Ford F150 Towing 5th Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

behing19

My wife and I are going back and forth between a 5th wheel and a TT because it seems many 5th wheels offer more space and are in our budget. We purchased a 2001 Ford F150 7700 from the original owner who bought it new to tow his 5th wheel (I believe it was a 27-foot, but may have only been 25-foot).

I know, for some, it's taboo to even mention using a 1/2 ton to pull a fifth wheel, but I need to know what we are getting into if we go this route. We are not weekend campers, but full timers and our plans, at least for the next year don't include much mountain driving. However, we will do some mountain driving the following year, if all goes to plan.

How can I tell if I can pull a 5th wheel or not? I know my numbers when it comes to a travel trailer, but I remember reading there is another calculation needed for a 5th wheel because you're putting weight on the bed. Can someone please explain how I figure that out?

Most of the 5th wheels we are looking at are less than 25 feet long and have a dry weight under 5K.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Here's what the 2001 Ford towing brochure says:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/2001/campercd.pdf

Look at page 20.

The highest GCWR fir any 2001 F-150 is 13,500# Weigh your pick-up with it loaded as if you were going camping. This includes all the passengers, cargo, firewood, wife's pocketbook, everything..., then subtract that weight from the GCWR for your truck as listed above. Subtract another 200# for a fifth wheel hitch. That won't leave much for a fifth wheel of any size.
If you are wanting a fiver for more space, and especially if you're towing in the mountains, you need a bigger truck.

behing19 said:
I know my numbers when it comes to a travel trailer, but I remember reading there is another calculation needed for a 5th wheel because you're putting weight on the bed. Can someone please explain how I figure that out?

The numbers are all the same. The major difference is that you're typically putting 10% to 15% hitch weight on the truck with a TT but 20% to 25% with a 5th wheel. For this reason, many trucks that are within their max tow capacity do not have the cargo capacity to handle the extra "pin weight" of a 5th wheel.

Not only will he not have the payload capacity, the GCWR is a big hindrance to him. A decent built fifth wheel of a size suitable to full-time in will weigh more than his GCWR of 13,500#.

behing19 said:
I know, for some, it's taboo to even mention using a 1/2 ton to pull a fifth wheel, but I need to know what we are getting into if we go this route. We are not weekend campers, but full timers and our plans, at least for the next year don't include much mountain driving. However, we will do some mountain driving the following year, if all goes to plan.

How can I tell if I can pull a 5th wheel or not? I know my numbers when it comes to a travel trailer, but I remember reading there is another calculation needed for a 5th wheel because you're putting weight on the bed. Can someone please explain how I figure that out?

Most of the 5th wheels we are looking at are less than 25 feet long and have a dry weight under 5K.

Thank you in advance for your help!

You've got that right. they will be along shortly.
I would suggest looking at the Manual for your particular truck.
Ford's towing guide has all the info you need.
I've done it before but had to search a long time to find a 5th wheel that we liked and worked with the truck.

hi
There are 5 weight limits you have to calculate and consider and take into account a margin of safety for stopping, emergency moves and bad drivers, wind from side and FVer frontal area for example.

I posted how to go through each calculation at the link below and you may find the information there helpful because it's complete.  The example is for a TT but all the concepts are the same with two exceptions:

Instead of estimating a tongue weight of 10-12 % for a TT, you need to multiply your FVers GROSS weight (NOT DRY WEIGHT) by 20 to 25% and add that weight when you are checking your allowable payload limit.  And the FVer hitch could be ~50 to 200#, which also figures into your towing limit and the Payload limit.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,105037.0.html
Scroll through all responses, they may help.

One last caution, when checking limits, use an estimated camper weight that is loaded and has water, wastewater, propane, food et.  What you put in the unit could add 1200-1500# or more, so that hitch weight (tongue) is now ~ 6600# x 25%, or 1650#.  Don't know the max payload of your truck but you could be too close for comfort. Good luck finding a safe and comfortable combo. Linda

this guide is the easiest way to figure out if your truck can tow the 5er that you want

http://www.towingplanner.com/Calculators/TowingPayloadEstimate/?ccc=4125&dw=235&pw=165&hw=250&bd=125&ct=FW

Much good advise above.

I am one who says NO WAY, and this is why.

Fill the gas tank and get the truck weighed.  Subtract this from the truck GVWR on the tire placard.  This is the MOST weight you may add to the truck.  This is your remaining payload.

Now add together the weight of all passengers and cargo you will take camping, not in the truck when it was weighed.  Add 200# for  FW hitch (or 50# for an Andersen Ultimate hitch) and subtract this from your remaining payload.  This is your max pin weight you can handle.

Assuming 20% pin wt, multiply by 5 to get the max GVWR of the FW your truck can handle.

By comparison, the calculation for a TT is almost the same, BUT  use 80# for WD hitch instead of the FW hitch.  Assuming 12.5% hitch wt, multiply your max hitch wt by 8.  You have more payload available and a lighter pin / hitch wt = more camper.

I am not saying you can not tow ANY  FW, but those you can are rare.  The salesman will beg to differ, but they use dry wt, and nobody goes camping in an empty camper!  By the time you add some cargo to the FW, you are usually way overweight!

My wife and I are going back and forth between a 5th wheel and a TT because it seems many 5th wheels offer more space and are in our budget. We purchased a 2001 Ford F150 7700 from the original owner
I presume the 7700 is the trucks GVWR. Thats a good stout truck for small 5th wheel trailer.

Per Fords '01 Fleet service spec website;
7700 GVWR
4800 RAWR
4150 FAWR
5.4 engine
16" LT C and D tires
8800 lb reg cab 5th wheel tow rating
8600 lb super cab 5th wheel tow rating.

