A (few) word(s) to the wise.
Don't go for the Cheap Seats.
If possible, take non-stop flight.
Fly early! It usually takes them a few hours to really screw up the schedules.

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

Hosted by Over The Network