Rear Kitchen Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Free Spirit

We brought our new Denali 293RKS to our new home in Green Caye RV Park in Dickinson, Tx. yesterday. Today, while loading her up, it occurred to me that although a rear kitchen was to our liking, it might not have been the best place for a kitchen because of bouncing while being towed. After all, the kitchen is at the other end of the fulcrum.
Has anyone here with a rear kitchen, experienced any problems while on the road, in the way of pots, pans, dishes, etc. flying out of control?

No because we don't carry dishes and only a couple of those copper pans.. Use mostly paper plates, plastic glasses/wine glasses, coffee mugs wrapped in bubble wrap. Keep heavy stuff like pans, etc in the lower cabinets and light stuff above. Put stuff into bins rather that loose. Just be careful opening the reefer door after you stop in case something falls out.

We have a rear kitchen, and we use real dishes (Corelle) and plastic glasses. I put dividers in my upper cabinets, and I do make sure that lightweight stuff goes the top with the glass and metal items on the bottom of the shelf. I also carry my kitchen basics in a top cabinet - oils, flour, sugar, booze, all kinds of stuff. My heavy pans go in a drawer under the oven.

I have had only one bad experience in 3 years. I unexpectedly hit a huge hole at probably 45-50 mph which causes the entire trailer to jump pretty radically. One top cabinet door fell open and stuff came out. It was a mess (flour, honey, ugh). Totally my fault and not something I expect to happen again. I do have to open the refrigerator door carefully after a rough trip, but the rest of the stuff stays where it is supposed to.

We had a rear kitchen and Had latches like these and I can't remember ever having a door open while traveling. We had dishes and glasses in the top cabinets.

https://www.amazon.com/RV-Designer-H315-Black-Latch/dp/B003VAVCY4

As Bruce mentioned, be careful opening the fridge for the first time. We use the safety railing and never had an issue.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Double-Refrigerator-Bar/14504357

Put a towel under the microwave plate and save yourself $100.00  Everything will move....plastic cups,  dishes.  Buy small baskets and store your food items and seasoning in then.  Always be careful opening cabinets after you have stopped.  We use Corelle-ware so we use some of the non-sliding shelf lining between the plates and bowels to help. We try to avoid glass containers, however if we get a food product in one we'll surround it with non-glass items.  For the fridge they sell spring loaded bars to keep your stuff on the shelves..  Same thing, don't place glass next to glass and open careful when you stop.   

In over 25K miles back and forth across the country in the past couple of years, we only broke the microwave plate.  None since we put a dish towel under it.

WildB :Dill

We have rear kitchen.  We use Corelle dishes.  We had a few problems with real coffee cups.  Things move as we do not have any specific bins, etc. to hold things.  Things move but don't break.  The roads make a difference.  If you use I-10 going west from Baton Rouge, then that is a different story.  This is the worse in our experience. 

RK no big deal in the last three years.

Our last trailer wasn't a rear kitchen, but for a while, we had dishes in the cabinet across the back, above the couch. We never had any problems. We had Corelle and other "real" dishes and glasses also.

We had one rear kitchen 5W and yes, stuff moves around and some extra care is needed. Not a showstopper, in my opinion, but something to be aware of. Also had a 5w with a rear wardrobe closet and clothing on hangers got thrown off the bar, hanger and all. 

Travel trailers often do not have shock absorbers on the suspension and that contributes to the bouncing. Aftermarket shock kits are available to help. Rubber suspensions such as the MorRyde seem somewhat less bouncy than leaf springs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom