Tow Bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrschwarz

I know this is a loaded question, but here goes...I need tow bar recommendations.

I currently have a Blue Ox Aventa II. It is more than 10 years old and we have been full timing for more than 5 years. It has been rebuilt twice. It's getting rusty and loose. While watching the toad in the rear view monitor this morning, I saw a bit of wandering and it looked like it was coming from the front of the tow bar. I think it's time to replace it.

I have a lifted Jeep Wrangler with a Rock Hard bumper. It has Blue Ox tabs on it, so any tow bar that can mount or adapt to that would work. I have a bike rack adapter that slides over the hitch so I need about 9" between the end of the tow bar and receiver. I have and Air Force One supplemental brake unit and lights are taken care of, so all I care about is the tow bar itself.

A dealer in Mesa told me that for every 10 Blue Ox tow bars he repairs, he sees one Roadmaster. I don't know if this is the truth or if he makes more money on Roadmaster products (it doesn't matter since I'm not in Mesa and won't be buying from him).

One of the features I would like an improvement on is being able to disconnect when everything is not level and lined up. That would be a time saver.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Take a look at the ReadyBrute tow bar. The Elite version has an integrated brake system, but if you don't need it, there's also a version without it. The ReadyBrute is an 8,000 lb rated aluminum all-terrain tow bar and NSA, the manufacturer, can supply it with the correct arm ends for any of the popular base plates. We've towed over 50,000 miles with our ReadyBrute Elite, and have been very pleased with its performance.

X2 for the ReadyBrute,very satisfied with it.. eight years towing Saturn outlook,two years towing 2011 HHR

mrschwarz said:
I know this is a loaded question, but here goes...I need tow bar recommendations.
One of the features I would like an improvement on is being able to disconnect when everything is not level and lined up. That would be a time saver.
Thanks in advance for your responses.

mrschwarz
In that case you want any one of the Roadmaster All-Terrain.. (Non-Binding)... tow bars:
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/products/towbars/all_terrain.html

I think the Roadmaster All-Terrain models and the Blue Ox Aventa are a toss-up as far as quality and capability, but if you think that Mesa dealer may be on to something, go with one of the Roadmaster "non-binding" models. They are adaptable to Blue Ox bases. Nothing wrong with the NSA Ready Brute or the Demco either, but I have no first hand experience with them.

All the flexible, non-binding, type tow bars have multiple joints & seals and typically need rebuilding more often than the simple "A" types.

We tow either an Acura MDX or a lifted Jeep LJ with 35" tires. The Acura has always been rock solid with our Blu Ox tow bar, but the LJ "wandered" a bit, even though the lift, tires and suspension were brand new.

When towing the Jeep, the tow bar had a slight up angle from the RV to the Jeep. (About 2".) After some suggestions from folks here, I installed a riser with two more inches of height, and hitch clamps on both sides of the riser. Problem solved. The Jeep is now as stable as the Acura.

Kev

Thanks everyone for your responses. It turns out the Blue Ox has a trade in program that will save me significant money. The lure of saving a couple of bucks proved irresistible. I have a new Avail on its way.

Take a look at the DEMCO bars.  I have had one version or another for 16 years and have had good service from them.  BTW, I also have the older EXCALI-BAR for sale as well as the newer one.  They are both steel and the older one has an 8000# rating and the newer one is 6000# rated.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom