Getting off of I-20W and onto some Lesser Highways in MS, LA & TX

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

samanthahhi

My son and I are traveling out West and want to find a few interesting stops along the way between Meridian, MS and Austin, TX. Already panning on coming back on I-10, so going out, I am interested in coming off of I-20 if there are some neat places to stop. Seems like it could be interesting to route ourselves towards Natchez,  Natchitoches (like the sound of it, but don't know if it is much to visit) and though Lufkin and Crockett on down to Austin. Any recommendations? Or should I just get us on out to Austin and enjoy the area?

Thank you!

Samantha

LarsMac said:
Natchez and Vicksburg are interesting.
Be aware that much of the Vicksburg NP including the USS Cairo museum are closed due to high water.  Depending upon when your trip is planned, you may find a LOT of flooding throughout the Mississippi Valley that may limit your tour access.

Hi! I do the drive from Meridian to Austin on 20  and from Meridian to San Antonio on 10 extremely often. I cut up from 10 through Alexandria and into Natchez once. The scenery is nice but not much to actually do. Vicksburg is very cool wth a nice downtown area. It's right off 20 though so you won't have to venture far.  In my opinion you should stick to 20 into Texas and then make some small stops along i35S on the way to Austin. Canton has a cool swap shop and THE BEST burger place ever called the Dairy Palace. Temple is also supposed to be neat though I have never stopped. Make sure to visit a buc-ees if you have never been.

Your drive back on 10 has much more to do and see. If you take 35S from Austin to get to 10 stop in Buda and San Marcos. If you don't mind going out of the way a bit, New Braunfels is also nice. You will go through some neat little towns before Houston as well. In LA Baton Rouge is cool, and depending on where you cut back up on 55 or 59 through Mississippi you will go through Hattiesburg which has a very nice park to stop at and is the last major "city" before meridian.

You can take US 84 from Brunswick, Ga. to way past Lufkin. It's a decent road; from east Alabama to Texas the surface is "moderate chop."

No idea about things to do.

Thank you all! Good tips. We will be staying a few nights in New Braunfels - anyone have a recommendation on a favorite RV park?

Sounds like I should get on past the So. states via I-20 and maybe spend a little more time on TX. I am meeting up with ppl in San Antonio, then heading out to tour Big Bend (in the dead of summer...I know...and NO HIKING!), then on to NM and AZ, then return home via 10 through New Orleans. I've just got to admit it, I am a western states kinda gal :)

rvannie23 > You had me at "THE BEST burger place ever" lol!

i used to travel in the paper industry, and spent some time through many of these areas.  Spent a lot in Natchitoches.  Remember a really great cajun style seafood dinner one night in a cute little downtown right there on the riverfront.... but I've gotta say I don't remember anything else there.  Also spent a little timein Vicksburg......but this was all a long time ago.

Getting ready to make a trip on part of that route myself and I'm struggling to figure some places to stop.  I think I was just burned out by that area so nothing is appealing to me.

A suggestion for you though...
roadtrippers.com
great way to find points of interest

samanthahhi said:
My son and I are traveling out West and want to find a few interesting stops along the way between Meridian, MS and Austin, TX. Already panning on coming back on I-10, so going out, I am interested in coming off of I-20 if there are some neat places to stop. Seems like it could be interesting to route ourselves towards Natchez,  Natchitoches (like the sound of it, but don't know if it is much to visit) and though Lufkin and Crockett on down to Austin. Any recommendations? Or should I just get us on out to Austin and enjoy the area?

Thank you!

Samantha
How long do you have? One place you might find interesting is First Monday Trade Days, 800 Flea Market Rd, Canton, TX 75103, firstmondaycanton.com, (903) 567-6556.
Once in the Fort Worth Dallas area there are to many things to list.
Bill

Big Bend is awesome, even in the summer. Take the river road (in your air conditioned vehicle) and just get out occasionally. The heat is tolerable that way. Don't try that while towing though.? You can also go up into the basin where it's several degrees cooler.
Bob

WILDEBILL308 > Good Idea!

prfdoc > that's exactly what I needed to hear about Big Bend. I am thinking of taking a more direct route there and staying in Terlingua so that we can leave out camper unhitched in the morning time and get out and drive. Then we can hitch it back up and drive through Big Bend Ranch and on up to Marfa. Is Big Bend Ranch worth driving through?

The Texas state highways are pretty good - I can't say as much for MS and LA!  That said, aside from pretty countryside with some nice lakes and lots of forest, I don't think there are any major attractions between Texarkana and Austin via state highways.  Having said that, the good highways and shorter route would take me off of I20/I35 if I were traveling that way.

Back
Top Bottom