EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Getting off of I-20W and onto some Lesser Highways in MS, LA & TX  (Read 511 times)

samanthahhi

• ---
    • Tribal Apps - Affordable Business Apps for Small Businesses - Lead Your Tribe Today!
My son and I are traveling out West and want to find a few interesting stops along the way between Meridian, MS and Austin, TX. Already panning on coming back on I-10, so going out, I am interested in coming off of I-20 if there are some neat places to stop. Seems like it could be interesting to route ourselves towards Natchez,  Natchitoches (like the sound of it, but don't know if it is much to visit) and though Lufkin and Crockett on down to Austin. Any recommendations? Or should I just get us on out to Austin and enjoy the area?

Thank you!

Samantha
Samantha - Bluffton, SC
Co-pilot, Brodie (son)

2009 GMC Yukon 4.8
2014 Nomad 241 and loving it!!

LarsMac

• ---
  • Larry and Margo w/ Ami the tiny co-pilot
Re: Getting off of I-20W and onto some Lesser Highways in MS, LA & TX
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 07:35:27 PM »
Natchez and Vicksburg are interesting.

2000 Itasca Sundancer 430V
2007 Saturn Vue

If you lose your sense of humor, it's just not funny anymore. - Wavy Gravy

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 07:49:53 PM »
Natchez and Vicksburg are interesting.
Be aware that much of the Vicksburg NP including the USS Cairo museum are closed due to high water.  Depending upon when your trip is planned, you may find a LOT of flooding throughout the Mississippi Valley that may limit your tour access.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

rvannie23

• ---
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 08:26:39 PM »
Hi! I do the drive from Meridian to Austin on 20  and from Meridian to San Antonio on 10 extremely often. I cut up from 10 through Alexandria and into Natchez once. The scenery is nice but not much to actually do. Vicksburg is very cool wth a nice downtown area. It's right off 20 though so you won't have to venture far.  In my opinion you should stick to 20 into Texas and then make some small stops along i35S on the way to Austin. Canton has a cool swap shop and THE BEST burger place ever called the Dairy Palace. Temple is also supposed to be neat though I have never stopped. Make sure to visit a buc-ees if you have never been.

Your drive back on 10 has much more to do and see. If you take 35S from Austin to get to 10 stop in Buda and San Marcos. If you don't mind going out of the way a bit, New Braunfels is also nice. You will go through some neat little towns before Houston as well. In LA Baton Rouge is cool, and depending on where you cut back up on 55 or 59 through Mississippi you will go through Hattiesburg which has a very nice park to stop at and is the last major "city" before meridian.

2014 Laredo 274rb TT
2015 Duramax
FL - MS - TX

Bob Maxwell

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smile, and the world smiles with you . . .
    • The American Southwest
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 07:24:41 PM »
US 92 does som good meandering. . . Like US 2 in the north country.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 07:32:52 PM by Bob Maxwell »
Adiós. . .

Bob †
and wife Betty Font 

. . . still ridin' for the brand.

1994 Suncruiser 34RQ, Cummins 5.9L/230 Allison 3060
'08 Kia Spectra5,
FMCA SKP

Holbrook AZ, west of the Petrified Forrest NP on I-40

johnhicks

• ---
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 10:37:34 PM »
  You can take US 84 from Brunswick, Ga. to way past Lufkin. It's a decent road; from east Alabama to Texas the surface is "moderate chop."

No idea about things to do.

samanthahhi

• ---
    • Tribal Apps - Affordable Business Apps for Small Businesses - Lead Your Tribe Today!
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 08:27:42 AM »
Thank you all! Good tips. We will be staying a few nights in New Braunfels - anyone have a recommendation on a favorite RV park?

Sounds like I should get on past the So. states via I-20 and maybe spend a little more time on TX. I am meeting up with ppl in San Antonio, then heading out to tour Big Bend (in the dead of summer...I know...and NO HIKING!), then on to NM and AZ, then return home via 10 through New Orleans. I've just got to admit it, I am a western states kinda gal :-)

rvannie23 > You had me at "THE BEST burger place ever" lol!
Samantha - Bluffton, SC
Co-pilot, Brodie (son)

2009 GMC Yukon 4.8

PopPop51

• ---
    • Uptown Tech
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 08:42:45 AM »
On one trip to Austin we got off I-20 at Tyler and stayed at KE Bushman's Camp in Rusk https://www.bushmansrvpark.com/. We also toured the Kiepersol winery and distillery there http://kiepersol.com/home, then took a ride on the Texas State Railroad http://texasstaterailroad.net/.
The TSRR has recently come under new management and things appear to be in flux, but operating, there.
Paul--
2004 Ford Excursion V-10 ("Moose")
2010 Keystone Outback 270BH ("Squirrel")
2016 Mazda MX5 Miata ("Roadster")
##37 States So Far...##

blw2

• ---
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 07:35:25 PM »
i used to travel in the paper industry, and spent some time through many of these areas.  Spent a lot in Natchitoches.  Remember a really great cajun style seafood dinner one night in a cute little downtown right there on the riverfront.... but I've gotta say I don't remember anything else there.  Also spent a little timein Vicksburg......but this was all a long time ago.

Getting ready to make a trip on part of that route myself and I'm struggling to figure some places to stop.  I think I was just burned out by that area so nothing is appealing to me.

A suggestion for you though...
roadtrippers.com
great way to find points of interest
Brad (DW + 3 kids)
’13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 08:13:57 PM »
My son and I are traveling out West and want to find a few interesting stops along the way between Meridian, MS and Austin, TX. Already panning on coming back on I-10, so going out, I am interested in coming off of I-20 if there are some neat places to stop. Seems like it could be interesting to route ourselves towards Natchez,  Natchitoches (like the sound of it, but don't know if it is much to visit) and though Lufkin and Crockett on down to Austin. Any recommendations? Or should I just get us on out to Austin and enjoy the area?

Thank you!

Samantha
How long do you have? One place you might find interesting is First Monday Trade Days, 800 Flea Market Rd, Canton, TX 75103, firstmondaycanton.com, (903) 567-6556.
Once in the Fort Worth Dallas area there are to many things to list.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

prfcdoc

• ---
  • Happy to be alive!
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 10:40:52 AM »
Big Bend is awesome, even in the summer. Take the river road (in your air conditioned vehicle) and just get out occasionally. The heat is tolerable that way. Don't try that while towing though.🤔 You can also go up into the basin where it's several degrees cooler.
Bob
Bob & Kathy
Saving and researching for our future extended road trip.
2017 F350, Diesel
5th wheel TBD

samanthahhi

• ---
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 09:50:34 AM »
blw 2 > Just came across roadtrippers...Yay!
Samantha - Bluffton, SC
Co-pilot, Brodie (son)

2009 GMC Yukon 4.8

samanthahhi

• ---
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 09:53:47 AM »
WILDEBILL308 > Good Idea!

prfdoc > that's exactly what I needed to hear about Big Bend. I am thinking of taking a more direct route there and staying in Terlingua so that we can leave out camper unhitched in the morning time and get out and drive. Then we can hitch it back up and drive through Big Bend Ranch and on up to Marfa. Is Big Bend Ranch worth driving through?
Samantha - Bluffton, SC
Co-pilot, Brodie (son)

2009 GMC Yukon 4.8

GR 'Scott' Cundiff

• ---
  • Here and There
    • Here and There
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 12:17:21 PM »
The Texas state highways are pretty good - I can't say as much for MS and LA!  That said, aside from pretty countryside with some nice lakes and lots of forest, I don't think there are any major attractions between Texarkana and Austin via state highways.  Having said that, the good highways and shorter route would take me off of I20/I35 if I were traveling that way.
2008 6.4L SRW F-350 Diesel - 2007 Hitchhiker  - http://travel.pastorscott.com

prfcdoc

• ---
  • Happy to be alive!
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 12:32:31 PM »
Big Bend Ranch is ok but I'd spend my time in the National Park if I was you. My opinion.
Bob
Bob & Kathy
Saving and researching for our future extended road trip.
2017 F350, Diesel
5th wheel TBD

Hosted by Over The Network