Question about winter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BCBowtech

My wife and I are possibly going to start full time RV living this summer but I have a question about winter.

We live on the west coast of British Columbia so most of our winter is rain but we do get the occasional cold snap with freezing and snow.
We also love to go on cruise's in the winter so my question is what would be the best course of action for leaving our RV in the winter for a week to two weeks max while we are away? Should I full winterize it for the time we are gone? or is there a simpler way?

BCBowtech said:
My wife and I are possibly going to start full time RV living this summer but I have a question about winter.

We live on the west coast of British Columbia so most of our winter is rain but we do get the occasional cold snap with freezing and snow.
We also love to go on cruise's in the winter so my question is what would be the best course of action for leaving our RV in the winter for a week to two weeks max while we are away? Should I full winterize it for the time we are gone? or is there a simpler way?

If there is a chance of the temperature remaining below freezing for  2 or 3 days in a row, then yes, you will need to winterize. Many people just blow everything down with compressed air and don't use antifreeze. Or can you find a storage place that's heated?

So basically drain all tanks, and then where do you blow out the lines with compressed air?

Im not too sure about finding heated storage around here. Also that would mean hooking up and taking away and then picking up when we got back where I would also much rather be able to leave it where we will be staying..

BCBowtech said:
So basically drain all tanks, and then where do you blow out the lines with compressed air?

Im not too sure about finding heated storage around here. Also that would mean hooking up and taking away and then picking up when we got back where I would also much rather be able to leave it where we will be staying..

You would need to connect the air hose to the water inlet. You'll need about 40 PSI. Then once pressurized, you'll need to go around and open all your faucets one at a time to get all the water out. You'll also need to run your water pump a few seconds to get all the water out of it. Then you have your washing machine lines, ice maker and toilet.

You don't mention what RV you have, and that can make a difference in some procedures.

Many people just blow everything down with compressed air and don't use antifreeze.

While this is great for many people, some rigs will sustain damage during a freeze if you do this (most any coach with Aqua Hot or an equivalent hydronic system, for example) because there can sometimes be little nooks or crannies in a system that air pressure alone can't completely clear of water.

As Larry says, it really does depend on what kind of RV you have, or will be buying.  Do you live right on the coast or are you up in the Fraser Valley somewhere. The difference would be or could be significant.  I have recently moved to Agassiz and will be winterizing my 5th wheel at the right time when I get it down here. It is stored up in the interior right now. My unit does not have enclosed plumbing and that could make a big difference from what your situation might be. Also we are not full timers so will not be using it during the winter season.  Have you arranged for a home location yet (RV park somewhere). You may be able to just leave heat on in the vehicle while you are away.  You can always get a two-week forecast from Environment Canada to guide you in what you might have to do. If the temperature is to go under zero C., then you may want to blow the lines and add some antifreeze to the traps, but again it depends on your situation.
Share a little more info, like kind of RV, actual location area, etc. and perhaps we can work out a reasonable plan without having to go overboard.
Always nice to see more "Canucks" on here.  Welcome.
Gord

We are looking at buying a Outdoors RV Black Stone with the 4 season package so the lines are all in a insulated area.  We will be staying in Victoria, BC for the winter, we havent arranged a permanent spot as of yet but once we do it will be somewhere with power and water etc..

I just wasnt sure if it would be safe to leave the heat going while away.

Back
Top Bottom