The tire placard payload became mandatory in '06 so the ''01 probably doesn't have one.

Trucks don't have a GCWR on then anywhere.  Tranny change .....engine change...gear swap can change a GCWR number.

That year model F150 can weigh in the 2400-2500 lb range on the rear axle leaving around 2300-2400 lbs for a payload in the bed.
A 8600 lb 5th wheel trailer can have a  20 % hitch weight = 1720 lbs. Now add 200 lbs for the  5th wheel hitch.....and add another 100 lbs of necessary junk in the bed. The rear axle only carries a percent of occupants in the seats.
Every truck owner should know the trucks front and rear axle weight numbers. Get them weighed separately as a gross weight doesn't tell you if the trucks axles/tires  are over loaded.

The truck will be fine for a 8600 lb 5th wheel trailer as long as your not loading the kitchen sink or the wifes rock collection.

The OP wanted a fifth wheel for the extra space. He will not get any "extra space" with a fifth wheel that has a GVWR of 8600#.

Sorry OP, my opinion is you will be hating life. Not sure where you reside, but if you hit anything more than an anthill in elevation, you will be in the right lane with the blinkers on at 25 mph.

260hp/350lb/ft of TQ is not something to brag about. My last gasser was 381hp/401TQ and 7200 lbs sucked anywhere other than flat land under 60 mph.

I really hope you decide on something smaller or a bigger truck. Trust me, being floored and near out of control all the time is exhausting.

Attachments

• IMG_1254.PNG
    IMG_1254.PNG
    211.5 KB · Views: 12
Thank you all for your help, except for those piping in and telling me I need a bigger truck. I love it when people do that and assume we can all just go blow $30K on a bigger truck or want to finance anything. The truck we have is what we will be using.

I do appreciate the help with figuring out the calculations for sure. We are not sure which way we are going, but we will be looking at a Travel trailer tomorrow with a brand new roof (not just the rubber, but the entire thing) and a few other new things. It's in pretty good condition and a Jayco from 1993. I know it's older, but we like the way it looks online, at least and everything is supposed to work. We will find out tomorrow.

Again, thank you.

With all due respect to the poster - if you cant afford a vehicle capable of towing what you want maybe you need to reconsider your priorities. I know personally i wanted a larger 5er for years but i had to move up in stages to get want i wanted and even purchased a truck capable of towing the wanted trailer 2 years before getting the trailer. Sometimes rushing things will cost you more in the long run
Cheers

OP, you asked for recommendations and that is what you are getting. 
If you don't want to get a different truck, then get a TT.  Your truck can probably handle a TT ok.

RVRAC said:
OP, you asked for recommendations and that is what you are getting. 
If you don't want to get a different truck, then get a TT.  Your truck can probably handle a TT ok.

This....so much.

Where is that "like" button?

Thank you all for your help, except for those piping in and telling me I need a bigger truck. I love it when people do that and assume we can all just go blow $30K on a bigger truck or want to finance anything. The truck we have is what we will be using

The answers perhaps left out half the equation. It's "more truck or less trailer".

There are 5W's available that at least some half tons can tow, but they tend to be 25 ft or less. Older ones (80's vintage) were often lighter with fewer amenities and small water tanks, so you might find a larger on in that age bracket.

With the limited payload capability of most half tons, a travel trailer is a more practical choice. 10% hitch weight vs 20-25%, so much less payload needed.

A 5th wheel trailer uses the same weight calculations as a pull trailer, except for the hitch weight and how it's carried by the truck.

A pull trailer's equalizing hitch forces the front of the truck downwards as it restores a level posture to the truck and trailer.  This means when the equalizing arms are properly adjusted, a pull trailer's pin weight will be distributed between both axles of the truck with each only carrying part of the load.

Trailer Life magazine dramatically demonstrated this principle back in the 1960s when they hitched a trailer to a new front wheel drive Oldsmobile Toronado.  They cranked the equalizing bars all the way up, removed the car's rear wheels and took the rig for a drive with the rear axle suspended in mid air. A CHP officer who encountered them on the freeway wasn't amused.

A 5th wheel hitch sits directly over the truck's rear axle, so all of the 5th wheel trailer's hitch weight is on that axle.

This is where most half ton pickups come up short - even though a 5th wheel meets all of the other weight limits, the truck's the rear axle doesn't have enough capacity to carry the weight of the truck, it's share of the payload you place in it, the weight of the 5th wheel hitch and the pin weight of the 5th wheel trailer.

Thank you all for your help, except for those piping in and telling me I need a bigger truck. I love it when people do that and assume we can all just go blow $30K on a bigger truck or want to finance anything. The truck we have is what we will be using.
That stems from the fact most folks don't know what your 7700 GVWR F150 trucks capabilities are so they just say get a bigger truck.  They key in on the F150 and lump them all together.
And we have some rv folks that don't think a 1/2 ton truck regardless of its GVWR/RAWR/tow rating numbers, can tow a proper size 5th wheel trailer.

5er or a TT...check both out.

longhaul said:
That stems from the fact most folks don't know what your 7700 GVWR F150 trucks capabilities are so they just say get a bigger truck.  They key in on the F150 and lump them all together.
And we have some rv folks that don't think a 1/2 ton truck regardless of its GVWR/RAWR/tow rating numbers, can tow a proper size 5th wheel trailer.

5er or a TT...check both out.

Actually, most of us have real world experiences and in light of what you might think. You know the term "been there, done that" cliche'.

Trust me OP, this setup sucks ass in anything other than flat land....and the Tundra has over 100 hp more, better drivetrain set up for towing. This load is 7200 lbs. I even hooked my buddies 2016 F150 EcoBoost 3.5L to this and that sucked.

Attachments

• IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1273.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 40
Back
Top Bottom