RV Thermostat non-responsive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanahawk

I take my travel trailer (2015 NorthTrail by Heartland) on a trip, the heat or a/c is fine. I unhook, head down the road and set up at my next destination.  Now, the thermostat is completely unresponsive. The first time this happened, I had it replaced and marked it up to faulty equipment (even the trailer is only 2 years old).  Now it has happened again.  I am wondering if I am doing something in the hookup / unhook process that is causing the problem.  Is there a reset somewhere?

Not sure what you mean by unresponsive.  I think you need a volt meter and starting at the thermostat start tracing the 12VDC to see where you are loosing power.  RV thermostats are pretty basic.  12VDC in and 12VDC out when heat or cool is called for.  Furnace takes 12VDC plus propane.  AC takes 12VDC and 120VAC.  12V for control. 120V to operate.

Non-responsive means just that.  The thermostat is not digital.  Moving the controls for ac, heat, fan, etc. elicits no response.  There is 12v power up to the thermostat.  Again, any ideas why this is happening when I hookup/unhook?  The thermostat works fine for a trip or 2 then just stops.  Thought maybe I was doing something wrong. 

vanahawk said:
Non-responsive means just that.  The thermostat is not digital.  Moving the controls for ac, heat, fan, etc. elicits no response.  There is 12v power up to the thermostat.

vanahawk
What is the brand name of the thermostat and the model number of the thermostat.

BTW if you see 12V out of the thermostat when it is turned to a higher temperature than the temperature of the air around it... the thermostat is good... (and your problem is in the "wiring from the thermostat to the furnace" or "in the furnace itself").

Are you hooked up to shore power or running off the generator when the thermostat is non-responsive?

I wonder if there is an intermittent connection at a wire crimp or some other terminal that would make the thermostat work sometimes and then sometimes not. A loose crimp or connection will make a connection once in a while, but then jostle those connections while tooling down the road and one loosens up enough so the thermostat won't work.

The thermostat just says Coleman-Made.  No model number.
Yes, I am hooked up to shore power.
The loose connection due to vibration / road travel makes sense.  The thermostat has never stopped working while stationary.  The issue is always when I unhook / move / hookup.  Guess I'll spend some time checking connections.

The model number etc may be on the inside, take the outer cover off... It could also be on the back which will require removing it from the wall to see. They are often just ink-stamped on, not imprinted in the plastic because the plastic casing may be used for different models.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom